What makes cars explode?

Michael

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not forget about the magnesium engine blocks that used to be in VW's and Ford Exploders! Magnesium reacts violently with water, and it took awhile for the fire departments around here to figure out why the fire just wouldn't go out with a hand line. Eventually someone figured it out and tried using a class "D" extinguisher, it worked perfectly.

VW engine fires do go out with water. It may take awhile, but it does work.

• 2 weeks later...

Cars rarely explode if they do catch on fire the fire typically starts in the engine compartment. MVA caused fires can result from a wide variety of causes but the most dynamic ones are from ruptured fuel tanks. The physics of getting a explosion require numerous safety systems to fail and a lot of bad luck all on the same day. That being said there are some very dangerous components on a vehicle involved in a accident. Airbags for starters are a real gasser they not always or only deploy on impact but some models can deploy afterwards ( it is meant to protect against roll over injuries. If these devices have not actuated they stand poised to release at a unknown time on the first responders involved in the incident. And contrary to popular belief they are not deactivated with battery separation from the vehicle. With side curtain, driver and passenger airbags to contend with it is best to become apprised of vehicle designs and technology. A good safety margin to stay away from air bags is as follows: side curtains 8", driver 14", passenger 20". So how the hell do you work with those requirements (very carefully). Manufactures need to be made accountable for the safety of first responders in their equipment. Know the new Hybrid vehicles carry their own hazards including high voltage, large battery's full of acid. And lets not forget all the compressed charges used on a vehicle including bumpers, seat belt pretensioners, hatchback supports and the like. Fire and damage can make all of these devices fail in some exciting and dangerous ways. Another saftey concern on a MVA is if they do catch on fire the toxic levels of the gases released. You can assume that you loss 3 years of your life span with each breath you take of those fumes. Hopefully this will reduce the complacencey we tend to get into on MVA's tech is changing and we need to stay current with it.

It takes three things for something to burn an ignition source, a source of oxygen, and continued combustible material - you deprive a fire of any one of those things, it's done for.

Also lone - that's awesome video - right in my old neighborhood ! Gotta love it

BTW, I hear lays potato chips burn quite well - haven't tried it but rumor has it....

It takes three things for something to burn an ignition source, a source of oxygen, and continued combustible material - you deprive a fire of any one of those things, it's done for.

Also lone - that's awesome video - right in my old neighborhood ! Gotta love it

BTW, I hear lays potato chips burn quite well - haven't tried it but rumor has it....

Try a frito its a good fire starter done it it worked well

Considering that most chips, no matter what the variety, are cooked in oil/grease, that is no surprise.

I wonder if the camping gear companies know this, for their fire starter supplies?

I have pictures of a man with a big grin and a gas can running away from a burning car. He did this about 20 years ago just to see if it would explode and nope it didn't. FYI it was his own junker that he tried to blow up. :P