What's so good about it?

Jeweli39

:jump: My husband and I are looking into where we would like to move. So, what makes you town so good (include any details you feel are pertinant or interesting). On the flipped side, what about your town/city makes you want to move or not spend long term time there (again with the details). Please feel free to include jobs, enteretainment, pay, outdoor activities etc. No worries on the schools- no kids. Thanks

I started to type up stuff about my area, but then realized you'd be reading forever and decided to try to summarize(which is going to sound very vague, my apologies) and then if there was anything you wanted me expand on, let me know. I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia and I'm a native here(there aren't as many as you'd think), so I could go on for days about this area, good and bad.

The good side first. My favorite is the choice of settings while still having access to everything. Apartments to mansions and everything in between. Seaside, country(rural), suburban, downtown. For example, right now I live in a more country type area but on through road. But I'm only about a 6 minute drive(if I catch all the red lights) from the rest of the area. About 5-10 minutes past me you get into the real country area. Once you pass the 10 minute mark, you're getting into the downright rural parts of the area(Pungo and Blackwater). They are closer to a different part of the in-city, so are still only about 10 minutes(20 if you get way out in either area) to the bigger city. They do have their own shops too though so you wouldn't have to do all the driving for, say, milk. There are activities of every kind. My favorites are the museums, nature preserves, and historic sites. Any activities you enjoy, let me know and I can tell what we have. Shopping and dining are the same way. You can find almost anything to suit your style/tastes.

Now for the downside. Traffic can get kind thick during rush hour, though I've had people from other areas tell me it's not that bad. Maybe it's just me and my lack of patience? It's rarely at a stand still and that's usually limited to the interstates and certain major roads that I can steer you away from. Some areas of the city have quite a bit of jet noise from Oceana, our master jet base for the navy. If you were decide to come here, make sure your agent checks the noise level(provided by the city) and steers you clear of the flight path. Really, not that big a deal if your agent does their homework. There are lots of beautiful neighborhoods outside of the flight path and the newer homes are being built with at least some level of soundproofing. Other than that, you just want to steer away from the lower class areas which really aren't that bad either. We have a relatively low crime rate and some parts of the city are at or near zero, for various reasons. Either upscale or fairly rural. I know a lot of my neighbors don't lock their doors, ever, and have never had an intruder. We don't really have a shoulder on this road though so that probably factors in.

I'll finish up now. This is the summary, believe it or not, so if I left out anything you'd like to know feel free to ask.

Pretty much no matter where you go, you will have your pros and cons. Some places will have differences in them of course. You have to consider your options and find out what is best for you and your family.

My town has signs when you enter the "city" limits that say "A nice play to grow, if you just say no". Pretty great slogan for a town huh? Really tells you a lot of about it.

I live in the middle of nowhere, however I would highly recommend Lexington, KY or immediately surrounding areas. It's a fantastic area with plenty to do and lots of history.

PRO : If you are into civil war stuff, there's several recreation things done in surrounding areas. Hiking? One of the best areas at Natural Bridge close by. Sports? There's the UK Wildcats and Thoroughblades (a minor league hockey team) and Legends (triple A ball and a great time). Horse racing? Historic eautiful Keeneland is nearby and a great time can also be had at the Red Mile if you like harness racing. The Rolex three day event is held yearly at the horse park which is olympic level competitors and the Kentucky Horse Park has an amazing drive through christmas light display every year and other awesome events throughout the year (some horsey, some not). Also, the site of the 2010 World Equestrian Games (yeah, horse capitol of the world alot revolves around it) Biking? Several mountain trail biking and road racing groups. Restaraunts? Plenty of good food - lots of variety in all price ranges. Dancing and Clubbing? Plenty of types of places from swing dancing, to line, to country, to hip hop, to ballroom. Artsy type stuff? there's opera, ballet, museums, etc and lots of concerts at Rupp Arena year round for everything from Rascall Flatts to Buckcherry to Celtic Women. Crime? Pretty quiet not too bad. Housing? Quite reasonable (especially right now, or just outside lexington). Jobs? One of the few areas that is actually expanding. If you're in healthcare, jobs are very plentiful especially. Primary EMS is fire based, but there are two private services in the area, and surrounding areas are county based with very decent retirement (though pay in some places - especially as a basic can suck). However, alot of industrial, workman's comp, hospitals, etc hire EMS so it's fairly easy to find a job. If you are nationally registered basic or medic you have direct reciprocity if your current state license is in good standing. Computer technology stuff is also fairly big in the area as well. As far as healthcare, you've got UK (pretty decent level 1 trauma center) and two other large nationally recognized heart hospitals that are private. Traffic - pretty easy to get around courtesy of I-75, I 64, and Circle 4 (aka the ring around lexington) by which you can get almost anywhere in 30 min or less. Also a bunch of little festivals going on all the time in surrounding areas year round, so if you are into that type of stuff, it's pretty neat. Also, if you're into arts and crafts, Berea (about 30 min south) has all kinds quilts, country stuff, etc. And the farmer's market just rocks ! Plus the southern hospitality is alive and well there. And the temp - pretty temperate for the most part though you get a beautiful changing of seasons.

Now the CONS : Avoid the little local community hospitals - most of them are awful. If you are outside of lexington or louisville, healthcare is questionable in some areas. Also, many areas are pretty rural and it can take a good bit of time to get a response if you need one (average is 30 min outside city limits). If you aren't an outdoors person, well, there just isn't much to do. Almost everything revolves around the outside and if you don't care for it, other than shopping (which isn't that great - go to louisville, knoxville, or cincinatti) and movies, there's not much here. If you don't like rain, then you'll need to move for the months of March and April - that's monsoon season. The other big gripe is they don't know how to handle snow unlike other states - 3 inches and they think the world is coming to an end. Biggest problem isn't so much snow, it's ice and with the little back roads it can make for interesting commutes sometimes if you are very far off the interstate.

Overall though, it's a pretty good place to live I think, especially if you like a laid back pace and beautiful scenery - it's definitely for you. But if you prefer the big city lifestyle try going to Louisville or Cincinatti (though I highly advise against cincinatti - hate that place, louisville isn't bad though). Check them out at http://www.lexchamber.com/

Good luck in your search !