One Month + Post Alberta Transition

So it's been just over a month since the take over of ambulance services by the provincial government under Alberta Health Services.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca

Some people have had to sign an agreement etc about not talking about wages etc. (Nothing here yet: P) So I’m just wondering how the transition is going for people around Alberta?

For us it is definitely growing pains with a new dispatch, they don’t get how we run as all the other services are only 24 hours, and we have 12's and another aspect to cover with. And took over a month to "Fix" (have to see when i get back) our private radio channels not working. (We didn’t like having to listen to 5+ divisions on the same channel 24/7)

Other then that, still operating under our old contract and getting paid a little less then the surround people. Have voted and become a member of HSAA awaiting bargaining last i heard.

And just recently stated our new "matrix" of shifts where there is 4 crews on all the time and rotates first up 2nd up etc between 4 crews still two 12 hour shifts. (And awaiting switching from 7 on 7 off with a few people 4 on 4 off, to possible 8 on 8 off or 4 on 4 off)

How's everyone else's transition going?

I think its going to be a good thing overall for Alberta, especially people and EMS in rural Alberta. The only thing i'm not looking forward to is the coming micro management....more ego's more useless work and more bossing around.

Thats why i work rural to begin with! :P

I am a little sour with my private service right now so I will put this in a pro's vs con's perspective.

Again it is important to understand I am in a contract-back service. Put simply, the gov't gives my employer $$ to run the service. The way I understand it... if it does not cost that much to run (read... cut corners) they can accumulate some cash off the books.

Pro's

Hmmmm...... I got nuthin.... I guess there have been some promices made for the future, so.... if you wanna count that?

Con's

No longer paid to assist the hospital with critical/heavy patients (more important than you may think in a rural setting)

No longer allowed to take a 2nd attendant on double patient transfers (again with the rural implications)

Waaaay more paperwork

LOTS of threats from our employer regarding privacy

Being pressured to sign a gag order stopping us from talking to the gov't about how our service is being run (see 1st 2 points)

NO FRICKEN ACCOUNTABILITY for patient care!!!

Like I say... I am pretty sour right now, so I am pretty hard up for a positive view. The reality is, all the Con's listed are not the gov'ts doing, it is a result of greedy private operators trying to line thier pockets.

Hey shane.... got any leads on a rural job for a 2nd year Medic student?

Edited by mobey

Mobey, its time. Pack up the family and come work for Calgary, you have no choice. I hear they are planning to start hiring again soon.

Changes so far.

1.) a few new bosses, complete with impressive new titles

2.) weekly email updates (propaganda) on how the transition is going to be the best thing since kraft dinner

3.) City of Calgary labels being scraped off some of the new units, so now they just read EMS

4.) Ongoing feud between HSAA and CUPE for the right to negotiate rubbish contracts on our behalf

Otherwise its business as usual.

• 5 months later...

So guys hows things going with transition to perfection ?

Hows that use of Paramedics in Rural Hospitals working out ?

Will Stelmach follow Campbell's lead with "essential services clause" more OT anyone? FORCED!

And oddly the only employment posted for public services (GP) the first transition experiment ?

And now 3 dispatch centers, Fire departments are just loving that well is the word.

And closing acute care beds in Alberta Hospital, Unit 632 call for more crazy people.

And the UNA hiring freeze, happy RNs everywhere I bet?

AUPE walking the streets just yesterday ... oh you can bet I laid on the horn in support.

And the huge raises that Stelmach is now offering teachers and now back tracking on his legal signed agreement with the teachers for your kids education ?

ACoP being dictated to by government, a self regulating body .... lier lier pants on fire, and is choking a public appointee illegal one that doesn't know how to put a stretcher out of the back of a truck, or hell an EMR as a President of ACoP with no hospital or field practicum.

And those the wait times in the hallways, and the decreased wait times for hip and knee surgeries, for the very folks that voted these jokes in ?

And well besides a one way return ticket (on my coin) for Druckman and send him back to where aussiephil could take a round out of him for a box of beer.

