Ambulance Doors in Different Countries

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen quite a few of the units you're talking about, especially in Northern Alberta (Canada). It seems like 'round here they're mostly industrial contractors providing medical standby, plus some second hand ones which have gone to volunteer first aid services like St. John Ambulance... here's a link to one of the bigger companies with a picture of the type of unit http://ipsems.com/ho...ices/your-needs

From looking at the picture, it looks like it has 4x4as well, which is a requirement for any kind of industrial medical vehicle up here. I've never been able to figure out who builds them like that, but it must be a North American builder

Edited by Secret_77

lifts and ramps on Uk vehicles are because of the manual handling laws in the UK and the fact that it has been felt by the HSE that 'easy load' or 'roll in' stretchers are not sufficient to meet the requirements in road ambulances unless you have a powered loading tray ( as per the rogertastic Staffs / Wmids Ducatos)

We also drive a Sprinter like the one above, it's the most common ambulance around here. On a national basis, Norwegian ambulances are mostly VW T5 Carawelles (top joint) Mercedes Sprinters (split doors), Mercedes E-series (top joint) or Volvo S80s (top joint). I have never heard of them slamming down on anyone, but I have hit my head in them a few times over the years (I'm quite tall though). A problem I have encountered with these doors, especially with cars built with a less rigid composite material, is that you might find the door unable to lock in place if the car is standing sloped sideways. It kind of gets a bit skewed, and the door won't fit the hole.

Can you elaborate? I've seen this referenced before but never got an explanation.

first a brief summary of the regulatory position in the UK

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/manualhandling.htm

"The Regulations establish the following clear hierarchy of control measures:

1. Avoid hazardous manual handling operations so far as is reasonably practicable, for example by redesigning the task to avoid moving the load or by automating or mechanising the process.

2. Make a suitable and sufficient assessment of any hazardous manual handling operations that cannot be avoided.

3. Reduce the risk of injury from those operations so far as is reasonably practicable. Where possible, you should provide mechanical assistance, for example a sack trolley or hoist. Where this is not reasonably practicable, look at ways of changing the task, the load and working environment."

the first point there sums it up 'redesigning the task' was felt to be reasonably practicable

the control measures in the case of loading a trolley stretcher into an ambulance are

ramp + winch or tail lift

you can also use the ramp or lift with carry chairs/ stair chairs , wheelchairs or to aid someone who is not very steady on their feet to get from the road level to the ambulance floor level

with this we've also seen a move to hydraulic raise / lower trolley cots such as the Ferno falcon and Pegasus and it's electrically powered cousin the harrier to reduce / remove the lifting element of altering the height of the trolley

as a note the trolleys are usually transported in the down position where the bed in 15 -18 inches from the floor and they have double folding push -pull handles on each end to enable this - rather than the operator at the side pushing that the 'transport high' trolleys such as the ferno 35a or it;s UK hybrid cousin the Pioneer adopt.

http://www.ferno.co.uk/products/ambulance/trolleys-locks-accessories

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.