Busiest service in the States

Anyone know what the busiest department or service in the States is?

Now, I'm not talking based on number of runs per year, so it's not necessarily NYC.

Based on Unit Hour Utilization (UHU), which is the portion of time an ambulance is actively involved in a call. So while NYC answers over 1 million calls a year, they have may have a reasonable UHU because they have so many units (I'm not sure what their actual UHU is).

So the busiest service would have a very high UHU because they have a high call volume in comparison to the number of units in service.

Keep in mind variations, meaning City X may have 2 units in service, Unit A is downtown operating at a UHU of .80 while unit B is in the rural section operating at a UHU of .10

Take the overall average of the department. Do you know yours?

A standard that many departments use is .42

Edited by donedeal

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out Miami Dade FD.

We are busy here in Lee County but mostly due to slow offload and seasonal visitors. We run 75,000/year between 30 units. Not uncommon to spend 1 to 3 hours waiting for an offload at one of our hospitals. If you run over 10 calls in one shift (24 hours) here, you were busy. I'd research all the big cities if you are really looking to find this info. I'm pretty sure NY is going to be your busiest though, not exactly sure how many different agencies cover NYC.

While not trying to sound off for FDNY EMS, as I usually do, that figure is probably closer to one point 3 million calls a year. However, with the figuring mentioned in the OP, I really don't know (and I was always horrible in math.)

Don't know what our number was, but I as far as time actually doing something (calls, move-up to cover another area, and holding walls), was pretty daily occurrence to start shift at 7AM, first call 7:30AM....run straight without break until 8PM... little downtime until 10PM...then run almost all night.

But like I said a LOT of it was move-ups and waiting to offload patients.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.