118 members have voted

1. 1.

• good
    • bad

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think because you have a piece of paper says you have an AA or AS makes you a better medic.

Nobody is saying that. "Better" medic is relative, I am sure that what I regard is a "better" medic is different than you, and is different from everyone. Education and graduation at least lets me know that you met some sort of "higher" requirement......or minimal.

I don't think it should be mandatory. I know a lot of medics who do not have a AA or AS that know a whole lot more than the ones that do. That is also the same with most jobs though.

That says little. Stop trying to save a life and get educated. How could you possibly think that in a field as "important" as your's that not having a greater mandatory education than what currently exists is cool? 100+ hours? SOLID EDUCATION. Honestly.....Doctors need what 7+ years? Why shouldn't we need 2....AT A VERY VERY MINIMUM.......

My input for what its worth:

Ive noticed students saying "push for more requirements" etc, but when they get into it they gripe about all the requirements, makes alot of sense.

Now for my opinion-

the letters behind you name mean you have gone through the training and have skills and and knowledge (I hope that you have the ability to retain it). Tests are tough, but there wll always be dummies that will luck through it and get the letters and certs so what should we do?? Make them tougher?? Make them easier?? Make them jump through flaming hoops??

As Steve said more education can open more doors for the majority of EMS, I may be talking out of my ass but if there were higher education requirements we could go from vocational to professional and we would start gaining more respect and recognition for what we do. I think the certification vs. degree debate stemmed from this....................

-Alco

As Steve said more education can open more doors for the majority of EMS, I may be talking out of my ass but if there were higher education requirements we could go from vocational to professional and we would start gaining more respect and recognition for what we do. I think the certification vs. degree debate stemmed from this....................

-Alco

Nicely said Dixie......By the way, congrats on your cert. :P

Where I am you do an 18 month course just to get to BSL level, then you do another 3 year uni-course to get to Paramedic (after around 2-3 years of on the job training), then you can go and do Critical Care which is another 2-3 years. So I don't really think that a 2 year course to get to Paramedic is too harsh.

Besides, all the education in the world only helps you to learn when you get into the field. I mean, I'm still learning new things each and every day.

Here endeth the lesson!

I already have a couple of diplomas/ATAs in various health care fields [RT, LPN/RN, ORT, Combat Medic, ACLS/BCLS though not all of them are current license] and I, for one, don't want to spend *another* two years [on top of what I've already spent getting back into my EMT-B] going for my EMT-P. I can understand that if someone is coming into EMS for the first time that they may well need the additional time, but some of us simply don't want to have to take/retake 'medical terminology' again, or basic A&P again. {Nor do out budgets want us to take them}. As long as there is something in place for us 'Old Fogies' to challenge/CLEP, I'm willing to discuss the possibility. I can already 'tube' [RT], been starting IV's for years [that whole nursing/medic thing], etc. Yeah, a refresher in new techniques and meds is deff. a must, but please don't penalize some of us by making things 'maditory' across the board.

As I said, JMHO - YMMV. I know not all of us are 'Old Fogies' who seem to collect medical certs as a hobby. :wink: