College of Emergency Medical Assistants of British Columbia

Provincial or National?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should BC Paramedics change over to a Provincial Paramedic College or should BC Paramedics try and lead the fight for a National Paramedic College?

• Fight for a Provincial College first!
    • Go big or go home! Go for the National College.

During recent discussions regarding Alberta's EMS transition to a provincial structure the topic of self-regulating bodies came up. Currently we do not enjoy this luxury in BC and we remain trapped under the Emergency Medical Assistant Licensing Board of BC. In many ways the EMALB has stunted the growth and improvement of paramedic practise in BC. The allowed scope of practise here is far from the national profile to which all new students at all levels are instructed. Legislation allowing the formation of a college was passed quite some time ago however progress towards enacting said legislation has been almost non-existent. For those interested I have included a copy of the bulleting sent to all BC EMA license holders regarding the supposed transition.

The following circular was sent February 26, 2003 to all EMAs

College of Emergency Medical Assistants of British Columbia

The Health Planning Statutes Act of 2002 has become law. Section 2 of the Act eliminates the EMA Licensing

Board (EMALB) and replaces it with a self-regulated College of EMAs under the Health Professions Act. The

EMALB will remain the Licensing authority for EMAs until replaced by the College.

The Minister of Health Planning has appointed eight persons to advise the government during the transition

from EMALB to College of EMAs. These individuals are: Ms. Kate Bayne, LLB, chair, EMA Licensing Board; Mr.

Randy Bjur, EMA 2 Vancouver; Mr. William Leverett, ALS Victoria and EMA Licensing Board member; Mrs. Jo

MacDonald, Administrator St. Josephs Hospital Comox; Mr. Glen Maddess, Maddess Consulting Services Inc.;

Mr. Wayne Markel, Township of Langley Fire Services Chief (ret’d); Dr. Brian Oldring, vice-chair EMA Licensing

Board; and Mr. Brian Petersen, ALS Richmond.

The advisory committee is charged with recommending the initial bylaws, regulation and initial budget for the

College to the government. The recommendations will be provided to the Minister and will subsequently require

Cabinet approval. The Minister has established that this process should be completed by the end of March

Under the terms of the Health Professions Act (HPA), we are given powers in order to regulate ourselves “in

the public interest.” Note that a self-regulating profession is not a group of people who can change or

enforce the rules governing their profession simply to benefit themselves. Quoting from the HPA, Section 16

(1):“It is the duty of a college at all times (a) to serve and protect the public, and (B) to exercise its powers

and discharge its responsibilities under all enactments in the public interest”

As we proceed towards self-regulation we must satisfy the government that we meet or exceed all the

requirements set out for us in the HPA. These requirements are not negotiable and include but are not limited

to:

1. One or more exclusive titles used by registrants

2. Services performed by registrants

3. Limitations of services performed by registrants

4. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of education and qualifications for registration of registrants

5. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of practice to enhance the quality of practice and reduce

incompetent, impaired or unethical practice amongst registrants,

6. To establish and maintain a continuing competency program to promote high practice standards

7. Establish a program to prevent professional misconduct of a sexual nature

8. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of professional ethics amongst registrants

Along with the autonomy of self-regulation comes the responsibility to be self-supporting. A fee structure for

registration will be developed. Registration is mandatory in order for EMAs to practice as outlined in the

Regulation.

The Advisory Committee to the Minister will issue progress updates periodically.

Dr. Brian Oldring

Acting Chair

Advisory Committee

My questions for the members of EMTCity are as follows:

1) What technique or strategy will be most effective in forcing enactment of the aforementioned legislation?

2) What form should the college take in terms of structure, self regulation, disciplinary action, licensing/registration requirements, etc.?

3) Is the formation of a provincial college even worth the effort when long term it will undoubtedly be in the best interest of all Canadian paramedics to form a national college?

