Another reason to be glad you live where you do

Michael

So why is it Octo-mom The Useless has a website for donations and this lady is getting the shaft. Oh, that's right. We traded our common sense and morals for an iPhone and an X-box.

If she starts a fundraiser to get the 25k, I'm in for at least $20.

So why is it Octo-mom The Useless has a website for donations and this lady is getting the shaft. Oh, that's right. We traded our common sense and morals for an iPhone and an X-box.

I didn't get my xbox :( oh right.. I still have my morals.

I was watching this medical show, some lady in China who was like 10ft tall and had all kinds of health problems. No one wanted to help her, no one lifted a finger to do anything. Finally someone looks at her in the hospital, but sends her home with vitamins. Problem was, no one wanted to pay for anything to help her. She was poor from a poor family.

Then I hear later, she was getting all kinds of help from American docs, free of charge. go figure huh?

Amen brother. I'm all for the eye for an eye thing. I bet it would stop a lot of the craziness here in the States. Hurt someone, get hurt. Kill and be killed. Rapist and pedophiles get their peckers cut off. Steal something and work for who you stole it from till it's paid for.

Does anyone think that won't work? If so, why?

Amen brother. I'm all for the eye for an eye thing. I bet it would stop a lot of the craziness here in the States. Hurt someone, get hurt. Kill and be killed. Rapist and pedophiles get their peckers cut off. Steal something and work for who you stole it from till it's paid for.

Theft should have some harsher consequences. They used to cut your hand off for it.

I'm all for the eye for an eye thing. I bet it would stop a lot of the craziness here in the States. Hurt someone, get hurt. Kill and be killed. Rapist and pedophiles get their peckers cut off. Steal something and work for who you stole it from till it's paid for.

I like the restitution part of your formula, and I would extend it to every class of wrongdoing I can think of. Seems more constructive that vengeance.

As for revenge, do you find less craziness in Iran than here?

Also, a rapist or pedophile who fears castration may have a greater incentive to kill his victims and witnesses in order to avoid capture/conviction.

Also, juries that find penalties too harsh will refrain from convicting. That's what's what I'm told happened under the ancient Greek lawgiver nicknamed Draco (= "The Dragon," from which we get the phrase "draconian punishment"), whose statutes mandated penalties juries found excessive: Criminals could count on going free because they knew juries wouldn't want them executed for stealing.

Also, compensating victims of wrongful convictions is difficult when the sentence was death or dismemberment.

Those are a few of the problems I see. It's hard to appeal the Law of Unintended Consequences.