Medic among those killed when Newfoundland oil chopper crashed into sea

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - The fuselage of a downed helicopter that claimed the lives of 17 is lying on its side on the silt and gravel of the Atlantic Ocean floor, but it is largely intact, investigators said Saturday. The probe into the crash took a step forward as officials confirmed they found the Sikorsky S-92, owned by Cougar Helicopters, and recovered various debris, which included parts of the chopper and personal belongings. After wading through deep, murky waters, a remote-controlled camera confirmed they had found the fuselage. Mike Cunningham, lead investigator with the Transportation Safety Board, said investigators hope that same camera will determine whether any bodies are still inside the helicopter. "It's certainly quite clear how important it is to (their families) and it's just as important to us," Cunningham said.

Police released a partial list of the dead, who represented the white and blue-collar workers from Newfoundland's offshore oil industry. One was a drill hand, another was a medic. "We see this accident as something that we're all in together," said Hank Williams, Cougar's base operations manager. "We're hurting." The helicopter crashed Thursday with 18 on board as it ferried workers to two of the province's offshore oil platforms, located about 350 kilometres east of this port city. The lone survivor, Robert Decker, was in the Health Sciences Centre in St. John's in critical but stable condition."We continue to pray for his full recovery and have complete trust in his medical team," his family said in a statement. "To the family of Robert's co-workers and friends, you are in our every thought. Since our world changed on Thursday morning, there hasn't been an hour pass or a prayer said that hasn't included you. We feel your loss, we share many of your questions but at this point we have no more answers than you." The only body recovered so far was that of Allison Maher, 26, from the small Newfoundland town of Aquaforte. Investigators are hoping to begin lifting the wreckage on Monday or Tuesday by luring straps through the openings of the fuselage and hoisting it aboard an offshore supply vessel. "We want to ideally bring everything up in one piece," Cunningham said. Officials said they have recovered pieces of the helicopter, including doors and the interior bulkhead.

The helicopter is believed to be sitting 120 to 150 metres below the ocean's surface. After the wreckage is pulled from the ocean floor, it will be brought back to St. John's for further investigation. Investigators would remove the data recorders for a thorough inspection, Cunningham said. "We look at everything through a microscope," he said.Transport Canada's aviation database had reported the pilot of the helicopter declared a mayday "due to a main gearbox oil pressure problem." The gearbox is located on the top of the fuselage under the main rotor head and serves as a link between the engines and transmission. "It is like many components on an aircraft. It's very important," said Charles Laurence, another Transportation Safety Board investigator. "There's no backup system for a gearbox." Cunningham said the gearbox would be examined as the investigation unfolds. "We totally dissect everything that we can and certainly that is going to be an area that will be examined," he said. So far, investigators have retrieved the upper and lower parts of the main entrance door, the aft cargo door and one of the emergency exit doors, which is still intact. The lower part of the main entrance door was locked, but its upper part was in an open position, Cunningham said. All aircraft have been restricted from flying within a 20-kilometre radius of the crash site.

A partial list of victims in Thursday's helicopter crash off N.L. Here is a partial list of names of the 17 people who are presumed dead in Thursday's helicopter crash off Newfoundland and Labrador as released by the RCMP. Only one person has been confirmed dead by the RCMP:

Peter Breen, 55, St. John's, N.L.

Gary Corbett, 46, Conception Bay South, N.L.

Wade Drake, 42, Fortune, N.L.

Wade Duggan, 32, Witless Bay, N.L.

Colin Henley, 38, St. John's, N.L.

Ken MacRae, 47, Greenwood, N.S.

Derrick Mullowney, 51, Bay Bulls, N.L.

Burch Nash, 44, Fortune, N.L.

Paul Pike, 49, Bay Roberts, N.L.

Allison Maher, 26, Aquaforte, N.L., confirmed deceased.

Tim Lanouette, 48, Comox, B.C., first officer.

Thomas Anyll, 46, Langley, B.C.

The risks involved in remote duty -- even in a non-combat setting -- cannot be overstated. There is a reason why we are paid so well. It's serious business with serious consequences.

Godspeed to our brother.

As you may know Dust, I have many friends that work in very remote deployments. I have contacted a friend with Cougar (another medic/ crew chief) but to my best knowledge the medic has yet to be identified ... but you are absolutely correct my very good friend, the issue that I find so hard to swallow is Remote Medics are really not recognised for their contributions to the ever evolving world of EMS, many times they are far more advanced and experianced than working on a "Power Truck" downtown anywhere, a remote medic works without a partner, often hours or even days from a Hospital, self reliant and moreover have great pride in what they do.

The risks involved in remote duty -- even in a non-combat setting -- cannot be overstated.

HIGH FLIGHT

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.