I know Squint mentioned the RT college in Alta. as an example of a well run organization. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but I certainly will. My ears are open and I’m looking for ideas. All of this will probably be on the back-burner until BC paramedics have a new contract but it’s a very high priority afterwards.

Fire away guys. I expect to see some good conversation on the topic as this seems to be something near and dear to all of us.

Ed

Rock_Shoes:

Firstly be very careful what you ask for and review all the stellar positive comments <sarcasm> concerning ACoP from its membership that show true insight and on many other EMS websites as well.

Before signing on with another layer of licensing, boards committees, exam process and paying out more of your pocket for something that you really do not need on a provincial basis, and if the government wants this .... let them foot the bill.

1- Assure that the body is accountable to the membership .. hence my advice regarding the Alberta College and Association of Respiratory Therapists (note the Association part)

2- Assure that true "self governance" is guaranteed in the by-laws, not an over riding Lawyers input.

3- Assure that you have democratic representation, transparency and accountability.

4-assure a 2 way street for communication between members.

ACOP recieves a huge FAIL in these areas IMHO.

1. One or more exclusive titles used by registrants

2. Services performed by registrants

3. Limitations of services performed by registrants

4. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of education and qualifications for registration of registrants

5. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of practice to enhance the quality of practice and reduce

incompetent, impaired or unethical practice amongst registrants,

6. To establish and maintain a continuing competency program to promote high practice standards

7. Establish a program to prevent professional misconduct of a sexual nature

8. Establish, monitor and enforce standards of professional ethics amongst registrants

You have all of this with BCAS already ... again don't reinvent the wheel ... we desperately need accepted National Standards, (acceptance first then continue to raise the standards) true reciprocity and far less provincial govnerment chronies input, as this will just serve perpetuate provincial territorialism.

Contact PM for Pro National contacts ... heck go to the PAC website there are very active members in your own province right now !

cheers

squint

contact info for CARTA

Bryan Buell

E-mail Address(es):

Bryan.Buell@carta.ca

Edited by tniuqs

Rock_Shoes:

Firstly be very careful what you ask for and review all the stellar positive comments <sarcasm> concerning ACoP from its membership that show true insight and on many other EMS websites as well.

Before signing on with another layer of licensing, boards committees, exam process and paying out more of your pocket for something that you really do not need on a provincial basis, and if the government wants this .... let them foot the bill.

You’re right that we really don’t need another layer of licensing. One is certainly more than enough. I would expect the current EMA licensing to be replaced in its entirety by a self governing body that actually sets its own standards and examination requirements. Currently there is a complete disconnect between EMA licensing standards and actual paramedic practise. I would prefer to go directly to a national self governed body myself but I’m not sure that’s a possibility yet. I think we may need the political clout of multiple provincial bodies to make this happen. The danger in doing that first of course is that some or all of these provincial bodies may be unwilling to amalgamate and relinquish their control when the time actually comes. I can certainly envision some real nightmare scenarios with this.

1- Assure that the body is accountable to the membership .. hence my advice regarding the Alberta College and Association of Respiratory Therapists (note the Association part)

2- Assure that true "self governance" is guaranteed in the by-laws, not an over riding Lawyers input.

3- Assure that you have democratic representation, transparency and accountability.

4-assure a 2 way street for communication between members.

ACOP recieves a huge FAIL in these areas IMHO.

1) I have definitely got the impression that ACoP has done next to nothing to ensure accountability to the membership. Even in my brief dealings with ACoP I got the distinct impression that it was more of a corporation than a professional licensing body. What is different about the structure of an association that does a better job of ensuring membership accountability? I have seen this first hand as my Dad is a medical imaging tech registered with CAMRT (Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists).

2) This is an absolute must whether a body be provincial, national, or even international. Without guaranteed true self governance there really isn’t any point is there.

3) Agreed. Enough said on that point.

