Lifepak 15

Really? There are a few things that I like about the Lifepak more than the MRX, but overall I'd prefer the MRX. What issues do you have with it?

Mrmeaner-

Physio is all we've ever used so I'll admit to having a bit of a knowledge deficit about the MRX. Can you enlighten me as to what you think makes the MRX superior to the LP12.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrmeaner-

Physio is all we've ever used so I'll admit to having a bit of a knowledge deficit about the MRX. Can you enlighten me as to what you think makes the MRX superior to the LP12.

I have used all kinds. I prefer the LP12 over the MRX, but that is my personal choice. Do not get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with the Phillips, I just like the LP better.

I hate the Zolls with a passion! I really hated our old HP Code Master. That thing would read a NSR on the bench seat! ;)

oiy k

i ahve used the physio, and the mrx compliments of deathstar (medstar ft worth). the physio to me just seems to work better, the mrx just didnt do it for me i found my self saying "screw it" trying to get info inputed, the screen to me works better and just seems to be more "carry friendly"

now thats not to say that ooooooooooh a 15 omg i have to have one..............NO! the 15 looks like a yuppy giddy version of a 12......so what ok not thrilled with the phillips the zoll left me lifeless lp 10 is a basic brick and the 11 is eh the 20 cute for the er the 12 just struck me can operate it with my eyes closed............wait where that come from????? lol seriously the 12 just works for me thats just me people have different views and tastes and likes. hey we are all not the same so hey to each their own. just hate the mrx is all.

oh and no thats not a check....its ur wallet i picked from you LOL!!!!!!!!!

Mrmeaner-

A big thing for me is the display. I know color displays may be viewed as unnecessary, but the display on the MRX beats the hell out of the dirty yellow display from the Lifepak's. It takes nearly no time to recognize the waveform or data point you are looking for whereas you have to double check what you're looking at on the Lifepak due to the mono color display.

The MRX connectors also stay attached to the monitor much better. I've had specific issues with the Lifepak's ECG cable coming unplugged. Maybe it was just worn out. Also the ECG cables on the MRX are much longer than on the Lifepak. The 12-lead plug is better on the Lifepak, however because of a better connection and the fact that it doesn't start out as a 3 lead like the MRX does.

As far as controls, I don't think one is really superior to the other. The MRX has a quicker control for energy settings, but until you learn the monitor well, you can spend a lot of time looking for a specific function. The Lifepak has a simpler menu and I believe more options for descriptions for manual time stamps. The dial for the options works well as long as the ride isn't bumpy. Very easy to press the button/dial in by accident. The buttons on the Lifepak could use a little more tactile response but I believe that is a longevity issue. I think a good setup would be a combination of the two, like two dials and about 6 buttons.

B/P and SPO2 monitoring are a crap shoot in either case. For anyone who I am really interested in watching their SPO2, I use the disposable sensors for either monitor. B/P, well, they're both machines. Take the reading with a few grains of salt unless the patient is completely still. Then only a couple grains of salt are necessary.

ETCO2 monitoring is something I haven't had to do very often with the Lifepak as I haven't done a vent transport with a Lifepak. Usually the pt. is newly intubated (within minutes) so the capnography isn't being utilized through the monitor. The MRX has been very dependable on capnography, but I don't really have an accurate comparison between the two monitors.

The MRX is nicer for charging as you don't need to bring the charging center with you if you are changing rigs. With the MRX you only have to bring the basic cord.

I don't think either monitor has a decent pouch system. It's a minor complaint, but it is a daily issue.

That's all the complaining I can think of. :D

Does anyone have any idea when the LP15 will be approved by the FDA?

I was told by the salesman no later than February and that Physio had done all of the things asked by the FDA.

Something just doesnt add up here as to why it is taking so long to get approval. I know they have had the past problems with the FDA...must still be lingering on.

We arent going to pay $30,000.00 for a monitor anyway if that is what it is going to cost.

Currently use the MRX over here. No complaints actually. The battery life is especially impressive. I have completed flights that were just over five hours long with continuous pulse oximetry, cardiac monitoring, and Q 15 minute vital signs on one battery.

Take care,

chbare.

Physio Control have made some good equipment in the past (Lifepak 5 and 10), but in my opinion they lost the plot from Lifepak 12 onwards and the new Lifepak 15 isn't much of an improvement for the added cost.

They seem to enjoy making obtuse and heavy devices with poor displays which obviously have no place in the EMS or pre-hospital field.

The Philips MRX is far superior in many aspects and I too have become a Philips convert after seeing what their equipment has to offer.

Helimedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.