EZ IO vs Bone Injection Gun (B.I.G.)

fireflymedic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt agree more, EZ IO is the forefront but the BIG would be great as a backup that is rarely used. I have had my share of IO's that did not make it deep enough in the bone, however, never had the second shot not make it. If i have to go for a second shot ud better be damn sure im gona make it work.

Has anyone ever tried it into the humerous? I have been toying with the idea in my head lately but havnt met anyone that has also tried it. Im curious, but at the same time kinda hesitant....

I couldnt agree more, EZ IO is the forefront but the BIG would be great as a backup that is rarely used. I have had my share of IO's that did not make it deep enough in the bone, however, never had the second shot not make it. If i have to go for a second shot ud better be damn sure im gona make it work.

Has anyone ever tried it into the humerous? I have been toying with the idea in my head lately but havnt met anyone that has also tried it. Im curious, but at the same time kinda hesitant....

The Humerous should have been part of the training on the EZ-IO. It works extremely well.

If the battery dies (highly unlikely), you can still insert the EZ needle manually like a regular IO.

Both of them run the risk of osteomylitis, which is infection in the bone(s). It can take years to recover from or it will kill the patient. You should take extra precautions to cleanse the area properly to decrease the risk of infection. I'm waiting for the lawsuits to start coming out against BIG and EZ IO.

Just purchased some EZ I/O's today. They run about a grand a piece with a few needles. The cost is about $100 bucks a pop and $120 for the larger one. As well, you can insert manual if there is battery failure. Most rep.'s will give you an additional drill free as the money is made off the needles. I did not even consider BIG or FAST as I have heard horror stories and I have used FAST and was not impressed.

R/r 911

EZIO will run you about $300+ for the driver, and $80 each for needles. BIG is self-contained and I get them for around $60 each.

The medic services I work for use EZIO for ease of use and general reliability. We carry the BIG on the SWAT team, partly for cost, partly for size and weight.

A local service here was having trouble with their BIGs. WAISMed sent a rep out and retrained them on its use, and they've enjoyed very good success with them. For the EZIOs, we almost never have a problem with them when we use them.

Overall, I like the EZIO better, but BIG has a role.

'zilla

EZIO will run you about $300+ for the driver, and $80 each for needles. BIG is self-contained and I get them for around $60 each.

Wow! I need your rep! It costs me $6200 for 6 drivers with four needles. Of course the newer model (short handle) was $15 more.

R/r 911

I know of a very experienced anesthetist that is trained in EMS and he managed to inject the BIG into his thumb! I can happen to the best of us.

My personal preference is the EZ-IO. (I have used the BIG). It's fast, easy and leads to a better result than the BIG.

One thing we do need to remember is that the placement of an EZ isn't painful but infusion therapy sure as hell is! That's why we flush with 2% lidocaine first.

WM

I have seen videos of both being used, but never used one personally. My question is about disinfecting. What if one gets blood or something else on it. Do you have send it to a rep to get cleaned, do you soak it in a bucket with a cleaning solution, or is it easily taken apart yourself to be cleaned? Forgive my ignorance, since I have never actually held either in my hands to look at for myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.