T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The service I work for currently only runs one car of 2 paramedics, and the rest of us emt's are on call, does this affect patient car? Maybe, but atleast in Calgary they will have easy access to an ALS intercept, and the EMT's can deal with the drunks and the medics can get to the realpatients. Using an AAA as an example for the detriment of BLS vs ALS is silly any way, if it bursts then a ambulance isn't going to save your life, ALS or not

Squint

Parkland county has also downgraded to bls rigs with medic chase cars.

ugh

Becomes quite clear that the public should be informed .. but as you know ACoP is no longer a spokesmen for Paramedics just regulatory puppets for AHC and ALS care in this province the onus falls upon an association to represent Pre Hospital care in this province .. I am all ears as to alternatives .

cheers

One of my medics was just e-mailed from Red Deer. They are looking for 50 paramedics.

Interesting, but that is an integrated service fire/medics and with the new proposed regs the Paramedics will soon have to be working on a gut wagon ONLY ...

I wonder too if it is not just a means to do a little phishing expedition and if they cannot find enough to fulfill their needs then here comes BLS.

Or do what Ft. Mac has done and put the Paramedics on their pumpers and staffed ambulance with EMT only.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Lone Star I think this just may apply here.

Using an AAA as an example for the detriment of BLS vs ALS is silly any way, if it bursts then a ambulance isn't going to save your life, ALS or not

Early recognition of a AAA ... is the key feature for survival and not silly in the slightest. Besides an ALS intercept in the long term costs more time and money.

Not responding to this string specifically, but the idea of an ALS "flying squad" that evaluates patients so that an appropriate response is made_ALS or BLS- sounds good on the surface. Problem is, like all stop gap measures, the bottom line is you still need a transport of some type. It's always the limiting factor. You can have fire based EMS that relies on a private transport or even an EMS unit within the department, but there are never enough ambulances.

Where ALS resources are limited, an initial ALS responder is better than nothing.

Courtesy of PNN:

Edmonton’s emergency medical services is apparently hurting for paramedics. That, at least, is the contention being dangled by the Edmonton Sun (June 24) which said the service is having difficulty maintaining enough paramedics on board field units. According to the newspaper, at least two occasions last week saw some EMS units run with only EMTs;standard procedure is to have one EMT and one paramedic as crew. Alberta Health Services spokesman Dan Weiss said all of the affected vehicles were deployed within minutes of the Royal Alexandria Hospital. He also said BLS crews did have the option of calling for ALS back-up when the need arose.

Sure BLS can get to the call to triage and this in the highest call volume areas and most densely populated part of the city.

Mr Liepert speak with forked tongue !

ps Mr Liepert .... the Legislature is in that call response area ... and EVERYONE knows that the donut eating members of the Legislature are a low risk assessment for cardiac problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.