If you could change one thing about EMS what would it be?

itku2er

Not sure if this has been discussed as a topic of its own I couldnt find it if it has but I would like to know the following:

What is the one thing you would change about EMS?

How would you go about making those changes?

!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National Standard Educational Requirements. Federal mandates/leadership to take over, no longer let states pick what they want to do. If we had real requirements, possibly through licensure (more education) and not certification, I would say a large portion of our issues would resolve themselves (from pt. outcomes and skill proficiency to practitioner compensation).

The next step is a national standardization of classifications and it's coming. The new guidelines will have 4 categories of prehospital providers- emergency responder, EMTB, advanced EMT, and paramedic. Obviously this needs to be adopted across the board, but it will certainly lessen some of the confusion. Problem is, there are so many variables- volunteers, EMTB/EMTP crews, intermediates, first responders, and just as many types of organizations that provide the service. Counties, private providers, fire based, hospital based, 2 tiered responses,- and combinations of these and many more. Point is, many of the problems are very specific to each area, thus there could never be simple solutions. The vital issues facing one area may be nonexistant just a few miles away.

A prime example and frustrating thing is that 2 people could have an identical background and training, but depending on where they work, their compensation is anything but standard. Everyone is held to the same standards but as we know, it's tough for a small town provider to make a living, but someone in a large urban area may be making double or triple their salary for providing the same care. In this economy, I would say this is probably the most important issue in that it cuts across all flavors of EMS.

I would change the "culture" of our industry. We are an industry full of whiners and bitchers who would rather moan about what is wrong, rather than roll up our sleeves and attempt to fix it. We have too many people with opinions about what is "wrong" with EMS, we need some "workers" who want to be part of the solution.

Ask yourself this question: What have I done this week to improve my skills, my company, or my industry. If the answer is nothing, then you are part of the problem.

Good question I2k.

I would change the "culture" of our industry. We are an industry full of whiners and bitchers who would rather moan about what is wrong, rather than roll up our sleeves and attempt to fix it. We have too many people with opinions about what is "wrong" with EMS, we need some "workers" who want to be part of the solution.

Ask yourself this question: What have I done this week to improve my skills, my company, or my industry. If the answer is nothing, then you are part of the problem.

Good question I2k.

Culture is a relative term. The culture in your area may be totally different than mine which means many problems will be unique to a community. I do agree that we need to take control of our own destiny, which is far easier said than done. We need more people in positions of authority- not just in EMS, but as elected officials at the local and national levels. We are still very young and I think in time we will begin to assume more roles of policy makers, which is the only thing that will change the current climate. Most people have no idea the issues their local prehospital providers face, much less the problems that are national in scope. Things like public ed, PSA's, and again, legislative power will eventually help.

As an aside, I think its time to stop using the "were a young industry" phrase to excuse deficits in EMS. We have been around since the 1970's, that is more than enough time to get our shit worked out. The PC industry really didn't get rolling till the 1980's, now there is a computer in everyones home. Whats our problem?

IAFF needs to break ties with EMS. EMS should be its own entity and have the same local and federal representation that police and fire enjoy. The three entities compliment each other but have no similarities. I'm sorry if fire needs EMS to keep funding, but EMS should not be saddled with that.

How about some accountability in government spending and funding would not be such an issue.

National Standard Educational Requirements.

That is, of course, the bottom line, as well as the necessary first step. That one step addresses each and every one of the other suggestions listed in subsequent posts. Increased educational requirements will change the cert levels. They will change the culture of the profession, because people will have a two to four year vested interest to protect, instead of just three weeks of night school. It will change the IAFF interest in EMS, because they will be unwilling to commit to two to four years of education to hold on. It will eliminate the volunteers because again, nobody commits to two to four years minimum education just to play with the siren. It will even decrease the fat people, because fat people have low levels of personal motivation and are less likely to complete two to four years of education.

There is NOTHING that we cannot fix with education.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.