your opinion on a manditory 2 year degree for paramedic

2 year degree, good or bad?  

118 members have voted

1. 1.

• good
    • bad

As I've said before, we don't have a shortage of EMT's and paramedics- we have a shortage of GOOD EMT's and paramedics. When I was a shift supervisor we had no problem finding people who had their certifications and a pulse (all that is required in many places to work as an EMT), but finding people who I was willing to send out in good faith to treat the public and potentially my family and friends was exceedingly difficult.

Maintaining the status quo is not going to remedy the "shortage" we are currently experiencing and therefore the argument about compounding a supposed shortage is a moot point because as was said in one of my previous posts is that if you concern is simply to keep warm bodies on the rigs, expect to see a steady number (or God forbid an increase) of cold bodies coming out of them when they get to the hospital.

I agree 110%!!!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think making ems a two or four year program is a good idea

here in michigan the pay is very low at my company emt starts @ about

$7.00hr and a medic about $8.00hr sometimes a bit higher we cant get people to do ems the more people hear what ems makes the more

people are not getting into it we have alot of people going back to school

in the fall to get out of ems making it a 2-4 year degree will just hurt ems.

i do not see the wages going up anytime soon it has taken me 23years to

make what i do per hour thats sad.

*CLEARS THROAT*

Maintaining the status quo is not going to remedy the "shortage" we are currently experiencing and therefore the argument about compounding a supposed shortage is a moot point because as was said in one of my previous posts is that if you concern is simply to keep warm bodies on the rigs, expect to see a steady number (or God forbid an increase) of cold bodies coming out of them when they get to the hospital.

I live in a state that has a 2 yr requirement for paramedic. There is good and bad in this for a few reasons. I would like to see better medics in the field. However, we are not going to have that with just a 2 yr requirement. In my opinion it will take allot more than that. The best way I think to put better paramedics in the field is to start at the bottom and work up.

Our EMS field is having a hard time with a big shortage of paramedics because of this. Don't miss understand me. My goal is just not to have a warm body on the truck. But because of this 2 year mandatory, more people are going straight from basic to medic without working in the field more than a couple hours of rotation time.

I have seen good Basics who have been in the field for a long time, who's desire is to become a paramedic one day, but are unable to do so because they have families and just can not afford the time missed from work. The schooling required for a paramedic does not offer classes that work with the schedule of a working basic. These basic are having to lead paramedics out in the field who went straight from basic to medic. (Even with the 2 yr program.)

So if the goal it to better medics out in the field start not only with a 2yr program but with making sure the classes are taught where a working basic can attend the 2 yr program and continue to work. And not allowing them to go straight from basic to medic with no field work experience besides clinical.

My opinion.

The Lady

I have seen good Basics who have been in the field for a long time, who's desire is to become a paramedic one day, but are unable to do so because they have families and just can not afford the time missed from work. The schooling required for a paramedic does not offer classes that work with the schedule of a working basic. These basic are having to lead paramedics out in the field who went straight from basic to medic. (Even with the 2 yr program.)

So if the goal it to better medics out in the field start not only with a 2yr program but with making sure the classes are taught where a working basic can attend the 2 yr program and continue to work. And not allowing them to go straight from basic to medic with no field work experience besides clinical.

My opinion.

The Lady

Thank you, Lady. I most certainly agree.

* Available and affordable class time, not necessarily mandatory time.

* Mandatory required field time before being allowed to apply for the EMT-P program.

* And for heaven's sake, make it worth the person's while. We all know the hours suck and the stresses are incredible and yeah, we do this because we want to and feel good about doing it. But wanting to and feeling good doesn't put beans and bread on the table. Help offset the cons of the EMS field by making the pay and benefits realistic and reasonable. If folks can afford to stay in the field, you'll see more qualified, experience folks remain in the field.

JMHO-YMMV.

We are licensed in California as paramedics but we still get lousy pay. I heard that in Oregon you can get in with a degree in anything plus your paramedic training. It makes sense to have higher educated professionals but until more colleges and universities offer paramedic degrees there might be a problem getting one. For now I believe that having a bachelors and your paramedic education shows you have the maturity and the education to preform well. "training" comes later when you are interning and hired on with your company. The degree idea is good but it will take a few years until there are enough college programs to support a country or even statewide requirement. Remember Paramedicine is fairly new, we are growing and learning but changes, even for the better, must take time.

~Ambo

Yes, although Oregon has a 2 year requirement, I can take a 1 year cert program in Washington state and use my 2 year AAS in Resp. Therapy to work in Oregon.

I'm just glad to see that the majority of people have some manner of sense about them and see that at least part of the solution lays in increasing the educational standards. The rest of you, I only ask that you stay out of our way while we try to get something positive done.

I'm just glad to see that the majority of people have some manner of sense about them and see that at least part of the solution lays in increasing the educational standards. The rest of you, I only ask that you stay out of our way while we try to get something positive done.

Pretty much everyone here has agreed with the creation of strong educational standards. But, as I have mentioned before, why don't we present these 'improved standards' on the forum for folks to look over and comment on rather than simply making the blanket statement 'We need increased educational standards!' and not providing a baseline to work from. Maybe some folk's programs already cover all you think needs to be covered and actually can do it in less than two full years.

Let's look over the pros and cons first of what topics and standards should be considered for the program first, rather then assume that anyone who isn't on your 'Two Years or Else' bandwagon has less than the patient's utmost welfare at heart.

& FWIW: I, for one, prefer to be talked with and to, not talked down to. And my 'manner of sense' is just fine, thank you kindly for asking.