Speaking of "googling"...

100% free app on the iPhone

awesome! the pill app cost is a monthly subscription for my treo :( also on the website it costs money

I could do a trial run of it, but it is only for 10 days or something. If anyone knows of another program, please let me know.

also, medical wizards makes some really great software for phones/pdas. But they are payware

Edited by FireMedic65

If you type a phone number; or a name and street address into Google, and it's listed; you get their name and address, number. Often, you also get a satellite photo/map of where it is located too. Couple months ago, we had a 2nd due ambulance call. We live in a very small town, the street addresses go no higher than 250. So, when we were dispatched to 8## Main St., I knew they had to be wrong. It was one of those link to life services. They had just the street number, actual street name, last name and nearest intersecting street. So, we stopped in the post office to check on the name. I asked if they had internet service. Went to Google, Typed in the address, and put the intersecting street in quotes. Found the same name, address, a telephone number. I was able to click on the lil orange man, and go right down to street level, and see the color of the house. Then, I looked at the zip code. Using 12345 as an example. Ours would be 12345, theirs was 12354... That was the ONLY thing the link to life call center had wrong, and that mistake could have cost someones life. I called the dispatch center, gave them said info, and that it was a bright yellow building. 92 miles away.. The patient was located, nearly 45 minutes after the call first went out. The dispatch center was going to mark it as address not found and leave it at that, till the agency that called them, could get more info. Had it not been for Google, we probably never would have been able to locate the address in time to help the patient.

Edited by 4cmk6

If you type a phone number; or a name and street address into Google, and it's listed; you get their name and address, number. Often, you also get a satellite photo/map of where it is located too. Couple months ago, we had a 2nd due ambulance call. We live in a very small town, the street addresses go no higher than 250. So, when we were dispatched to 8## Main St., I knew they had to be wrong. It was one of those link to life services. They had just the street number, actual street name, last name and nearest intersecting street. So, we stopped in the post office to check on the name. I asked if they had internet service. Went to Google, Typed in the address, and put the intersecting street in quotes. Found the same name, address, a telephone number. I was able to click on the lil orange man, and go right down to street level, and see the color of the house. Then, I looked at the zip code. Using 12345 as an example. Ours would be 12345, theirs was 12354... That was the ONLY thing the link to life call center had wrong, and that mistake could have cost someones life. I called the dispatch center, gave them said info, and that it was a bright yellow building. 92 miles away.. The patient was located, nearly 45 minutes after the call first went out. The dispatch center was going to mark it as address not found and leave it at that, till the agency that called them, could get more info. Had it not been for Google, we probably never would have been able to locate the address in time to help the patient.

internet phones are awesome, tether that biatch to the wifi on your laptop and it's the cats ass! Or you can be a dork like me and have a touch screen netbook with a built-in GPS with m$ maps.... :D

also, you should be mindful of using google for that. Sometimes if the persons number isn't listed, it will give you the address of the cell provider

Edited by FireMedic65

awesome! the pill app cost is a monthly subscription for my treo :( also on the website it costs money

I could do a trial run of it, but it is only for 10 days or something. If anyone knows of another program, please let me know.

also, medical wizards makes some really great software for phones/pdas. But they are payware

I bought my wife an iPod touch recently (I have the iPhone) and we both use ePocrates for work. She has since minimized her Palm Treo contract just so she can use it as a phone. Everything else (email, WWW, other multimedia etc) can be utilized on her 'touch" and is completely free.

I actually have the yearly subscription for ePocrates, but it is "married" to my old Palm PDA, which I haven't used in over a year. I really should either cancel the subscription, or call them to switch the full program over to my iPhone.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Apple (more is the pity)

Edited by scott33

I bought my wife an iPod touch recently (I have the iPhone) and we both use ePocrates for work. She has since minimized her Palm Treo contract just so she can use it as a phone. Everything else (email, WWW, other multimedia etc) can be utilized on her 'touch" and is completely free.

I actually have the yearly subscription for ePocrates, but it is "married" to my old Palm PDA, which I haven't used in over a year. I really should either cancel the subscription, or call them to switch the full program over to my iPhone.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Apple (more is the pity)

I also have ePocrates, but the pill identifier is a pay service. You mentioned you have a subscription, that's probably why you can use it :)

I also have ePocrates, but the pill identifier is a pay service. You mentioned you have a subscription, that's probably why you can use it :)

No, my subscription is for my old Palm PDA. The complete program doesn't work on my iPhone as the subscription is not specific to that device. The pill ID is free on all the mac devices - otherwise my better half wouldn't be able to use it on hers.

http://www.epocrates.com/products/rx/iphone.html

Edited by scott33

I have the iPhone too. As a matter of fact, I'm typing on it right now.

The iPhone is an invaluable resource to me. I use it daily to look up meds and maladies I've never heard of or don't remember.

The iPhone also has some really cool apps for health care providers. I highly recomend it.

I have the numbers of poison control in my phone. I use it to call and ask about medications and overdoses.

I used to have a cell phone that was a smartphone (windows) but I got rid of it.

Whenever I respond on an overdose and know what the medications they took are then I'll call poison control and ask about initial treatment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.