Attempted Suicide

Over the weekend we had a 21yo try to off himself by drinking Draino. This was a new one on me. He had a fight with GF and after a night of drinkin' he decided to down about 12oz of Draino. I just found out that he has 50 50 chance and if he does pull thru he will not be able to talk or eat. He will have a feeding tube the rest of his life, will need liver transplant (as there are tubes there to filter already) and right now the surgeons have stapled his stomach closed and have moved his esoph. from the inside of neck to the outside. (this I have never seen or heard of) I am feelin' horrible cuz the only thing I can think of after this is that commercial for orbitz gum, "Gota dirty mouth" All of this to get attention from GF. On the bottle of draino it said to consume liquids to dilute, but wouldn't that cause a foamy reaction? (I dont mess with draino)

Sorry there was really no point to this story other than fact that I am just amazed at some people.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor kid what do these people think or in most cases not think when they do these things?

Just so you know WINZ about drano and how it works here is a little bit of what it does. Drano is made up of caustic soda or lye AKA sodium hydroxide. It will irrate the throat and airways. It erodes the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract.

Poor kid what do these people think or in most cases not think when they do these things?

That's the problem, they don't think. It's usually an impulsive thing - "I'll show you" and they live with the results and consequences for the rest of their life.

Most 'suicide attempts' are just that, a cry for help looking for attention. The legitimate ones are the people that are successful, they take their time, are very methotical and have a plan for success. These are the ones that people usually don't see coming.

We have one local that 'tries' to kill herself about once a week. Get's kind of annoying after awhile...

There was a patient in the ER during clinical a couple weeks ago who had attempted suicide by drinking anti-freeze. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, they didn't want to drink it all at once, so mixed a shot with cranberry juice and took one or two a day for the last two weeks. So while death is not forthcoming, liver failure is.

Had another guy I saw in ER rotation that tried to off himself with entire lg bottle of tylenol all cuz he got a DUI. He ended up in liver failure and no chance of getting another one, he is or was only 21

And no the GF is not hot

There was a patient in the ER during clinical a couple weeks ago who had attempted suicide by drinking anti-freeze. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, they didn't want to drink it all at once, so mixed a shot with cranberry juice and took one or two a day for the last two weeks. So while death is not forthcoming, liver failure is.

This is how I got toughend up on my practicum Doc.

Had a 28 y/o come into emerg after drinking unmixed anti-freeze. I made a pretty decent relationship with her for the few hrs she was with us, then she got transfered to ICU and was dead by my 3rd shift.......

Drinking water to dilute a smaller amount gives you a little better of a chance but not by much. It's so caustic that it erodes tissue pretty quickly, which is why it's so catastrophic when you drink a large amount.

Bleach is a much safer attention drink...

How sad. Too bad the guy didn't stop to think...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Isn't is almost always "had a fight with gf"? Sad really. Permanent solution to a temporary problem. When my ex broke it off with me, I thought about things and realized I was better off. Went over to a friends house, got a pizza, drank some beer and commented on tv shows and commercials at how dumb they were.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.