Finals and Nerves

BAM123

So it's finals week for my EMT-B class and I feel the anxiety and nerves bearing down on me. Does anyone care to share their ways of calming down their stress levels before the big test? I feel pretty good about everything I've learned and I'm comfortable with all my classmates, but still, I can't help but worry worry worry. When in doubt: A, B, C, Control bleeding, Treat for shock, right?

Without going into a whole 'back and forth' about your GPA, weak areas, etc; let me just say this:

The first thing you need to do is RELAX!

Get a good night's sleep the night before the test, and don't touch the books that night. If you're at the point of taking your finals, you should already know this stuff inside and out by now! Trying to 'cram' the night before the test will only overload your brain, and you'll end up confusing your 'information'.

Next, on the day of the test, do NOT 'read more into the question than is there'! I can't tell you how many people have screwed themselves by trying to figure out what the question 'might be asking'! All the information you need should be in the narrative, take that, and ONLY that to form your answers.

Rely on your education to this point! There's no sense in trying to do things a 'different way' than you've been doing up to this point. A 'new method' will only screw up your 'routine' and you'll end up missing something.

Don't sweat the medium of the testing! I've watched many people in the City go through a 'mental meltdown' because the written portion of the test was CBT (Computer Based Testing). HOW the test is administered is irrelevant! It will be THE SAME INFORMATION whether it's CBT or paper!

After testing, don't get into that 'what did you get for question 37?'

'What do you think they meant by ______________?'

All that's going to do is make you second guess your answers and question your knowledge. This will lead to 'undue and unnecessary stress' while waiting for your test results to be posted!

I hope this helps you! Good luck!

LS

Sit next to the smart kid!! :jump:

Seriously, don't cram, just go through your notes.

Eat a good breakfast.

Answer all the questions you are 100% on first and skip over the others.

Figure out what your grade would be if you missed all the ones you don't know. This may help you relax, or freak you out more. It usually helped me.

As you go through the ones you aren't sure of, don't read to much into it as the above poster stated.

Cancel out the obviously wrong answer. Try and think of the answer as they want it, not some little trick or tidbit that was told to you. Stick to the book, sometimes us street medics give the wrong info for a test.

I would search online for study tools, there are pleanty out there. Your book may even have an online resource, USE IT.

Stick to the basics.

If you are completely unsure, "C" is the most common answer.

After you finish, write down as many questions as you can remember. This may help if you do fail and have to do a retake. Lets hope you don't need it, but the same questions will probably appear.

Good luck, these may not be the best tips, but they always helped me. I mean in all honesty, the tests are a poor judge of your knowledge. You could know the information like the back of your hand and be confused by the wording of the question.

I make sure I have plenty of rest, eat right, and practice calming breathing techniques. (Sex does wonders too- honest fact).

Good luck!

Very true! Just relax! Rest, rest, rest! Don't study the night before, or even a couple days before. No sense in trying to cram any more info in there, it will only add more stress. Go for a nice walk or something. Eat a nice meal the day of the test, it helps! Also, do not over think things! Go with what you were taught, answers the questions based ONLY ON WHAT INFO THE QUESTION GIVES YOU. A lot of people get into the habit of reading a question and think "well, what if.. but maybe if this or what about this...". Over thinking will get you in trouble.

and yea, sex is a great stress reliever, just do it before the test ;) and again after to celebrate :D

Excellent advice from you all, I'll be sure not to cram. And hopefully get some lovin the night before!

This line of advice is geared more towards the written, but my actual intent was getting advice for the practical exams. We have to go through 4 scenarios; Major trauma in teams of 4, Minor trauma 2, Major medical 2, and minor medical 2 person teams. I'm very much more stressed about this than the written. Lately I've been forgetting simple things like getting 2nd sets of vitals, upgrading oxygen as needed, and so on.

Thanks for the great advice so far and I'll appreciate whatever else you guys can tell me. (i test this thurs pm btw)

I make sure I have plenty of rest, eat right, and practice calming breathing techniques. (Sex does wonders too- honest fact).

Good luck!

Does this mean you're volunteering to help me pass my tests?

:hug::hug:

:devil::devil::devil:

:beer::beer:

:icecream::icecream: