NREMT-P transfer to Alberta Paramedic?

I actually can't complain about ACP the woman I spoke too was helpful in preparing my application and she said it should only take a month or so to get a result. And on the note of American education there are some great schools usually accredited with high standards, my program had me complete 2 bio and anatomy courses, med.terminology, and pharmacology before paramedic classes even began.

The question you asked is simply about Provincial reciprocity. Unelss things have changed, there were only 2 programs out of the U.S that ACP would allow for complete reciprocity. One being in California and one being OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University). That being said, the best case scenario is you will probably have to complete an ALS practicum and probably an EMT-P refresher program. Very seldomly, if ever, has ACP allowed 100% reciprocity other than with OHSU. The last time that happened as far as I know was ~10 years ago. (I bed Dustdevil could give a better idea of the headache ACP will cause)

My short and blunt answers were because is it too difficult to do a forum search here or on ACP's website?ACP - Substantial Equivalency

Substantial Equivalency (From the link above)

Within the Province of Alberta, the practice of Emergency Medical Technician is a designated health discipline under the Health Disciplines Act. The College has been designated under this Act to administer the Emergency Medical Technicians Regulation and act as the self-regulating body.

There are three areas of practice currently defined in the Emergency Medical Technicians Regulation:

Emergency Medical Responder (EMR);

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT); and

Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic (EMT-P)

Equivalency reviews are conducted by the College's Registration Committee. The fee for an equivalency review is determined by College Council and is subject to change without notice; fees are non-refundable. The current fee schedule is:

$300 EMR equivalency;

$400 EMT equivalency; and

$650 EMT-P equivalency.

Preparing Your Equivalency Submission

Equivalency submissions must be mailed directly to the College. Email and fax will not be accepted. Approved applicants may apply for temporary registration.

Applications for equivalency must include:

Completed application form.

A detailed course outline with learning objectives and time lines for didactic, clinical, and ambulance components. Be sure to include the number of hours and/or weeks for each program component.

Examples of sufficiently detailed learning objectives include:

Methods used to deliver the material (eg. lectures, home study, lab, computer managed learning)

Bibliography listing of the texts used as well as copies of all printed resource material (eg. Bibliography; Egan; Fundamentals of Respiratory Therapy, Mosby, 1985.)

Methods and pertinent documentation used to evaluate the student's competence in each component: didactic, clinical and ambulance.

Minimum competency requirements for instructors and preceptors.

Confirmation of Program Completion

Original certificate or certified true copy; or

Official confirmation of current attendance.

Copies of additional EMS related training or instruction, such as BTLS or CPR.

Cross Referencing

In order to assist the Registration Committee in determining equivalency, a cross reference to the Alberta Occupational Competency Profile (AOCP) is required. The cross reference documents below contain only the main headings of the competency profile. Please review all the of the sub-competencies contained in the profile to accurately determine your level of equivalency.

EMR Cross Reference Document

EMT Cross Reference Document

EMT-P Cross Reference Document

Privacy Policy | © Alberta

So in short, have you done a cross reference of the ACOP document for EMT-P's? Have you looked at the skill set and compared with your program? This should give you an idea of what to expect. Even in Ontario where some would argue have the 'best training programs' for ACPs (EMT-P), you are required to bridge gap profiles and upgrade prior to being able to register. Even then, it is a 'restricted' license.

Agreement on Internal Trade (Labour Mobility Within Canada)

"Depending upon which province you are applying from, you may require additional training to achieve full scope-of-practice in Alberta. Please refer to the following documents for comparisons of registration categories:"

"Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing of your application. Following successful completion of application process applicants will be sent a letter with instructions on how to complete the online Alberta Jurisprudence Exam. This exam is a mandatory requirement. (See, you still have to do a registration exam...) Upon passing the exam, applicants may complete registration with the Alberta College of Paramedics by following the steps outlined in the New Practitioner Registration Package."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and no, it was not a cheap shot. It was in defense to what kevkei said

"Simple answer, NO.

