Brainstorming EMS Paper Topics

It's a five page paper. Basically a literature review, so I would need decent journal sources.

There has to be enough written on the topic.

Yup, it's for paramedic school. It would be college level.

Some good ideas guys.

Some might be way too broad. Some I don't know much about, but would be interesting.

Right-sided MI's might be good. I know the differentiation is often ignored in the field.

Keeping CHF'ers out of the ICU is a real important one. I think he probably gets a student each class doing that, though...

Efficacy of drugs we use would be very informational.

The ALS vs BLS would definitely be a good one, too. I gotta see how much research is out there that breaks it down in formats I could use. I know LA County did a study on it and concluded 90% of calls only need BLS. Out of the 10% qualifying for ALS, 3% were going to die no matter what, other 3% would live no matter what, and the other 3%'s outcome completely required ALS intervention.

Managing rare conditions like myelomeningocoele would be interesting. I didn't know we could induce seizures for positioning. Bet there's very little written in context of prehospital care, so would definitely be informative. Maybe something that could go to JEMS eventually...

Pediatric dosing errors. It'd be interesting if we could find out causes of them prehospital (misreading Broslow tape? Incorrect administration...I've seen OD happen with PR valium....etc)

Keep them coming....

What would be interesting or fun to write about

Or what would be beneficial to the EMS community, even if just locally?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, that's the other one I was considering.

Only concern is lack of articles/research on it, other than raw numbers on assaults. Which might be enough to prove the point there's a great concern, but the rest of the paper might have to be based on experiences and presumed prevention studies. If anyone has sources good sources for this topic, let me know...

A paper that argues against some of the long held concepts considered "EMS dogma" when in fact have little to no evidence exists to back up these long held and taught beliefs. The emphasis of placing high flow oxygen on every patient for example. Or you could even take a specific concept such as high flow oxygen for ACS patients.

I will be waiting for Vent to correct my misuse of the term "high flow." :)

Take care,

chbare.

Take care,

chbare.

I think she knows we have all gotten that point by now or we are to stupid to ever learn one of the two. :lol:

Thanks to Vent I think many here have been reminded how little airway education we really get in EMS. I know me and her have had some disagreements but for any new people that read this contact her for your airway questions.

It's a five page paper. Basically a literature review, so I would need decent journal sources.

There has to be enough written on the topic.

Yup, it's for paramedic school. It would be college level.

Some good ideas guys.

Some might be way too broad. Some I don't know much about, but would be interesting.

Good idea to be sure not to take something too broad. Five pages is actually quite short. I'm not sure what papers you have written in the past, but you will likely find that once you've done your research and get into writing, five pages will not seem like enough space to say all there is to say on a number of these topics.

A paper that argues against some of the long held concepts considered "EMS dogma" when in fact have little to no evidence exists to back up these long held and taught beliefs. The emphasis of placing high flow oxygen on every patient for example. Or you could even take a specific concept such as high flow oxygen for ACS patients.

Take care,

chbare.

To do a literature search on oxygen and ACS, those in EMS would have to learn new technical terms such as oxygen concentration and FiO2. "High flow" means little to other medical professionals since the percentage of oxygen delivered by the "high flow" device can be as low as 21% or even 16% for specific situations. But, if one sticks only with JEMS, the glamour magazine for EMS, one will have no problem since it does not use such scientific or medical terms.

Happy now... :)

quote AnthonyM83

The ALS vs BLS would definitely be a good one, too. I gotta see how much research is out there that breaks it down in formats I could use. I know LA County did a study on it and concluded 90% of calls only need BLS. Out of the 10% qualifying for ALS, 3% were going to die no matter what, other 3% would live no matter what, and the other 3%'s outcome completely required ALS intervention.

Can you post the hospital data from these calls as to how many were admissiions and got "ALS" treatment of some type in the hospital? That could also include just an IV or a 12-lead EKG.

As an educator for several different medical professionals, I would find this ridiculous. Medicine shouldn't just be about one's perception of labeling a patient as BLS or ALS. There are also several studies that have shown even Paramedics under estimate the illnessness of patients which is why some treat and release programs will not work. To present a paper that states patients will still live despite any interventions other than a taxi ride to the hospital defeats the purpose of arguing for Paramedic services in a city. Why would you even consider any other medical topics involving advanced interventions if you truly believe all the other stuff considered "reearch" in LA County. Their lack of preparation for many of their approaches to Paramedic interventions is flawed with the 12-Lead and intubation being good examples. Now that could be a good topic to show how you can not determine the success of a new skill, diagnostic tool or intervention without some preparation by way of adequate training and education.

Are you doing an informative, research literature review or a political stance paper?

How about a paper about how to search for medical literature and how to read it to form an opinion of its validity and/or how it pertains to EMS? But then, if this is college level, that should have already been taught in at least one of your classes.

Edited by VentMedic

I did a paper on why GHB presents as a narcotic and in reality it isn't

The use of charcole in the field

The pathophyio of Narcan, or any other protocol drug they can use

AED in the public do they really save lives or just prolong life