EMS Recruiters

Would you listen to an EMS recruiter ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, as long as they feed me, I will listen to anything
    • Yes, I would like to explorer my oppurtunities
    • No, it would be a waste of time
    • No, but I would take the free food..

O.K. as most of you are aware there is a Paramedic shortage.. (I have seen this in the early 90's, like the nursing shortage it comes in waves or cycles.) My point is I going to propose to my administrator of having a Paramedic recruiter.. I did this several years ago, & appeared somewhat effective, I just would like your input. This would be similar to the nurse recruiters that visit classes, & gives propaganda.. such as taking them out to dinner or feeding the class, with a little talk about the service, benefits, etc..& maybe some trinket gifts .. & nice door prize. .. What ya think ?

Thanks,

Ridryder 911

We do this all the time around here. Big companies like AMR come into the class room and tell everyone how great their company is and the educational advancement's you could get there. blah blah blah

But yes i say have someone with a good head on their shoulder's and knows what their talking about do the recruiting.

MedFire

EMS Recruiters are a good idea, as long as they are honest, and dont simply wave the glory flag. a good recruiter will discuss all the aspects of the career, not just the good stuff, but things like the continual boredome, and all that rot.

Better than recruiters are providers who seek out those who they feel could do the job. I regularly asses people i meet, the main thing i look for is compassion, that and a little brain power and they will thrive in this proffession, Ive recruited dozens myself into classes, and for the most part, the classes have weeded out those i was wrong about.

Keep a running list of who is putting on what classes where, the costs, the time commitments, so you can talk people into this. recruiters will only fill classes with bodies, providers can fill ambulances with EMTs

when I was doing my EMT course an officer from on of the health boards came in and offered a job to anyone who wanted one. It was at the other end of the country though. He got several EMT's that way. On a side note one of the guys who went to work for him left and joined the London Amb. Service and was at the scene of the bus bombing two weeks ago.

I have several friends who joined the Armed Forces right out of High School because they "could find anything better to do." Some of the skinniest, weakest guys I know joined the Marines because of Recruiters! I think a Recruiter for your local EMS in high School do some good. They can come and talk to classes, site at a table all set up for him during the lunches, things like that, just like the Military does. I'm sure you'd get plenty of students who are looking at the Military, but don't want to leave home, or looking for a job to get them through college that doesn't involve Iraq, or who are really unsure what they want to do yeah, and sign up out of interest.

Yeah, Rid, if your EMS can offer to pay for the training and such, I'm sure you would have plenty of kids join up right out of high School!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.