Perhaps when hell freezes over. (You'll understand if and when you understand who and what ACP is)."

So what then, it's a cheap shot at me? If so, then pick the fight with me not the rest of the country. And while we're at it, make sure not to bring a knife to a gun fight.

Since I have taken the time to write out a lengthy response and to do the footwork for someone else, would you like to question anything else I have said??????

you're right, sorry

Apologies, missed those posts as I was typing and researching.

Edited by kevkei

I would invite an additional practicum or training to adjust to the Alberta ALS system, hopefully thats the case and not a complete re-take of a program, I was granted 100% reprocity in Ontario without additional hours but the testing isnt til the fall so I decided to apply in Alberta, find out soon I guess.

I would invite an additional practicum or training to adjust to the Alberta ALS system, hopefully thats the case and not a complete re-take of a program, I was granted 100% reprocity in Ontario without additional hours but the testing isnt til the fall so I decided to apply in Alberta, find out soon I guess.

Understand... The point here is, Ontario still doesn't get 100% reciprocity. I would suggest if ACP gives you a hard time, it might be easier to get the Ontario reciprocity and then transfer out here if you were interested. (Kind of coming in through the back door.)

Understand... The point here is, Ontario still doesn't get 100% reciprocity. I would suggest if ACP gives you a hard time, it might be easier to get the Ontario reciprocity and then transfer out here if you were interested. (Kind of coming in through the back door.)

Good thought. Lord knows the job market in Ontario is incredibly tight. So much so that it seems more and more services are turning to geography as a way to thin the applicant pool. (i.e. Waterloo and Peterborough not considering or not giving equal consideration to non-local applicants) I've got all my ACoP stuff printed off and waiting for if I don't get a job this time around. Ditto for NS, NB and SK.

Yeah I will do that if it comes down to it, by the time i get the practical and written done in ontario could be 7-8 months from now so I thought it would be worth a shot in Alberta being that I want to stay here for awhile.

I am looking at a transfer to Canada, primarily the Yukon to undertake a contract there nursing and EMT. I am mainly writing in response to Aarons pathetic miniscule comments.

You have come back to this site and already have caused nothing but disharmony. Wouldn't it be best to actually complete your NR and EMT-P before actually ripping into individuals and people from other countries who actually have qualifications, certification and oh surprise surprise, are actually working as paramedics. You have insulted others from another country which is bluntly, pathetic and again, I reiterate my point, when you actually pass EMT P and actually register, then talk, otherwise keep your mouth shut and its people like you that make me very happy I am bypassing America and going to Canada!

Well best that you stop in and visit for a beer EH, on your way north celticcare ... !

ps ever hear the term Stanfields ? te he.

cheers

Now here is the historical perspective ... US REMT-P were THE trainers in Edmonton 25 years ago when ALS was initiated, the past office manager for ACoP an REMT-P as well .

cheers

Is it a fairly smooth transition to transfer between provinces or is it much like our disjointed NREMT which is supposed to allow us to go from state to state , but in actuality just makes things harder?

Is it a fairly smooth transition to transfer between provinces or is it much like our disjointed NREMT which is supposed to allow us to go from state to state , but in actuality just makes things harder?

The Search Engine on this site works well, yes I think you have got it pegged ... so before you pack your bags check the link below, most US REMT-P are restricted to BLS level and thats IF their credentials are accepted but then again those are few and far between and nope there is no national direct reciprocity on any level, without much hoop jumping, just waiting for exams to be sheduled alone, check out Alberta College Website first, heck even dustdevil was put off with all the hoops and hes got more credencials than a Para God himself.

As if anywhere these days, just one knock on the door and it opens up magically, just aint going to happen !

My best advice is take the entire Paramedic program over here in AB because in the long run it will be more cost effective and thats going to be at least 2 years total time, minimum.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?showtopic...mp;#entry210195

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.