Age = Experience?

The difference is that I BACK UP what I say.

You refuse to do so, and are in fact incapable of doing so.

Be a man. Last chance.

The difference is that I BACK UP what I say.

You refuse to do so, and are in fact incapable of doing so.

Be a man. Last chance.

Oh, so you can ridicule people, bash them, put them down, make them feel stupid, mock peoples religions, so on and so forth.. but that's alright if you "back it up"? Nothing makes it right for you to treat some people like you do.

Oh really? Did you forget what you posted earlier in this thread?

Stepping on toes is sometimes the nature of the beast in this profession.

What happened to that? Change your mind already?

I see that you are still attempting to divert the conversation to try and hide the fact that you made an incorrect accusation, and are unable to back it up with the facts. Very immature, not to mention dishonest.

Oh really? Did you forget what you posted earlier in this thread?

What happened to that? Change your mind already?

I see that you are still attempting to divert the conversation to try and hide the fact that you made an incorrect accusation, and are unable to back it up with the facts. Very immature, not to mention dishonest.

That comment was meant in response to her saying she doesn't step on toes and sits back while things happen that she doesn't agree with. At no point did I say it was alright to belittle people and bring them down. I could also say the same thing about you in regards to my last comment. You constantly bring people down and bash them. You want to lecture me about maturity? You should step back and look at yourself once in awhile. I am done with this conversation, your ego is too much.

I am done with this conversation, your ego is too much.

My intellect is too much for you. But that's not really saying much. I'm not that awesome. You're just that lame. You come here and make unfounded accusations without the slightest bit of proof, refuse to back them up, and refuse to even admit that they were unfounded when it is clear to everyone reading, and then you cry like a little girl as if you are the victim here. You don't like getting pwn3d? Then grow up and stop attacking people when you don't have the means of backing up your accusations.

Ok kids, its called PM… Seriously, there’s no need to hijack someone’s thread over 2 pages.

Anyhow in regards to the original posters queries. I too started at a young age, at 16 I took a greater clinical role in event EMS, joined the fire department, worked in sports medicine and went to high school. I look back and reflect on the calls I attended at such a young age and I admit the maturity level and level of knowledge was not there. I did standby at motocross and football every weekend with a whacker partner and a lady who wasn’t that great to work with, I hadn't developed enough skill to be dealing with the level of injury sustained by the riders, you don’t think about scene safety, mechanism of injury, no idea how to mange grief or anger and ultimatly take control of a situation etc – pretty much everything had to be bleedingly obvious before you relies what's actually going on. Lack of supervision was another issue and I doubt having a 16 year old looking after you would look professional.

I did all the EMS, fire and sports med courses and we did weekly fire and EMS training. I was so eager to learn more and go on more calls that I didn’t do very well at high school sure I passed but I only did the bare minimum needed to pass. I'm now in nursing school, I work at the hospital 3 days a week and spend 2 days in class. I'm classed as a 'employed student' but we have such a shortage of nurses here I regularly find myself with a patient load.

When I really sit back and look at it I don’t regret starting at such a young age per say but I do wish I had an appropriate level of supervision and discipline. I defiantly feel that I was ‘one up’ when I started nursing because you already have the basics down pat, you know how to communicate with people, how to read the situation and I was able to build on those skills even more then build new skills and advance.

Speaking from experience I don't condemn younger people working but they need supervision and mentoring, you also need to be careful you don't get burnt out.

Edited by Timmy

Well, I know I'm still generally new here, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about this. I am a 17 year old (I'll be 18 in June!) EMT-Basic, and I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get my license, including:

3) be at least seventeen (17) years of age and meet the following requirements:(a) be affiliated with a service and shall submit a letter of support from the service

director; and

(shall notify the bureau, in writing, of any change of service affiliation; and

© shall submit a notarized parental or guardian consent;

(4) all applicants who are graduates of a bureau approved EMS training program may apply for

graduate licensing, which allows them to work temporarily under supervision, as outlined in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of

these rules;

(5) all applicants applying to be licensed, shall meet the following requirements:

(a) submit a completed, bureau approved license application form; and

(provide evidence of current bureau approved CPR certification; and

© present a certificate of completion from an EMTB

course completed at a bureau approved

EMS training program, and accomplished within the previous nine (9) months; and

(d) successfully complete the EMTB

licensing examination; the initial state

licensing examination shall be completed within nine (9) months based on the date of course completion; successful

completion of the licensing examination process that results in the issuance of a license shall be completed within

twentyfour

(24) months based on the date of course completion;

(e) meet all other licensing requirements found in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of these rules; and

(f) pay all examination and licensure fees as required by these rules;

(g) all applicants who are graduates of a bureau approved EMS training program may apply for

graduate licensing which allows them to work temporarily under supervision, as outlined in 7.27.2.8 NMAC of these

rules;

(6) persons who do not have a certificate of completion from a bureau approved EMTB

training

program, but are currently licensed or certified in another state or certified with the national registry at the EMTB

level, may apply for licensure as provided below:

(a) submit an application along with documentation of current outofstate

certification or

license, or national registry certification; and

(provide evidence of current bureau approved CPR certification; and

© pay all examination and licensure fees as required by these rules; and

(d) successfully complete a bureau approved outofstate

transition course, as determined by

the bureau; and

(e) successfully complete the EMTB

licensing examination; the initial state

licensing examination shall be completed within nine (9) months based on the date of application; successful

completion of the licensing examination process

I went through all of these requirements, and passed all of them. :) I had my graduate's license from June until December, went to test site in December, and passed the state exam. So I now have my full license.

Now...I know as a 17 year old, they can dictate what calls I do or do not go out on. I had one on Monday night that involved active seizures. And as being part of a rural service, any hospital is about an hour away, so lets just say this was an interesting call (The driver, who is an Intermediate, said the look on my face when he looked back there was priceless....a mix between concern, and like I didn't believe what was happening). Anyways, the paramedic I was with has been very protective of me ever since I started, and he told my mom (he sees her all the time) that he normally wouldn't have let me go out on a call like that. He told her he usually just keeps me to the medical/accident calls.

So...my question to you guys is....what do you think about younger people being in this field? Would you try to protect them too? I'm not the first young person in this particular service...so they're used to have young ones. They always tease me saying "We'll get you on a GOOD one, just wait".

I've just kind of been thinking about this today, and I was wondering what other people thought.

Thanks!

I think you need to be allowed to run calls but remember be careful what you wish for. There is a lot of really weird shit out their and you only have 17 years of life experience to give you a perspective on it. Its not a fault its just life. Be patient your mentor has your best interest at heart and you will see all that the world has to offer in due time.

Be patient your mentor has your best interest at heart...

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. And good intentions are no substitute for competence.

Although, I agree that being patient is really her only option. There is no way to convince an idiot that they are wrong (see the last two pages of this thread for proof). And any attempts to talk her way out of this will only be received as whining, and further proof that she isn't ready.

Edited by Dustdevil

There is no way to convince an idiot that they are wrong (see the last two pages of this thread for proof). And any attempts to talk her way out of this will only be received as whining, and further proof that she isn't ready.

Alright.....wow. So....I'm an idiot, and I'm whining? Haha...I thought I was just asking what people thought about younger EMS providers. I honestly don't care what other people think about our organization...we're the best in this area for a reason. Just because they watch out for me isn't a bad thing. And as for their competence....I'd trust them with my life. They've been in this business for a long time....20+ years....and just because they're volunteer doesn't mean anything.

And as for me not being ready....I've only gone on a couple of calls by myself, so no, I'm probably not completely ready, but I will be aftger I get a certain amount of experience. Everyone has to learn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.