T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

Obviously Liepart hasn't read the document from Dalhousie on the national shortage of ACP's and retention.

We are not even training enough right now to meet retirement attrition as it is.

If things get bad enough in AB I think she's forgeting that AIT is also a 2 way street.

1- Liepert can read ? Doesnt he have pple for that, and maybe someone to find where his ass meets the road ? Just an idea ... Gov of AB website ... lets sent him a letter ? (ps) MY MP resoponds in about 4 days .

2- Good points (disregard the sarcasm)

3-AIT is a 2 way street thats the whole idea, no barriers to trade OR mobility of Labour.

akroeze

So what does this all mean for me as a jobless ACP who may be looking at a province such as yours to find one? Is this situation to MY benefit or is this a situation where I should wait for the dust to settle?

I would wait for dust to settle, honestly do you like what you are heariing? You are recognised from your intellegent posts and we would be happy to have you ..

That said: sometimes the grass appears to be greener on the other side and it turns out to be quak grass ... ie the realities in cost of living. ie: hell did you know you are paying less at the pump for gas than AB is (and it comes from AB) .... yes really ..... well unless you live in Geralton.

cheers

Well if we had ANY info on what is coming I would give you an opinion.

There are about 75 + openings for ACP right now though.... but most are integraded. Not forever, but for a while.

Sorry Mobey my friend WRONG:

There maybe 75 places said openings ... but one heck of a lot of resume hunters (saying your looking and actual hiring 2 different things) ... ask yourself a question as an employer with all this transition going on and whose wallet cash is what, would you honestly be hiring, the cost in training a new hire alone is a large expediture.

FREAK, you hearing what I am laying down .... they are bullying you and it is harrassment go make a complaint to Employment Standards TOO get the whole shooting match involved.

As for the Industrial EMS .. they are renown for this "head hunting tactic" AND just to bid contracts, Oil Patch has slowed to a snails pace with the exconomy down turn.

cheers

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok follow up question. To those who have responded thank you very much for your input, I have several options open to me and right now if I don't get a job I'm looking at: AB, NS, BC as my short list (plus going out of country). What kind of time frame are we looking at? I keep hearing April 1st. Is it a case of "all will be revealed" on that date? Or is that just the first day in a long process of finding out what will really happen?

Dude, I'd go NB if I were you. Brand new system that you can get in on the ground floor of. And, of course, the hottest chicks in Canadia.

Closer to home than any of the other systems too.

Edited by Dustdevil

I would consider NB except in reading the ANB website they don't seem to have ACPs in their system.

Well, I haven't kept up with their progress in the last couple of years, since EHS of NS began planning the NB system. But it's still in it's infancy, and they are still trying to get schools going for ACP, as far as I know. They will, however, be going ALS once they can start getting people trained. That ground floor opportunity is what appeals most to me. I hate NS system though, so I fear that NB will be plagued with the same issues they suffer (which are very similar to BC).

Well, I haven't kept up with their progress in the last couple of years, since EHS of NS began planning the NB system. But it's still in it's infancy, and they are still trying to get schools going for ACP, as far as I know. They will, however, be going ALS once they can start getting people trained. That ground floor opportunity is what appeals most to me. I hate NS system though, so I fear that NB will be plagued with the same issues they suffer (which are very similar to BC).

Perhaps you mean a drastic shortage of ALS providers paired with an employer unwilling to try alleviating said shortage? Oh and don't forget an antiquated licensing body that seems to think IM injection is too complicated for a PCP while SC is just peachy. Maybe it's squashing a 1 year PCP program into a 4 month time frame. Yes the material is actually covered in that time frame. I know first hand. How much of it people remember and are able to apply afterwards varies wildly from person to person. Maybe you mean working for up to 5 years at slave wages before a "full-time" position can become a reality for you? Those are the realities in BC right now. I hope for the sake of NS's citizens that isn't the case there.

Ok could someone draw up about 20 mgs of Midazolam for Freak ... cause she is going to Freaking loose it, cause I did !

So after a 4 whole months of meetings (that hasnt amounted to a pile of donkey crap)

The new HEALTH SUPER BOARD have just received from 20 to 25 % increase in their wages .

AND oddly enough Stelmach (aka the King of AB ) and his court Jester Liepert (the health minister) somehow are both are in meeting's and unavailable for comment, wierd huh ?

CUPE is going to love that hear that Aldermen in Deadmonton (city council) are also getting huge raises to the tune total 1.5 million.

Well aint that a just a kick in the Head ..... we so need a NEW provincial government!

Perhaps you mean a drastic shortage of ALS providers paired with an employer unwilling to try alleviating said shortage? Oh and don't forget an antiquated licensing body that seems to think IM injection is too complicated for a PCP while SC is just peachy. Maybe it's squashing a 1 year PCP program into a 4 month time frame. Yes the material is actually covered in that time frame. I know first hand. How much of it people remember and are able to apply afterwards varies wildly from person to person. Maybe you mean working for up to 5 years at slave wages before a "full-time" position can become a reality for you? Those are the realities in BC right now. I hope for the sake of NS's citizens that isn't the case there.

Actually, except for the 4-month PCP and limited SOP issues, those are exactly what I was talking about. Both are significant problems in NS, and I expect the same incompetent management to export those problems to NB.

Actually, except for the 4-month PCP and limited SOP issues, those are exactly what I was talking about. Both are significant problems in NS, and I expect the same incompetent management to export those problems to NB.

How disheartening. I was hoping Nova Scotia would take advantage and learn from the mistakes that have been made in BC. A provincial system has excellent potential if managed correctly. Sure ALS members get to take all the "glory" calls in our targeted system but it also means that a great number of patients who would benefit from ALS care don't receive it because ALS is simply unavailable. I don't know if you've been to BC before or not Dust, but the distance between ALS cars is extreme in some cases. The last ALS car in BC as you head north is in Prince George (which happens to be in the middle of the province).

All this is what scares me about what's going on next door in Alberta. Alberta currently has far better ALS coverage than BC. From what I've seen to date it appears as though Stelmach is doing his best to copy the BC model which has the worst ALS coverage (though the few providers available are very good) in the country. While provincial services have great potential, the longest running example of it (BC Ambulance), is currently in a shambles. BCAS has steadily declined from being one of the most progressive services to the most antiquated. Whether or not it can be salvaged and returned to it's former self remains to be seen. Rest assured I will be sticking it out and doing everything I can to help with that. It isn't in me to abandon the people of my home province and run away to greener pastures. If we all do that things will never improve.

All this is what scares me about what's going on next door in Alberta. Alberta currently has far better ALS coverage than BC. From what I've seen to date it appears as though Stelmach is doing his best to copy the BC model which has the worst ALS coverage (though the few providers available are very good) in the country.

That is actually how they were trying to sell the idea. Their proposal was that they were going to increase the ALS coverage, especially in the rural areas. The problem is where are you going to find the Paramedics to do it?

As for copying the BC model, there are still 6 health regions that are each responsible for their own operations, so there won't be a common link across the Province. This is supposed to allow for each region to accomodate for their unique needs. Or so they have said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.