911, can I help you?

We have had a few local news stories regarding "stupid" 911 calls flooding the system. I have some strong opinions about this. First, we don't want to scare people out of calling 911. On the other hand, it seems like when I was younger 911 was only called for emergencies. Of coarse I didn't work for EMS so I don't know if that was fact. When I respond to a call, it is their emergency. I try not to question why they didn't just drive to the hospital.

I have seen some systems implement guidelines that allow the medic to better educate the patient on the use of 911. This sounds like a good idea as long as the medic doesn't take this too far.

What do you think?

Sounds like an alright idea. Although, if the pre-hospital employees are to educate the public on the use of 911, they themselves, the paramedics, emt's, firefighters, police should also be educated in how to go about this and why. Having a bunch of people out there giving their opinions on it could end in disaster. Maybe only allow this to be done by a supervisor.

I think they do educate them and they may even use some brochures. We have the brochures but they are more aimed towards teaching children when t call, not teaching adults when not to call.

I just think we should have a non-emergent transport option. Maybe something we call for after responding and it is deemed necessary. I believe Miami Dade FD utilizes this option.

Edited by FL_Medic

I have no idea. We don't have anything here except opinionated people telling off patients. Doesn't always happen, but it does once in awhile. Public education is a must.

There was a 911 call once when I was working a couple years back, for a "fall victim". Caller stated patient lost consciousness and the whole nine yards. We get there to find a 30 year old guy who tripped and most likely had a broken toe. Never even "fell", just a near fall. A stubbed toe.. while we were tied on on that crap, another call came in for a cardiac arrest. The patient insisted we took him to the hospital, and we were unable to go on the more serious call. Although, now I think we have the option to divert to the more serious calls. Not sure how it works if we are already on the first call though.

I just think we should have a non-emergent transport option. Maybe something we call for after responding and it is deemed necessary. I believe Miami Dade FD utilizes this option.

Unfortunately, paramedics are very poor at judging what level of care the patient needs.

I have seen some systems implement guidelines that allow the medic to better educate the patient on the use of 911. This sounds like a good idea as long as the medic doesn't take this too far.

What do you think?

If the patient has already called you...

For the patient, it is their emergency. It may be the first time they felt that chest pain that you write off as just indigestion. Okay, a little extreme unless you are from Washington DC.

But, if you approach the education wrong, all you will do is make the ones who may really have an emergency think twice about that chest pain because you said to "be sure you have an emergency". It will be the middle class businessman that doesn't want a scolding for abusing the system for his chest pain. It will be the little elderly person who hears your words and will take them to heart by not wanting to be a bother and will not call until it is too late. The ones that abuse the system probably aren't going to listen to you.

It is not just medical calls that are flooding the system. Remember, 911 is also used for PDs and FDs.

People use 911 to complain about their neighbor's dog, get directions on the freeway, see if there is a traffic jam, complain about a news story (see the Dallas Police thread), get a cat out of a tree, find Fluffy, find Rover, the kid should have been home from school 5 minutes ago and the kitchen faucet is dripping can the FFs do something about it.

yup, paramedics are morons and have no concept of patient care.

You don't have to take it to that extreme with the name calling.

However, there are several studies that do show Paramedics are weak in determining the severity of illness and complications especially with medical calls.

Right now we have too many 3 month wonders roaming the streets which still makes many systems only as strong as their weakest link.

Edited by VentMedic

yup, paramedics are morons and have no concept of patient care.

I did not say that. What I did say is backed up in the literature. Take a read of these papers and then we can have a discussion:

Levine SD. How well do paramedics predict admission to the hospital? A prospective study. The Journal of emergency medicine 2006;31(1):1-5.

Pointer JE. Can paramedics using guidelines accurately triage patients?. Annals of emergency medicine 2001;38(3):0268-0277.

I did not say that. What I did say is backed up in the literature. Take a read of these papers and then we can have a discussion:

Levine SD. How well do paramedics predict admission to the hospital? A prospective study. The Journal of emergency medicine 2006;31(1):1-5.

Pointer JE. Can paramedics using guidelines accurately triage patients?. Annals of emergency medicine 2001;38(3):0268-0277.

Remembering some of his other posits, I couldn't tell if he was an EMT (U.S. standards) looking to take a swing at Paramedics.

Remembering some of his other posits, I couldn't tell if he was an EMT (U.S. standards) looking to take a swing at Paramedics.

Ah, I can't keep up with all that. I'm always up for a good discussion but it is frustrating to see those who ignore literature. That'll sure move the occupation/profession forward...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.