NYC EMT Charged With Abandonment

Dustdevil

The abandonment issue is bad enough that he left without getting a signature (which leads me to believe he didn't do a proper transfer of care). But to FORGE a signature - that is unacceptable.

Exactly. And that is black and white. Whether he did everything else by the book, and in the patient's best interest or not, he still falsified an official document. No warnings on that. You're out, and most likely criminally charged.

Exactly. And that is black and white. Whether he did everything else by the book, and in the patient's best interest or not, he still falsified an official document. No warnings on that. You're out, and most likely criminally charged.

If its not written down, it didn't happen....at least that's what I was taught. If he can not prove he turned care over to an equal or higher medical professional then he neglected his job. In some cases Forgery is a felony so he would most likely be out of the job because most places wont employ you if you have a felony charge.

I can't imagine what he was thinking in terms of justification for his actions.

Here are some questions that come to mind:

How busy was the er?

How long had he been waiting?

What was so important that he felt that his actions were appropiate?

Not that the answers to any of these questions will ever make his actions right, but it would be nice to know.

No matter how busy the pediatric ER is why would you leave a child unattended

If he was waiting more than 30min a Update to dispatch and a Supervisor would have been sent

It was new years eve? think about it!

No matter what he was thinking, you never leave a pt. I surely hope that the state will permently revoke his cert and he never works in ems again. Where I work you have to go into the office and wait until they give you the report and release you.+

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.