T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

In the final days before the mighty April 1st transition deadline originally set by the province to take over EMS in Alberta coming up.

I'm wondering if anyone else here in Alberta has heard what is going on with their service or funding for it.

Here at work we are going to become funded by Alberta come April one. The re-decaling of units and new uniforms are not top priority. However we are trying to get E-PCR's here (finally) by April 1. (They will probably get in by then, but not set up and trained.)

We have our new protocols (Those of PCH) We have books and are being tested on them for April 1.

It was decided at a meeting i attended a month and a half ago that the Ambulance Society I work for will no longer be funded by the municipality and that the province will be taking over funding April 1.

Officially I will be working for Alberta Health Services - North/ (North Division)

We are currently waiting to see if we will continue under our current agreement (Great 3 years ago, behind now.) We are looking at union with HSAA following PCH or Palliser.

VIA the local paper the municipality is looking at getting reimbursed for the purchase of new ambulance(s) recently bought. All the information above has been released to the local media.

Please try and keep discussion to FACTS and not "I think" or "I heard."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should link this discussion with the previous "alberta takes a step forward" topic. As it has been dormant for awhile, and I'd like to hear more peoples thoughts on the impending take over.

alberta takes a step forward

Thought I should start a new topic as we get closer to the date, as the other topic is getting quite long.

But update from even yesterday. I filled out my papers to be an employee of Alberta Health Services yesterday and also there is some work being done by some to join a union by employee's not management. I also read the manual of being a AHS employee, signed on the dotted line and filled out other paperwork. Seems like this is really going to happen at least here come April 1st.

Well IHAS's contract was turned down by AHS(yes i know they don't exist till April 1) because they didnt like the new wages that were offered to the employees. Our union was getting wages inline with other services in the area. AHS said if IHAS employees exept the contract that it will not be good for us as employees in the future because they will lay us all off and we would have to go through a hiring process with the province. So the province is already stepping on what unions can negotiate with their members in good faith.

So the province is already stepping on what unions can negotiate with their members in good faith.

LOL! pwn3d!

Seriously, who didn't see this coming?

LOL! pwn3d!

Seriously, who didn't see this coming?

It is going to be awesome when Ab loses 50% of it's medics to other provinces and careers once they realize they are underpaid and underapreciated compared to other places.

It is going to be awesome when Ab loses 50% of it's medics to other provinces and careers once they realize they are underpaid and underapreciated compared to other places.

I dunno, man. I don't see many people moving. People in EMS seem pretty reluctant to relocate. Everybody wants to be a hometown hero, not a mercenary for hire. Generally speaking, whatever they pay where they live is what they accept because they want that badly to work as a medic. And isn't the cost of living significantly better in most of AB than in other provinces?

Yes agreed the topic is worth a new thread.

NS is whining and they should, they get paid crap.

Quebec is going to the table and the press .... just no one understands what they saying/ parl'e ?

BCAS took a strike vote, but there messed up with only PCP in areas were ACP should be.

SK is starting to look really good, maybe Toba ... they have great beaches .

AB:

CUPE is doing everything in the power (including TV advertizements) and good one's too.

Posters and Billboards appearing everywhere, join HSAA .. have hospital weenies negotiate terms ? WTF!

Government dictating just what Union WE are suposed be members of ?

WTF where did the right to organize labour go ?

Private Operators not investing in Staff, Education or Capital purchases, since the anouncements.

Medics on integrated services are jumping to Fire side like rats jumping ship.

Dispatch centers are disapearing and lots of pple looking for jobs, good news for stimulating the economy.

The Minister of Health is saying to increase scope of practice for Paramedics but no mention of more beds opening up or just who is going to take care of the insurance rates when they sky rocket.

Then MOH appointing MDs that want to back to the dark ages, take away RSI and ETT.

ACoP gets caught telling stories out of school, going to get spanked, allowing OOP Medics working without due process or registration.

Past Medical Directors in rural areas AINT happy.

All this and Mobeys right too ... no drop in level of care ?

How stupid does Stelmach think we are, sure hope he doesn't get chest pain, would love to me the Medic on that call.

This IHAS is news to me ... no transfers till one signs on the dotted line ?

I just wonder how that will work out ... NOT ! stand your ground, your worth your money.

All this on APRIL FOOLS DAY ...

Well: I am sitting back with my sheep, drinking beer .... party at squints place, saying I told you so.

A Concept without A real Plan .. way too fast ... and the wrong people calling the shots.

Heres another interesting point. A lot of paramedics in alberta work for two or more different services. This might prove to be interesting for the province as they try to work out what applys as overtime. If you work for another AHS "service" on days off from your full time job, should you be compensated with overtime since you work for the same employer? Furhermore, if that said person quits, then the province loses and just one, but the equivalent of 1.5 or 2 employees.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.