your opinion on a manditory 2 year degree for paramedic

2 year degree, good or bad?  

118 members have voted

1. 1.

• good
    • bad

Ahhhh, that makes much better sense.

Although I may be in the minority, enough higher math to understand that you are learning to follow patterns and rules is a good thing. Algebra, calculus, and statistics are all about being able to follow the rules that have been set, then discovering the pattern that is hidden in the calculation.

If they were more directly applicable, they would not be as useful for the critical thinking aspect.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A simple college physics class has little to do with the advanced quantum physics that you are suggesting.

Apparently it does, because that was on the syllabi that I found during a Google search.

It is when you have enough classes to apply the learned concepts that you can better understand how the human body functions and how to apply the knowledge to the equipment or skills you utilize. .

No argument there. But let's keep it in perspective. Like Dust said, there's nothing wrong with "Math for Meds" type classes for what we're trying to do.

Apparently it does, because that was on the syllabi that I found during a Google search.

No argument there. But let's keep it in perspective. Like Dust said, there's nothing wrong with "Math for Meds" type classes for what we're trying to do.

Check the catalogs of colleges that have a variety of nursing and allied health programs if you want a more accurate description. If is usually call Applied Physics or Survey of Physics for Health professions.

PHY1001 Applied Physics (AA)

Credits/Clock Hours

3 credits (3 lecture hours)

Prerequisites/Corequisites

Prerequisite: MAC 1105~

Course Description

A concentrated, one-semester, applied-physics course; includes essential physical principles for engineering, medical and other technician personnel. An overview of basic physics concepts is presented with minimum emphasis on mathematics. Includes physical mechanics, electricity and magnetism and optics. A grade of C or higher is required for this course to be used as a General Education course.

If you need just a little more than the overview, you can take General Physics 1 and General Physics 2.

For those that require much more, Physics with Calculus 1 and 2.

Then you get into the advanced Physics classes.

A "math for meds" class is great but limited. It does little for understanding hemodynamics or the basics of the respiratory system. Yes, there is a little more than blood goes round and round or air goes in and out. We do have computers that do most of the math for us but every once in awhile you have to understand how the numbers were derived.

Don't EMT and Paramedic classes teach any thing about mechanism of injury anymore (velocity, force, angle) even in the simplest form? That should get one to think there is a little more to the job than elementary math. Has anyone ever noticed how the people lecturing at seminars or authors in journals present their data to support their statements? Do you just look at the pretty pictures or do you have enough background education to actually process the information adequately?

The fact that some Paramedic programs still use Sidney Sinus node to teach the cardiac section speaks volumes about the lacking prerequisites. I still have the greatest respect for Nancy Caroline M.D. and her work. Her text was one of the first and served a great purpose back in the early days. My class did use Dubin to supplement so Sidney was a little easier to take and I was only 19 back then.

If you have very few goals for much past the minimum of EMT or Paramedic, than no, don't prep for the future. If you think somewhere in your 30 year career you might want to expand to another area of healthcare than yes prepare with some solid classes. If there is even a remote possibility that EMS might achieve professional ranking with the other professions, prepare for it. It almost happened 30 years ago when modern EMS was still new and motivated. But, it may take another 30 years if the attitudes about "minimal" education continues. EMS can no long claim being a young profession as an excuse. And, you know what they say as someone or something ages, it becomes more difficult to change.

RTs started to get their Associates degree long before it became mandatory because that was the plan laid out for the profession by their accreditation standards, national testing and professional organizations. The curtain is closing for the RTs that didn't pay attention to the standards that were going to be enforced. Of course, those that get booted from their hospital positions can probably pick up a PDQ Paramedic course since they may have some of the "skills" mastered already and will have something in common with their new co-workers by not having the college degree.

There may also be quite a few people that became Paramedics because they didn't pass or had no desire to the prerequisites for nursing and other allied health programs. Hope was not lost when they heard the commercial for "do all this in just a few months'. When these programs are presented as "you'll be just like a doctor and better than a nurse", the attitude is fostered.

More training the better.

time to bring the profession in line with increasing public needs and expectations.

At my station the credential is a three week course. Some folks lack even that and only drive.

I spent an extra $10000 and 600 hours on my own training but only make $1.70 more.