Is this guy lying?

Michael

So, a couple things here.

1) Why does he keep putting his hands behind him like he's in handcuffs? Seems a bit like a play for sympathy.

2) He says they drove him 70 miles to an urgent care facility and acted like they didn't want him to go inside and get treatment. Wtf? Then they wouldn't let him pee. Wah. Welcome to police custody.

3) He never said what he was charged with. Yet in the end insists he's pleading not guilty because they never found drugs or a person in his car. So is he trying to say he's up on drug charges or human trafficing or something to that effect? Yeah, okay.

I still don't understand why people refuse to let their vehicles be searched if they're not hiding anything. Is the "principle of the thing" really worth going to jail? And having a criminal/arrest record?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he would have just been cooperative and said yes and not being so uptight and concerned about his rights, he woul have on his little way.

IMHO, it's his own fault

If he would have just been cooperative and said yes and not being so uptight and concerned about his rights, he woul have on his little way.

IMHO, it's his own fault

I'm sorry. Did you just really type this out? Do you honestly believe we should abdicate our Constitutionally protected rights? Do you honestly believe this?

Seriously? Just throw them away? That's what you think he should have done?

Wow.

-be safe

My feeling is that playing arm chair attorney while being stopped on the side of the road is a bad decision as it will likely escalate the situation. I do not believe you should abdicate any of your rights. Were I subject to a search that I believed was illegal, I would politely decline and allow them the option to place me under arrest. Contact my lawyer and allow them to argue against the search. I would not, however, get belligerent or actively resist in any way aside from stating my refusal to comply with the search.

That is unless I'm in a rush, in which case I may honestly just go along to get along.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Whine me a freakin' river.

First, I wasn't there, so I can't speak to what really happened. I'm going off what this guy is saying as true, and while I understand he feels wronged, I don't see any inappropriate behavior on the officers' part. In fact, it sounds like they were quite tolerant and accommodating.

1) The stop was lawful. No law prohibits LEO from asking your identification.

2) Drug dogs don't bark when they hit on a scent. They are trained to sit down.

3) A warrant is not needed when there is probable cause.

4) He was given a lawful direct order by an officer, and not an unreasonable one. This was based on evidence from a trained dog that indicated the possibility of drugs. They are not arresting him for anything, simply taking a look. The probable cause would not extend to his house, but the dog indicated on the car.

5) By his own admission they sat there with him for an hour to let him think about it, call his lawyer, whatever.

6) They informed him that if he did not comply, they would force him to comply.

7) They were considerate enough to tell him to cover his eyes because they were about to break out the glass.

8) They tazered him to gain physical control. Here I don't know if he was still refusing to get out of the car, or resisting, or what, but application of tazer is quite safe, moreso than wrestling with him. They didn't beat him with sticks or do other, less pleasant things that they could have done.

9) After it is obvious that he needs medical attention, they take him to the doctor.

It sounds like, from the tape here, that he refused to comply with a lawful (and not difficult) order and forced the police to resort to physical means to enforce that order. The use of force was escalated and proportional to the resistance presented. Once in custody, they addressed his need for medical attention.

'zilla

I'm sorry. Did you just really type this out? Do you honestly believe we should abdicate our Constitutionally protected rights? Do you honestly believe this?

Seriously? Just throw them away? That's what you think he should have done?

Wow.

-be safe

I didn't stutter. None of our constitutional rights should be thrown out. Guess I should have said, I would have been more cooperative, not make things more complicated.

When an officer asks something of you or orders you to do something (within reason) you can't just start with saying your rights are being violated because you don't want to or if you don't feel it necessary. I still don't understand why people refuse to let their vehicles be searched if they're not hiding anything. Is the "principle of the thing" really worth going to jail? And having a criminal/arrest record?

Oh, and did I answer whether if I believed him or not, I can't remember. But at this time I will say most of these things may have happened, but not all were completely accurrate on either side.

Edited by firedoc5