Indiana Peoples....

Has anyone been trained on the new SMART Triage system yet?

Did your agency conduct the training?

Did your instructor go to a DHS train the trainer course? How did it go?

How do you like the system?

"New"????

We were utilizing SMART Triage in Florida since 2002-03 or so...maybe sooner but I am sure it was one of those years.

Maybe this is where my ignorance may permeate but I thought it was the standard of care in the US and the only system taught these days...

Wow...so what have you guys been using or doing in the last 5 to 6 years or so...and I ask this in sincerity, why did it take so long to reach you and why did you not hear of this prior to it being mandated?

What are they teaching in schools and con ed?

Not picking on ya mate, but these are questions that need to be asked if we are to improve the overall education as there are many others in the same situation as you most likely.

Well crapskies. Never heard of it and I'm helping to teach first aid with an emphasis on triage to some public safety cadets down in Denver this weekend.

Gonna have to stick to START since it's all I know... and I don't like how I couldn't see how to actually do the Sacco Triage Method on the website there... I see that it's objective and cooler and stats back it up, but HTF does it work?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Here's the card that the provider uses for guidelines:

http://www.jumpstarttriage.com/uploads/Sac...08_v1_front.pdf

http://www.jumpstarttriage.com/uploads/Sac...ard_8_08_v1.pdf

That pretty well explains the triage process itself. It takes about fifteen seconds longer to perform than START, but is more specific. And evaluation of the results are a little more involved for the triage officer. It's not for your basic four to six victim MVA were people typically freak out. It's more for larger incidents. Like any system, it has to be practised and reviewed regularly in order for it to stay fresh in your head. But with a triage card, any competent medic should be able to practise it even without familiarity.

I had hoped to find a good pic of the Sacco triage tag online, but the only one is small and hard to see. I have several, but no scanner, unfortunately. It has several very cool features, including the ability to revise a patient's score, which you can't do with a METTAG, where the tabs are torn off. Multiple number and bar coded stickers also allow for each tag to be accounted for by the triage officer so no patients are overlooked, and the disposition of each can be tracked.

1129052348425_Figure1TriageTag.jpg

hmm brent as your fellow Indiana resident I was first taught START as a first responder in 05. In my EMT class we also received START triage training and certification. My service hasnt received any special kits or equipment for it though.