Age = Experience?

I have no doubt someone can be qualified on paper to be an EMT, regardless of age. The problem is, maturity is a huge issue, and I question that someone at 17 is capable of handing the awesome responsibilities of medical care. Training, skills stations, and moulaged victims are also NOT the same thing as the real deal. I think that at some point in the future, more stringent universal guidelines on age are needed to protect providers as well the the public. I have seen doctors- especially from India where they can finish medical school much faster than here- who seem woefully unprepared to deal with the responsibilities they have and decisions they must make. Yes, there are always exceptions to rules, but I think a certain amount of life experiences(maturity) are necessary in order to be able to handle what may be asked of you every day. While most of the things we deal with are routine, what about those horrible calls? Mutilated children in a car wreck? Abused and neglected kids? Homicides? Difficult patients and family members?

Personally, I vividly recall when I was first "turned loose" and functioned as a brand new EMTB, ready to provide patient care. I was a college graduate, 23 years old, and had already been living on my own. I had great training- didactic and clinical, but this was going to be the real deal. I still felt overwhelmed for what I had to do, but having a good preceptor was critical in gaining confidence in my abilities. I simply cannot imagine having to face such a thing at age 17 or 18. At that age, most people- myself included- have no idea what they don't know. You feel invincible, you have all the answers and can handle anything, but realistically, I didn't even know what the real questions were yet. Was I mature at 17 or 18- yep. Worked, got nearly straight A's in school, but I was still a teenager, with all the trials and tribulations that entails.

Despite all this- I wish you luck in your new career. You may be the exception, but either way, I hope you have a mentor in the business and/or a trusted adult to help you through those inevitable difficult times- you will need them

WOW.......alright, thanks for the input.

Yes, I am one of the few exceptions...I've always been very mature. And yes, I plan to just stay as an EMT-Basic for a long time(I want more experience)....nursing school is coming first. I start this summer...June 1st. I'm just about to graduate high school, and I"m already a sophomore in college....39 college credit hours. And honestly...growing up in a house where both parents are workaholics, and me raising my sister...I grew up a LONG time ago. I don't party, I make straight A's...and yeah, I know I have a lot to learn, but I don't think such a big emphasis should be put on age, because everyone is different. At first, the people on this ambulance service here were sort of wondering, because I used to be very quiet. That changed VERY quickly, haha....although, I WILL NOT step on toes, or make other people mad, so if there's something I don't agree with...I don't say anything, and just say its because I"m still a newbie at this, and I have no seniority.

And yes, I do have 3 people I turn to A LOT. All three of them are EMT's....two of them are just like my second mom, and the third one has been here for me ever since I started (the paramedic I was talking about earlier).

And I also feel I should mention...we're strictly volunteer. There's only about 2 or 3 paid people...and those 2 or 3 usually decide who gets to go on the call or not. Thats why they pick and choose which calls I go on...number one, to try to preserve my innocence as much as possible (not for very long though), and number two, because of my age, and number three, because I AM just a Basic.

I'm not the type of person to step on someones toes, and yeah, I do mess up just like anyone else does. But I have a passion for this job...and even though it is just volunteer, I love it.

Thanks for your input, it gave me a lot to think about. :)

Thats true...and now that I'm reading more into the posts, I feel like I should add something else.

As for the seizure/medical call...sorry, didn't explain that right. I guess you could say he tries to keep me more on the "stable" calls. He just told my mom that he would rather have me on those than have a patient who might code....although....I've been on a couple of those too. On this particular call, he didn't know that the patient was going to go into seizures. It just depends which EMT I'm with.

And...as for the whole "Intermediate being higher" thing....there are certain EMT's who are drivers also. I am NOT one of the drivers....yet. So I'm strictly in the back. The paramedic I was with wasn't a driver either. The intermediate was. So when we were on scene, all 3 of us were in the back. When it was time to transport, the intermediate drove. He like driving more than he does being in the back anyways.

I believe that our ambulance service does have some type of system to it....I just have yet to figure it out, haha. I've been here for almost a year now. And I mean...I love it. But what you guys said was true too. And I am going to nursing school, because I want to be an RN. I love the medical field.

And yes, now I see what you mean by putting my neck out to the wolves, haha. :P:o:| I wasn't expecting it....but I'm glad I got input...its nice to know what other people think, outside this little town. And yes, some of you do have a point. I had to prove to many people that I was mature enough for this job, and that I could handle it. The first accident was probably my "make or break" point that everyone has, because it was gruesome. But, everyone was very proud of me...I handled it with maturity and effiecency, and yeah, it bothered me for a while, but I got over it. And I know that I made a difference out there. I know that my skills helped someone who needed it, and that holding a patients hand can make the world of difference when they're scared.

I still don't get what they think is so innocence-shattering about a seizure. The only seizures I've seen code in nearly forty years of practice were those who had that very brief seizure during v-fib. And that's something pretty rare, and much more likely to be seen in the hospital than in the field.

Sounds like you're in a typical volly organisation, where the providers are not professionals, and have very little real experience or knowledge. This is not good for your professional development.

Nursing school is an excellent first step into professionalism. If by some weird chance you actually still want to be in EMS after nursing school, ditch the volly whackers you are currently running with. They don't know what they're doing. Do it right.

And are you hott?

I still don't get what they think is so innocence-shattering about a seizure. The only seizures I've seen code in nearly forty years of practice were those who had that very brief seizure during v-fib. And that's something pretty rare, and much more likely to be seen in the hospital than in the field.

Sounds like you're in a typical volly organisation, where the providers are not professionals, and have very little real experience or knowledge. This is not good for your professional development.

Nursing school is an excellent first step into professionalism. If by some weird chance you actually still want to be in EMS after nursing school, ditch the volly whackers you are currently running with. They don't know what they're doing. Do it right.

And are you hott?

dude she is 17

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.