Ambulance Doors in Different Countries

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not the ambulances from the movie, the pictures are of the style door I was talking about. Also, as a reference, the power gurney lift was not in the movie, although I kind of like the concept. As stated, why don't we have this kind of stuff in current use here in the US of A?

Why is it, I now see Phil, sucking in his gut, puffing out his chest and yanking that door open and throwing it up in the presence of a patients hot 24 year old granddaughter? :lol: :lol: :lol:

4cmk6 we have similar in QLD. They are generally F250/F350 cabs with the big boxy back. Here's a pic of one:

However, we are now switching over to Mercedes Sprinters where it's the two rear doors. Here's a couple pics of our new ambulances.

This pic is of a victorian ambulance but gives you an idea of the interior:

We have a forward facing patient care seat and a rearward facing seat at the head of the patient. On the wall next to this rearward seat is a wall mounted airway kit containing LMAs, OPs, etc for quick access. In front of the forward facing seat are draws containing cannulation equipment. On top of these draws are a bracket for our LP12. The left side (passenger side in OZ) has a sliding door which opens up to where our kit, o2 kit, vac splints, stair chair and defib are usually kept. There is also access into the rear of the ambulance from hear. The right hand side (drivers side) also has a sliding door where we store 2xD size o2 cylinders(for use whilst in transit) and 2xspare C size o2 cylinders. These new ambulances contain stryker stretchers and stair chairs where as our old ambulances contain Ferno's. There are storage compartments up the top on both sides of the ambulance where we keep o2 masks, bandages, maternity kits, burn stuff, etc...Pretty much everything we carry in our normal kit.

I just noticed something.

In Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, the Sprinter type trucks are mostly Mercedes, even those used as delivery vehicles. Here in the US, the Sprinters seem to primarily be Dodge Ram delivery vehicles, or small passenger buses. I have not seen, at least in the New York City region, any Sprinter ambulances, either Mercedes or Dodge based.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.