I need some radio reports!

Try using a real radio for the scenario. We routinely use this medium with another instructor in the other room acting as medical control. Any scenario can be used, but verbalizing your finding can be one of the most difficult things a new responder can face. If they can't 'paint the picture' for medical control, then they need more practice in getting the point across and keeping it brief.

Just a couple of portables could be used.

Good luck.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try using a real radio for the scenario. We routinely use this medium with another instructor in the other room acting as medical control. Any scenario can be used, but verbalizing your finding can be one of the most difficult things a new responder can face. If they can't 'paint the picture' for medical control, then they need more practice in getting the point across and keeping it brief.

Just a couple of portables could be used.

Good luck.

Beat me to it, P. This allows you to introduce another variable- potential radio problems. Static, weak signal, background noise, etc.

Here's another situation.

How about a multivictim scenario where a doc would need to coordinate multiple resources, with multiple hospitals?

Ambulance 1 to University with a multivictim trauma-

--Go ahead-

We are on the scene of a motor vehicle collision at State and Main, car vs SUV, approx 40MPH, we have a total of 8 victims- 6 adults, 2 peds. Patient conditions as follows:

3 adult red traumas, 2 red peds, 3 yellows. One red adult is still being extricated from vehicle. Closest comprehensive ER's are... , closest and regional trauma centers are...

Please advise on ER and trauma center bed availability..

--Stand by Ambo 1...

Ambo 2 will take 1 adult red to X hospital, Ambo 2 will take 1 adult red to X hospital, Ambo 3 will take 1 adult red once extricated to Y hosp, Ambo's 4 and 5 will take 1 peds red each to Children X, Ambo AA will take 2 yellows to X ER, Ambo BB with 1 yellow adult to Y hosp.

Depending on the system, you may or may not include more details, but on multivictims here, we stick with triage colors, and maybe include if the red is classified via mechanism or patient condition, stable, unstable, ETA's to hospitals, etc . Add another wrinkle- have one of the vehicles carrying a hazardous substance, which means a decon station would need to be set up, possible antidotes to a poisoning, etc.

A scenario such as this would force the student to coordinate with other hospitals as to bed availability, any resource limitations, etc. You can have the student ask for more details and realize that the telemetry officer on scene may not be have all details of patient conditions, vitals, etc. YOu can even include air transport if available and pertinent to your locale, etc.

Medic X to Base.

Go medic x.

This is Dwayne riding 3100 enroute to you with a 40ish year old female secondary to violent sexual assault 3 hours past.

Pt was found with altered mentation laying on her kitchen floor amongst a significant amount of what appears to be her own blood. Pt earlier told mother that attackers tried to make her drink bleach and pt has strong smell of bleach in hair/clothing though airway appears patent at this time.

Pt has several stab wounds to both feet that appear to penetrate all the way through as well as two wounds to her abd, one at umbilicus center, the other approx 3" above, pt has significant amount of clotted and unclotted blood at vaginal area.

Abd appears to be distended, mother states abd is not only larger than normal but larger than it was approx one half hour past. Pt is tachy at 136, pulse somewhat thready, resps 32. IV access x 1 established with another working now.

I'm going to be traveling non emergent secondary to traffic concerns but should be coming through your doors in about 5 minutes. Any questions?

Base: No questions, see you when you get here.

Upon arrival they were "shocked" to see me come through the door with a bloody, altered pt with two bags of fluid hanging.

I was chastized by the charge nurse because I should have "Told them the pt was critical when I gave my radio report!!" After listening to the recording the doc later 'splained the value of listening to reports instead of just waiting until it's time to acknowleding that they are finished. In hindsight I guess I should have actually used the word 'critical' in my report.

Not sure if this helps or not Doc, but actually listening to reports is one place I see a weakness in the system.

Dwayne

(Three hour delay secondary to mom and daughter being addicts and mom was hoping she'd 'get better' so that the police wouldn't need to be notified.)