Ambulance Doors in Different Countries

I recently saw the movie "Knowing", starring Nicholas Cage. In this movie, his character is present at the scene, as a jetliner crashes near Logan International Airport, near Boston, and at a New York City Subway Station when a subway train derails at high speed.

In both instances, the responding EMS units, supposedly from those respective city's EMS agencies, have totally different rear patient loading doors than anything I am familiar with. The ambulances shown had what I can best describe as rear lift hatches, such as might be found on some "fastback" cars, and a number of vans and minivans, such as my Chevy Venture.

As in Cage's previous movie, "Ghost Rider", the film was shot in Australia.

Boston and NYC use type 1 modular ambulances, but they have what is my usual experience of 2 side by side doors for the rear.

Does Australia use ambulances with the lift hatch, as I described? I'm presuming that the film company used locally available ambulances, and merely painted them to look like Boston EMS, or FDNY EMS vehicles?

On a tangent, I also mention that the movie is a good suspense movie, admittedly with some religious overtones. Lady J and I both enjoyed it, and recommend it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard here is a topic on ambulances with back door lifts. Hope it helps.

http://www.emtcity.com/index.php?showtopic...+back+door+lift

Spen, I think Rich may be talking about the style of Ambulance that was popular for awhile around here with a single rear hatch that openned like the back of your minivan or SUV. They didn't last long as the pistons kept failing injuring patients and crew (from what I understand; before my time.) I'll go hunting for a pic.

- Matt

Spen, I think Rich may be talking about the style of Ambulance that was popular for awhile around here with a single rear hatch that openned like the back of your minivan or SUV. They didn't last long as the pistons kept failing injuring patients and crew (from what I understand; before my time.) I'll go hunting for a pic.

- Matt

OOPs my bad. I do like the rear lifts like in the discussion I posted, but I think what you describe is an accident waiting to happen.

OOPs my bad. I do like the rear lifts like in the discussion I posted, but I think what you describe is an accident waiting to happen.

I give up. Without knowing the specific make/model it's impossible to google effectively. Little help from anyone who knows what I'm talking about?

dsc06375.jpg

A close up look at the tail lift of a McNellie Ford Transit. Look at the thought that has gone into it. When the rear door is swung up, duplicates of the exterior lights it covers are revealed and operated.

How about that ?

I work out of said model currently.

It is an old crestline body... 80's I believe.

The door lifts exactly like a minivan.

3 problems

1) hitting your head

2) struts do not support the weight of the door in freezing temperatures

3) I.V. pole in full extended posuition smashes out the back window when you lift the cot into the unit.

Found a pic of me and a co-worker loading a patient in the single lift rear door....

http://www.woodentoystore.co.uk/images/S580A-1_small.jpg

Edited by mobey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.