EMT tactical...

So basically, There are a bunch of tactical courses offered, but actually putting that training to use is seldom needed, and I don't think there is any pay differential around here.

Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Tactical teams are used more often that you realize. They don't just show up for the high crisis situations you see on tv. They go to anything from serving warrants, to drug busts, to hostage situations. They are very busy believe it or not.

Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Tactical teams are used more often that you realize. They don't just show up for the high crisis situations you see on tv. They go to anything from serving warrants, to drug busts, to hostage situations. They are very busy believe it or not.

I'm not well enough versed in the local tactical situation, however the only EMT's or Paramedics going to such scenes as you described, are going to be members of the Emergency Services Unit, which are experienced NYPD Officers who are EMT's or Paramedics.

I've done stand by's for barricaded EDP's, Hostage Situations, Mental health and hygiene Warrants, and in all these situations the Emergency Services Unit takes care of the tactical aspect, then rush the patient out to us.

I would venture to say this is different from location to location.

I'm not well enough versed in the local tactical situation, however the only EMT's or Paramedics going to such scenes as you described, are going to be members of the Emergency Services Unit, which are experienced NYPD Officers who are EMT's or Paramedics.

I've done stand by's for barricaded EDP's, Hostage Situations, Mental health and hygiene Warrants, and in all these situations the Emergency Services Unit takes care of the tactical aspect, then rush the patient out to us.

I would venture to say this is different from location to location.

Very true, every place is different. I was just giving an example of my location. I also believe L.A. SWAT does similar. Or more likely we do similar to them. They move in, do their thing, bring patient to EMS. It isn't very clear to me why they need medics to be part of the assault team, other than to treat on scene until it becomes secure. I guess like a field medic in the army?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.