NJ EMS Assclowns Caught On Tape

Dustdevil

Then the question is, does "rendered" apply to care AND conduct or just care? Can you render conduct like you render care?

Not sure. But I am sure they shouldn't lose their medical certification based on something that had nothing to do with medicine, nor the ethics or morals of medicine. It seems that the spirit of the passages you posted involved hurting, or even disappointing patients. I don't see where they intended for people to lose their certs based on anything someone might consider foolish.

Should you lose your certs for cheating on your spouse?

When it's discovered that you've not provided realistic amounts of life insurance to care for your family if you're killed?

When it's discovered that you daisy chained your extension cords to run all of your Christmas lights?

I believe all of these things to be much more foolish than sliding around an empty parking lot in the snow, something that everyone that's ever lived in snow country has done.

So do we also call for the certs of anyone doing any number of foolish, non medical, non patient contact types of things?

Dwayne

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like, though I'm not going to take the time to look it up, that not so long ago many of these same people outraged in this thread were arguing that we should let these people carry guns if they chose to, right?

Right. But none of us argued that those armed medics should be having quick draw competitions on a public street in between runs. That would be the proper analogy to this current discussion. Your analogy says that we shouldn't have ambulances because someone might use them to burn out in a parking lot.

Should you lose your certs for cheating on your spouse?

If infidelity is a crime in your state, then yes. If not, then no.

Having know alot of the Squad Members for many years I know that while the individuals that did this lacked some foresight. The people that make up the Squad are a professional and well trained group. And while I don't condone what was done I reserve judgement till all is said and done. I do not hold the actions of some against the great work and dedication of the Squad as a whole.

Edited by BUMPEMT

They are in a service car so the public should have right to expect professionalism even from volunteers.

I thought Lakewood EMS was paid, rather than volunteer. It's not a first aid or rescue squad.

Edited by 4cmk6

ok lets not sugar coat this.............plain and simple what was done was STUPID plain and simple there is no arguing this......no debating it. they did not use proper judgement PERIOD! and actions need reactions....if nothing happends to them them they got lucky. maybe another time when the truck flips or someone gets hurt they will think about it....by then its too late. bad decision bad foresight poor judgement....stupid. terminate them.

my .02 cents worth

http://app.com/article/20090319/NEWS/90319152

LAKEWOOD — Amid a tide of public anger over a video showing township EMS workers doing doughnuts in the snow with their emergency vehicles, Mayor Robert W. Singer tried to inject a practical tone Thursday, saying termination was too severe a penalty that would never hold up in a civil service hearing.

Advertisement

"I understand the frustration people have today. This is taxpayer money, these are public employees," Singer said at Thursday's committee meeting. "But we have to understand that the punishment has to fit the crime. Let's not overreact to things."

The EMS workers -- two women and a man -- were on duty at the time. Their names have not been released.

The EMS manager and township attorneys will in the next few days decide on a punishment for the employees, which falls under personnel and won't be made public, Singer said.

The mayor added that the employees have a right to appeal the decision.

The Internet video, posted on the Web site www.streetfire.net, shows three EMS workers skidding an ambulance and squad car in the snow in the parking lot of the Lakewood BlueClaws stadium.

"No one was hurt, none of the vehicles were damaged and the individuals have no priors," Singer said. "Those put together, there's no way you could fire those people."

At least one resident shared the mayor's views.

"They made a mistake; think about it, we all make mistakes," John Newman, 75, said at the meeting. "Let's give these guys a break. They've done a lot of good for this community."

Yeah, and there is such a serious shortage of EMT basics looking for a paying 911 job in New Jersey that it would be so hard to replace these heroes.

[/sarcasm]

This is exactly why unions suck. It only institutionalises stupidity, and makes it impossible to get rid of the lame players.

From all the comments I was expecting something much more significant from that video. Folks sure do get riled up about stuff easy. Sure I think you could make an argument that this display was unprofessional in a fairly public place. But unsafe? Not really. Damaging to the public equipment? Doubt it. Lucky they didn't flip it? Come on. Pull their certs? What?

I was an EMS supervisor for five years and I encouraged crews to drift in the snow. I do think it's helpful to learn where the vehicle looses control and how to correct it. And yes, while you're doing it, it is fun and you do grin from ear to ear. If I came across this scene as the supervisor I think I'd say, hey guys, let's take this somewhere else. This would barely register on my care meter.

I'm glad to see the city managers are taking a resonable approach to this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.