Soldier commits suicide after failing last chance at EMT test

Dustdevil

I am not buying it that you can get so down for a failing a test

I've been unfortunate to have someone close to me commit suicide, and another attempt. One that I lost was my father, and the attempt, I caught in the act and was able to revive and she survived. I asked her, and told her that we'd never speak of it again; and to this day we haven't. --- Why?".

The answer was short, but said a lot; "I was lost, I didn't know who to go to, what to do. I don't know why, but it was the only answer I could find. (Suicide)

The trials of life can really suck for those left behind. It's certainly true. Those in EMS that deal with suicide on a professional level, and make comments like you, I understand that you feel that way. To each their own view on life. It's important that we live and do our part, as citizens of the human race. Some people don't wait till their body dies, some people decide that it's time to end their life, whether or not the person we know is making that decision, or a person they have become because of pain, mental or physical. What is done, is done. The person is gone, their body is buried. If we're lucky, it won't affect us tomorrow, or next week. But it's important that we take the time to give attention to the needs of the family. It's not about what the person did, or why they did it. That doesn't matter to us, it may matter to the family, but it's not our job to judge what has happened. In the end, it's about the people who the death has affected. It's still a life, that served a purpose, and the only thing left to do is guide those left behind.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, my heart goes out to the family. Especially the children.

I'm surprised at some of the callous posts I've seen regarding this topic. Suicide is always a tragedy regardless of the why. The why is usually the same too. Yeah, the factors may be different, but it generally comes down to feeling lost and alone. This world(and especially this country) have gotten so busy and self-involved that people miss the signs of depression in a loved one until it's too late. I was going to ask how many times have you heard a family member say "I should have known" and cite a specific incident that should have raised a red flag. But I think it might be easier to count the times you don't hear that. I would encourage people to take a good look at those they love and try to tune into what's going on with them. The signs may be subtle, but they are almost always there. Also, if you know someone with being treated for depression don't assume they are "okay" now because of meds and/or therapy. They are never enough without the support of those that are near the person's heart.

• 8 years later...

This story is bullshit and WAS NOT IN ANY WAY truthful!  Her struggles were not a result of the failing test results, she was happy to return to her unit as an MP-   but really, this was a whole shit storm of ongoing sexual harassment from a fellow E-5 prior service member also in training-that the ARMY choose NOT to address! ?? Get it right people, this coming from someone who was there....

On 9/9/2017 at 0:07 AM, Jenniferz said:

This story is bullshit and WAS NOT IN ANY WAY truthful!  Her struggles were not a result of the failing test results, she was happy to return to her unit as an MP-   but really, this was a whole shit storm of ongoing sexual harassment from a fellow E-5 prior service member also in training-that the ARMY choose NOT to address! ?? Get it right people, this coming from someone who was there....

Jennifer, this is old and forgotten on this site.  Anything over 5 months on this site is long forgotten.  most of the people who commented on this post don't come here anymore. 

It's admirable that you are sticking up for this lady by wanting to get her story correct, I get it, but this is long long forgotten on this site.  

I wish you the best.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.