Put a fork in me, I'm done.

Annie is right this happens in every profession and it does drag us down. But Herbie you are a smart man you can raise above this and maybe show them the right way. We are all here for you if you need to vent I am just a pm away my friend.

What a great thread. I dig hearing everyones take on this.

Nothing helped me recognize how great my job was quite like getting a non-EMS job. I don't think it's such a bad idea to go looking for something non-EMS related. You may find your happiness and never look back. If you do come back you'll have a great deal more clarity on why you do your job.

I had "put a fork in me" moments like these. Until I spent 9 months in sales. After I returned, I understood exactly why I was born to be a paramedic. I understod what Crotchity was talking about when he said "take care of your patients and go home." If you want to know why you need this job, start not doing this job. It will give you great clarity on what's important.

It will also give you a greater sense of control knowing you have a choice to show up to work or not. It's always been up to you.

Good luck.

Thanks all. It was a rough week, and I needed to vent.

I know I need a break off the box, but I can't do it just yet. I'm waiting to hear from another job opportunity; it tests in June and is something I've always wanted to try.

I spent the weekend with the woman. We went into the mosh pit together at a Dropkick Murphys concert (Yes, I was in kilt), and got some aggression out. It helps.

It helps having a support system here. Like I said, I'm going through a rough spot; however, I'm still going to treat my patients with respect and do the right thing.

Expanding on ruff's point. Remember when you were 10 years old; if you wanted to fight someone, all you had to say was "your momma _____________________" then the fight was on. There was no thinking involved, if they talked about your momma, you hit them. Now at age 30, if someone you do not know talks about your momma, I hope you have the intelligence and maturity to not take an automatic swing at someone.

The trivial stuff you are talking about is the same thing -- YOU ARE CHOOSING TO LET IT BOTHER YOU. And by doing so, you are giving the losers control over your life for some portion of each day. Dont give them that power. I used to be that way:

7:00 Shift change time, let's check the truck.

7:01 Truck not washed -- B/P 140/90

7:02 Trash can full -- B/P 150/98

7:03 Jump bag rearranged B/P 160/98

7:04 Sheet on stretcher dirty B/P 170/100

But i learned, just because they pull your string, doesnt mean you have to dance like a puppet. Stop dancing.

Pre hospital care is often a thankless, take us for granted job. It makes it alot easier to do this job when we hear a thankyou or good job once in awhile. What keeps me likeing the job is knowing that we are needed and doing a good thing by helping others when they need it most.

• 5 months later...

I have felt the same way for a while. I have also acquired IBS, and the irratic sleep and diet that all too often come with this career, has a profound effect. I have considered trying to move to a 12 hour rotation instead of a 24 hour rotation, but those slots seem to be filled and not opening anytime soon. As far as getting away from EMS, finding a comprable salary is tough, and I am now the primary income in my household. This somewhat limits what I can do. I really need to stay in the 40K range, and right now with the current state of the economy, its even tougher.

I am planning on going to school for anthropology next fall, but to be able to do much in that field, at least a masters degree is needed, and that will take at least 7 years. 7 more years, and my GI tract will probably be in little daisy chained knots.

Any suggestions on a job?

• 5 weeks later...

Roll with the punches, even though on some days you get more punches. Find a HEALTHY out, take it when you need it be it another job, hobby, whatever. You may not be able to change the whole world, however it can change you. In turn, you can change your own. You will in your own time figure out what is best for you.

I have felt the same way for a while. I have also acquired IBS, and the irratic sleep and diet that all too often come with this career, has a profound effect. I have considered trying to move to a 12 hour rotation instead of a 24 hour rotation, but those slots seem to be filled and not opening anytime soon. As far as getting away from EMS, finding a comprable salary is tough, and I am now the primary income in my household. This somewhat limits what I can do. I really need to stay in the 40K range, and right now with the current state of the economy, its even tougher.

I am planning on going to school for anthropology next fall, but to be able to do much in that field, at least a masters degree is needed, and that will take at least 7 years. 7 more years, and my GI tract will probably be in little daisy chained knots.

Any suggestions on a job?

Gastroenterologist? :ph34r:

Edited by Siffaliss
  • Like 2

7:00 Shift change time, let's check the truck.

7:01 Truck not washed -- B/P 140/90

7:02 Trash can full -- B/P 150/98

7:03 Jump bag rearranged B/P 160/98

7:04 Sheet on stretcher dirty B/P 170/100

But i learned, just because they pull your string, doesnt mean you have to dance like a puppet. Stop dancing.

Takes you 4mins to look at all of that? Or do you check your pressure in between each? :P

But yea, that crap irritates mes like crazy. Almost as bad as people tucking in their shirts without a belt! ARGH!!!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.