4) Excellent requirement. I think we are going to need some innovative solutions to this issue. Especially if the push is to go national right away. The requirements of a flight CCP in the Yukon aren’t even close to the requirements of a PCP in downtown Toronto. The professional body needs to have a type of flexibility that meets regional operational needs.

You have all of this with BCAS already ... again don't reinvent the wheel ... we desperately need accepted National Standards, (acceptance first then continue to raise the standards) true reciprocity and far less provincial govnerment chronies input, as this will just serve perpetuate provincial territorialism.

You’re right that we have professional conduct requirements and enforcement. The problem is that we have no control over what those requirements are or how they’re enforced. We have had a rash of abuses towards some paramedics of late that are truly unjustified. These people have no recourse process like they should with a professional body and are essentially jobless until things are resolved through current EMA licensing processes.

I agree 100% that a national body is the best way to go. I just don’t know if that will happen without jumping through the provincial hoop first. Current provincial territorialism is an absolute nightmare. I would like to see everyone nationwide held to the current national profile as set out by the PAC. Then bump up the standards from there.

One of the other big problems in BC would be forming a body free of union influence. The union has absolutely no business setting standards of practise. The unions job is to represent us during the bargaining process, through grievances ect..

Ed

I agree with all of Squint's points. From what I've seen of ACoP this is not a model you want to follow and it's left me worried about a potential college in Ontario copying this (or being lumped in with another job).

Only thing I'd add is change the name. College of Paramedics of British Columbia. If they're not a PCP or higher, kick them and their first aid certifications to the curb. You don't need to self-regulate a first aider.

I agree with all of Squint's points. From what I've seen of ACoP this is not a model you want to follow and it's left me worried about a potential college in Ontario copying this (or being lumped in with another job).

I don't have a whole lot of understanding as to how the certification process works in Ontario. I know you guys are required to pass certification exams but who sets the standards? Are they set by a government licensing body kind of like what we have here in BC?

My understanding is that Ontario paramedics work more directly under their medical directors which means the scope of practise can vary significantly from service to service. One of the good things here is that your scope of practise is the same whether you're working in Vancouver or Dawson Creek (north-east corner of the province).

Only thing I'd add is change the name. College of Paramedics of British Columbia. If they're not a PCP or higher, kick them and their first aid certifications to the curb. You don't need to self-regulate a first aider.

I think you're right about the name. The one I put up was not my idea. It was the one used in the bulletin sent out by our current EMA licensing. While I agree that you don't need to self-regulate a first aider, they do still have to be regulated. Perhaps regulate them under the professional body without allowing them to set their own standards of practise. If any of them wish to become self-regulated they will have to head back to school and bump up to at least PCP. It would be hazardous to dump them off on a government body such as Worksafe BC. Current BC OFA 3 standards are an excellent example of why a health and safety body has no buisness setting even first aid standards of care.

Ed

Edited by rock_shoes

• 2 months later...

Well after the latest and greatest extremely foolish move of ACoP, that to divest in PAC :o then next best advice is initiating an Association of Paramedics of BC ...

TO represent Ambulance Paramedics of BC with no bargaining rights ...

1- to promote the profession and

2- improve educational standards ...

try under the societies act, only need 7 members to start it.

cheers

Well after the latest and greatest extremely foolish move of ACoP, that to divest in PAC :o then next best advice is initiating an Association of Paramedics of BC ...

What? Right after I've finally decide the best course of action is going to be to apply to SAIT ACoP loses what little it has left for intelligence. Guess I should still be okay as long as SAIT keeps it's 6 year accreditation.

TO represent Ambulance Paramedics of BC with no bargaining rights ...

1- to promote the profession and

2- improve educational standards ...

try under the societies act, only need 7 members to start it.

cheers

This may be an intelligent place to start. One of the best improvements I can think of would be to take paramedic programs out of the JI's hands altogether and move them to BCIT where they should have been to begin with. BCIT is the equivalent of SAIT or NAIT in BC.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.