Spitefullness and you

JPINFV

Just my 2 cents worth. I live and work in a very rural service. We are all vollies, and I would tend to say that 98% of our patients are people who we have either provided service to in the past or that are known to us from living in this town. It is not unusual for at least one member of the squad to know the patient.

That being said, I have never seen or heard of a pt. that we come in contact with that was not treated with the upmost respect, courtesy and professionalism.

Believe me, if it were any other way, the word would spread like a wildfire.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VENT -

I too have seen the paralytic pushed without sedation, however it was due to medic ignorance thank God.

LOL... I guess we can at least say those being spiteful know their drugs well enough to understand the reaction each brings but not well enough to know the potential consequences for the patient or from other medical professionals.

Bitch'in and whining are not exclusive to EMS. In fact I would challenge you to find a field where it isn't present.

Why would we expect EMS to be different? Its human nature, if people if are involved, you can be sure that a minority of them will be unhappy for whatever reason.

I would bet they do more then the general public is aware of. As with EMS it only becomes public when there is ramifications from such behavior.

Education and responsibility does not eliminate stupidity. I hope thats not what your expecting.

Pilots have human and electronic monitors watching them. EMS often has lax oversight and the "what happens in the truck stays in the truck mentality".

Maturity is what is lacking in incidents with the examples given. This profession does not always attract those that are in it for the patient but rather to satisfy their own fascination with L&S, pretty trucks, nice uniforms and a feeling of being in control of someone's life if just for a few minutes.

If the person has no interest in medicine or patient care, it can just become playtime for their own amusement or personal agenda at the patient's expense. If education and clinicals were longer, this type of future provider could be weeded out. It is more difficult to wash out those that shouldn't touch patients during a three month program with sleepovers on an ALS engine for clinicals.

Edited by VentMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.