FDNY EMS - Basic to Medic and More...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always on that topic, I refer anyone interested in working for the FDNY as either an EMT, a Paramedic, or even a Fire Fighter, to hit the link, http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/home2.shtml

We've always had people referred to as "Doc". One was the senior Paramedic on "Third Watch". One was a participant in the (in)famous shootout at the OK Corral, Doc Holliday (wait one: he was a licenced Dentist).

Then, again, we have the biggest worry wart of the EMS system, "Mother" Tucker, "The Coz's" character in "Mother, Jugs and Speed".

I've been to the FDNY website, thank you. Unfortunately, the information I'm requesting has not been posted there.

So, does anyone know if the FDNY directly hires paramedics often? Or are they mainly recruiting out of their pool of EMT's? I know there's a hiring freeze right now, but was wondering.

Edited by matrixdutch

I've been to the FDNY website, thank you. Unfortunately, the information I'm requesting has not been posted there.

So, does anyone know if the FDNY directly hires paramedics often? Or are they mainly recruiting out of their pool of EMT's? I know there's a hiring freeze right now, but was wondering.

According to what I hear on the streets they prefer to hire from within, medics who are previously certified have sometimes made the choice to get hired as an EMT and upgrade to a Medic with the department, meaning they retake medic class.

Official Policy is more than likely they will hire anyone with appropriate credentials.

holy cow! i read every entry with this one question that started 3 pages of entries over emts vs medics. that was horrible! people got picked on for there spelling, for how the sentences where written and judging them by that. i had to agree that yes in the rules spelling was mentioned but everyone makes mistakes and can't be perfect all the time. i know there is spell check and even on line dictionary which is my bible. i have always read the discussions with much enthusiasm but this discussion seem to put bls at als. i don't think that was the original intention but that is how it seemed to turn out. i thought this sight was here to support each other and learn from each other. i also thought we were to respect each other and not be so judgmental with the small stuff (such as spelling). there are strong feelings on each side and rightfully so, if you don't believe in what you are doing them you better get out. I am truly upset by all the small jabs that where taken. up until now i loved this site enjoyed my time on it, along with the people on it but now? -_-

I have to agree with the other poster, you really need the three years street exp. before deciding to make the jump from Basic to P. Personally I would get my I then go for my P. I am in P class now, hold EMT-I Cert. and have numerous Basics in my class with less than one year street time and although class is difficult, these poor people are thoroughly lost. The more street exp. you can get, the better prepared you will be.

I have to agree with the other poster, you really need the three years street exp. before deciding to make the jump from Basic to P. Personally I would get my I then go for my P. I am in P class now, hold EMT-I Cert. and have numerous Basics in my class with less than one year street time and although class is difficult, these poor people are thoroughly lost. The more street exp. you can get, the better prepared you will be.

Sounds like thier basic education was a failure.

If you need to learn things the hard way on the streets before entering P school, your school failed.

What area does experience help you with? A&P? Cardiology? ACLS? Pulmonology? etc etc....

i also thought we were to respect each other and not be so judgmental with the small stuff (such as spelling).

You thought wrong. That's what happens when you FAIL to read the Forum Rules that you agreed to when you signed up here. Do you also ignore the rules at work?

Give reasonable attention to your grammar. Although we want to maintain a casual atmosphere here, this is ultimately a PROFESSIONAL forum where members of the public are free to read and draw conclusions about us as a profession. There is an automatic spell checker provided on this forum. Please use it. Do not post messages that appear as if they were taken from a 13 year old girl's AOL chat. "You" is spelled YOU, not "u." "Whatever" is spelled WHATEVER, not "w/e." And punctuation is extremely important to those trying to understand your statements. If you are too pressed for time to type legibly and using punctuation and capitalization, then please come back later when you have more time.
Edited by Dustdevil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.