Well just me thinking out loud ... 40 years of Conservatives is ENOUGH !

http://www.wildrosealliance.ca/

Oh crap forgot the extra 14 white shirted wizards that are doing such a great job @ 80 G a year now theres good value for money 1.12 million for new numbers on trucks ?

Still awaiting a reply for Provincial Protocols ED, heck its only been a year.

And then there is the brilliant new amended OH+S regs that do NOT require a registered member to provide medical services, so come on down every tom dick and harry .... the doors wide open, thanks ACoP for being diligent.

Anyone check out section 2(1)in the new improved EHS Act ? ... interesting read.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Mobey, its time. Pack up the family and come work for Calgary, you have no choice. I hear they are planning to start hiring again soon.

Changes so far.

1.) a few new bosses, complete with impressive new titles

2.) weekly email updates (propaganda) on how the transition is going to be the best thing since kraft dinner

3.) City of Calgary labels being scraped off some of the new units, so now they just read EMS

4.) Ongoing feud between HSAA and CUPE for the right to negotiate rubbish contracts on our behalf

Otherwise its business as usual.

Sounds like Edmonton!

... now I'm hungry for Kraft Dinner

So guys hows things going with transition to perfection ? *Siffaliss*: I hate AHS.

Hows that use of Paramedics in Rural Hospitals working out ? *Siffaliss*: Dunno, I work urban.

Will Stelmach follow Campbell's lead with "essential services clause" more OT anyone? FORCED! *Siffaliss*: What OT? There is none anymore.

And oddly the only employment posted for public services (GP) the first transition experiment ? *Siffaliss*: Umm ...

And now 3 dispatch centers, Fire departments are just loving that well is the word. *Siffaliss*: Dispatch in the north has no clue what they're doing ...

And closing acute care beds in Alberta Hospital, Unit 632 call for more crazy people. *Siffaliss*: Yeah, and concerned citizens will keep phoning 911 for them instead of taking them to THEIR houses ...

And the UNA hiring freeze, happy RNs everywhere I bet? Not a huge fan of most nurses.

AUPE walking the streets just yesterday ... oh you can bet I laid on the horn in support. *Siffaliss*: I honk for the heck of it.

And the huge raises that Stelmach is now offering teachers and now back tracking on his legal signed agreement with the teachers for your kids education ? *Siffaliss*: Of course, and Duckett doesn't want to give up his bonus.

ACoP being dictated to by government, a self regulating body .... lier lier pants on fire, and is choking a public appointee illegal one that doesn't know how to put a stretcher out of the back of a truck, or hell an EMR as a President of ACoP with no hospital or field practicum. *Siffaliss*: ... make them put the stretcher in when it's their dying relative ... bet they won't forget how to do it then!

And those the wait times in the hallways, and the decreased wait times for hip and knee surgeries, for the very folks that voted these jokes in ? *Siffaliss*: Maybe the RN's will start doing their jobs instead of forcing EMS to wait with THEIR patients ...

And well besides a one way return ticket (on my coin) for Druckman and send him back to where aussiephil could take a round out of him for a box of beer.

Well just me thinking out loud ... 40 years of Conservatives is ENOUGH ! *Siffaliss*: Uh huh!

http://www.wildrosealliance.ca/

Oh crap forgot the extra 14 white shirted wizards that are doing such a great job @ 80 G a year now theres good value for money 1.12 million for new numbers on trucks ?

Still awaiting a reply for Provincial Protocols ED, heck its only been a year.

And then there is the brilliant new amended OH+S regs that do NOT require a registered member to provide medical services, so come on down every tom dick and harry .... the doors wide open, thanks ACoP for being diligent. *Siffaliss*: I bet all the idiots from the JI in BC are just rubbing their hands together to get their uneducated "EMR's" or so they like to call themselves in to Alberta to harm people ...

Anyone check out section 2(1)in the new improved EHS Act ? ... interesting read.

cheers

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 2

I work casually for IHAS and so far so good. We'll see what happens Jan 1 when we are officially transitioned. I may have a lot more to say after that!

It will be very interesting to hear your opinions , and you are aware that Calgary EMS is presently contesting what Union/Association is to be mandated (by the Conservatives) to represent them .. interesting times.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.