This video cannot be unwatched

fiznat

Field treatment??

Actually, a valid question. Obviously, hemorrhage will be a primary concern. Treating this patient in the field will be rather difficult and hemorrhage control could be a problem if serious bleeding occurs. In addition, safety will be problematic as you are dealing with sharp glass and body fluids. This patient is most likely in a high risk category for having blood born diseases.

Take care,

chbare.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, a valid question. Obviously, hemorrhage will be a primary concern. Treating this patient in the field will be rather difficult and hemorrhage control could be a problem if serious bleeding occurs. In addition, safety will be problematic as you are dealing with sharp glass and body fluids. This patient is most likely in a high risk category for having blood born diseases.

Take care,

chbare.

Perhaps one of the resident EMT-Doctors (ha ha) could suggest a field treatment, should we come upon a victim who "accidentally" sat on a pickle jar? Or is this one of those gray areas in prehospital care that we have to figure out on our own?

Not much we can do in the pre-hospital setting I suspect. Control external hemorrhage, patient positioning, supportive care, and rapid transport.

I have had a few cases that were somewhat similar. I Remember caring for a patient who perforated their rectum/colon with a round stick that had a screw attached to the end. The patient was hemodynamically stable and required the usual pre-surgical prep work. Another patient managed to perforate their rectum/colon with a finger while attempting digital removal of hard fecal matter. This patient presented in acute distress. Altered hemodynamics, in great pain, with minimal external bleeding however. The other similar case was in Afghanistan where a guy took a 7.62*39 round to the pelvis. Obviously, there was heavy bleeding that simply could not be completely controlled. Quick Clot was used without any effect. Direct pressure was applied and a level of quasi hemostasis was achieved. The team opted not to do a 5 hour flight to Dubai, and rather divert to a military hospital about an hour away. Hemostasis was achieved along with blood product administration, then the patient was evacuated to Dubai.

Take care,

chbare.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to work in a busy ER in a predominantly gay area. I've seen my share of foreign objects inserted in various orifices, but I have NEVER seen it as it was happening. I took the initial warning as a challenge, but now I cannot shake that image.

All I can say is- oh my gawd.

The physical damage caused here would be far easier to fix than the psychological issues this guy clearly had to attempt this in the first place. I can only imagine the similar stunts he has tried in the past...

Okay before you click on this URL, I want to express that the video contained inside really and truly cannot be un-watched. It is most definitely not safe for work (NSFW!), children, or the squeamish. If you feel you can handle it, though, please do go ahead:

www.glassass.com

gonna take a long time to get that out of my head.....what an idiot.

How would a dispatcher code this??? Priority one, Abdominal pain? Priority one, Hemorrhage??

Same way they dispatched the guy that fell off a ladder and onto a metal steak here last summer.

Priority 1 "rectal bleed - traumatic injury"

:lol: geez, where do you people work?no body has ever seen anything like this? ive been in the business too long to not see it,couple of times actually. one survived, one didnt. thats why we got the jobs we have, cause people are stupid enough to do stuff like that.how about a fist with a glove with three inch spikes sticking out all around it. should have heard that radio report.

:o OMG! How can the not have hurt! He didn't even scream in pain!! It was like he said, hmmm the glass broke... guess I should probably take that out (as he slowly pulls out the glass with no problem.) :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.