What has been the most valuable thing you have learned on EMTCITY?

itku2er

I've learned that the general consensus on the forum is that our EMS Education Standards are lacking in the US. Even according to our own.

The most valuable thing Iv learned at the City is that if I need information concerning medical issues of my family and friends I can post it here and I will get good information from otheres. The other thing I have learned is that you can make good friends on the internet.

Good point Jo and another good point is that not all programs are geared the same they have the same out come you go through them and if you pass NR you are a medic but some arent as indept as they should be.

That looking back at all of my posts since April 2005 (and even before that), I've become an older, angrier person. It's not always pretty.

That I used to be really passionate about this profession; now it's just a job, but I still take care of my patients and try to improve myself.

I've learned that some of the people coming out of school now scare me.

I've learned that I act more like an old-school EMSer than my age allows.

Edited by mediccjh

• 2 months later...

Heres my story for you.

A couple of years ago I was just getting into paramedic school, and just like fire school and emt school I found myself up late every night trying to study and really take in as much as possible, but I kept coming acroos things that I just wasn't understanding and at 1am its not like you can just call someone.

So I did a search for a ems related chat room or site, and low and behold I found this one. On that first night I joined and went into the chat and asked for a explanation on whatever it was I was studying at the time. Akflightmedic happened to be in there and he explained it perfectly on a level I understood, so for months after that any time it was late and I needed help I would log in and minimize the screen and check periodically to see if he had come in so I could ask what ever question was puzzling me.

Never once was I told I was stupid or made fun of for not being on the same level, I got straight forward answers that were broken down if I didnt understand them. Then eventually I actually started meeting people in the room and becoming friends.

And to attatch a side note to this. This reason alone is why I am not a fan of making the chat a pay site, im sure there are several people out there who like myself couldn't work much through medic school and had enough to eat and pay bills, and though 20$ isnt much money when you dont have it, it is. I understand and have read all the why's as to the reason it is pay now, ive just always been a big fan of knowledge is free when you ask questions.

To wrap it up, thats why I stayed on here for as long as I did, there was one person who always had a answer when I needed it, and that is one person whom I have alot of respect for.

• Like 1

Ak is brilliant. I'll give you that. But please don't discredit the others on here that are always willing to give great answers. I can go into names if you want. There are a few in particular that I'm always stoked to see answer one of my threads because I know I don't need to second guess their answers. Granted, in the time I've been here I've seen some people that shouldn't be allowed to hold a license, but for the most part everyone here is great. I'm still a student and I love that fact that rather than belittling me for my lack of knowledge, they seem to enjoy helping me to learn more and understand what I'm learning rather than just learning it by rote. We still need more scenarios, though! ;)

The people of EMS are just like a big barrel of apples.. Good and bad, not all the same, all serve a different purposes; but in the end, still an apple.

Edited by 4c6

I've learned that I am a no good Basic that doesn't belong anywhere near an ambulance... :P

But really, I've learned a tremendous amount from these forums... despite my sporadic involvement. I've learned what EMS used to be, come to understand where it is in the present, and learned what people's hopes are for the future.

The most important aspects of learning in these forums as far as I am concerned is the vast perspective difference between providers of all ages and levels of experience. It always suits me to try and see things from someone else's point of view. I have learned about Medicine from MD's, RN', LPN's, Medics, and Basics. Some of the old time posters I always like to see on these forums when I make an appearance... spenac, RichardBtheEMT, AK, itku2er (I've always wondered what that stands for), Dust, ERdoc, LoneRider... and many others (chbare frightens me sometimes with the stuff he knows). I like to be challenged, and I like my own views and perspectives to be put through the ringer every once in a while. I never take it personally... but I do sometimes get nervous about what type of reaction I might get. Some of the people on this site have soooo much knowledge and experience that it is sometimes daunting for me to intellectually spar with them. I think that I sometimes hold my own though... mostly because of my awe-inspiring grasp of vocabulary, and less because of my actual medical knowledge.

I am glad that I have learned from the amazing providers in the City, and hope that in some way I have helped others in their own quest for learnedness... I totally made that word up... but I like it. I am a much better provider now than I was back in '05... and I owe that to all of you. Oh... and Admin helped a little bit too (don't go getting a big head over that Admin... you already can't wear hats). :lol: