Personal Equipment Pack

brentoli

Actually, Bismarck is the capitol of North Dakota.

Grand Forks built an extensive diking system after the 1997 flood and officials believe it should handle this year's runoff, however it will be the first major test of the diking system, so there's still concern. It's still business-as-usual in Grand Forks. I work in Downtown Grand Forks, so really hope there's no problems.

Oscar: OK, my Oops on Bismark versus Fargo as the Capitol.

What I was told, Grand Forks did all that building of the new diking system, which, as you pointed out, is perhaps about to be tested. Fargo, per my brother in Grand Forks, either didn't, or did much less.

Do you live in Grand forks, or at least in North Dakota? You might know, or know of my sister-in-law, who runs the "United Way of Grand Forks ND/East Grand Forks MN, and environs, Inc", or at least that is what I think that local part of the United Way organization is called. Also, you might know of my brother, who is President of the North Dakota Historical Society.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oscar: OK, my Oops on Bismark versus Fargo as the Capitol.

What I was told, Grand Forks did all that building of the new diking system, which, as you pointed out, is perhaps about to be tested. Fargo, per my brother in Grand Forks, either didn't, or did much less.

Do you live in Grand forks, or at least in North Dakota? You might know, or know of my sister-in-law, who runs the "United Way of Grand Forks ND/East Grand Forks MN, and environs, Inc", or at least that is what I think that local part of the United Way organization is called. Also, you might know of my brother, who is President of the North Dakota Historical Society.

I live west of Grand Forks in a rural area - sorry, I don't believe I know your relatives. The river rise has slowed due to the cold weather, but another winter storm is going thru the area - some areas around Fargo are forecast to get up to a foot of snow (but forecasts are always a little suspect), which isn't needed, but hopefully the river will have receded by the time it melts, so it won't be a major issue. Grand Forks itself is still fine, however, some small towns and farms in the low-lying areas are having problems, tho.

Here in NJ we had 3 earthquakes just recently with in the past couple of months that I'm sure most people missed all together and we had a tornado run through my old neighborhood when i lived there and some homes were ruined. Thank god ours was missed but the local shop rite lost its roof and was shut down but the local fire co. people were in a panic. So the thought of having something happen is a very real thing even in a small town in south jersey where people think nothing will happen. Thats crazy mother nature can strike anywhere any time.

So these be ready bags and stuff are a great idea and we all should take heed and take examples from them to suit our needs.

I have taken a little from each quote and wrote it down to get right on it,because shameful to say we don't have on here, we did in our old house but at times it seem my illness rules this house and i need to change that and get back to the way it should be where i rule and these safety features are put in place. Thanks for the reminder how important these things are!

Packed on my back:

Water purification tablets

Fish hooks and line

Several disposable lighters

Vaseline soaked cotton balls (firestarter)

550 cord

Duct tape

LED microlight flashlights, several

LED flashlight, 90 lumens

LED headlamp

1qt nalgene bottle

Powerbars

Tennis ball

MRE, broken down into its individual components

3 pairs of socks and underwear

One pair pants

2 T shirts

Thermal base layer

Glock, 3 magazines

Knife, folding (Benchmade Griptillian)

Knife, fixed blade (Fallkniven S1, good for splitting small branches, digging, etc.)

Small bar soap

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Body powder

Baby wipes

Medications:

Antibiotics

Pain meds

NSAIDS

Antihistamines

Antinausea

Antidiarrheal

When traveling by vehicle:

5 gal water jug

Dog food

MREs

Rifle, 4 mags

'zilla

Would you want to share a shelter with people who were eating nothing but beans?

Te He !

First Query:

Depending on the situation, but someone sharing my shelter will have to contribute something or keep walking in a true survival situation.

I find it very interesting as to what this thread and those commenting consided "essential" and if this is the first time one has thought of this 72 hour prepardness, well it could be to way late for you.

I have 3 "kits" at the door.

1- "run away kit' strictly survival and when its - 36 C very similar to Zillas but added cold and wet weather gear.

2- "run away and help SAR kit" btw Do you need any swift water rescue support in N. D. ?

3- "stay put" and support my community (ps includes a generator) and has come in handy already, 4 cases of MREs ... ++++ dry food, brown rice is the best in my opinion, beans take way too much energy to cook.

Doczilla

Query 2: I see this is your light kit ... but wtf is the tennis ball for ? I dont have a pistol, just reach out and touch (someone/ moose) rifle and a 12ga cannon ... why fool around ?

If you would not mind some positive input ... Get a Sigg bottle for water ... dump the nalgene because one cant boil water in it, don't need iodine based water purification then.

My fire starters are Flint, (same one Bear Gillis uses) plus Zippo.

Doczilla

Query 2: I see this is your light kit ... but wtf is the tennis ball for ? I dont have a pistol, just reach out and touch (someone/ moose) rifle and a 12ga cannon ... why fool around ?

If you would not mind some positive input ... Get a Sigg bottle for water ... dump the nalgene because one cant boil water in it, don't need iodine based water purification then.

My fire starters are Flint, (same one Bear Gillis uses) plus Zippo.

I agree that a rifle is preferable. The pistol is for sudden close encounters while moving among other people, as we may have to travel around a crowd. I may not want to travel as conspicuously with my M4 unless the zombies come.

I like my old Zippo for style points, but it dries out every couple of months, requiring me to have a handy bottle of lighter fluid. The flint is okay, but to me, more work than just using a disposable Bic. The lighter holds its fuel forever. And at 3/$1, I can have several.

Appreciate the recommendation on the bottle. Good idea. I'll look into adding that. Right now the Nalgene (actually, polycarbonate) bottle also doubles as storage for the duct tape, a few turns of which are wrapped around it and holds many of the smaller items in my kit.

Tennis ball can serve multiple purposes. Chief among them is fighting off boredom and maintaining morale, which is extremely important in a bad situation. Good for not just us, but the dogs too. Other purposes:

Bleeding control. Put it in the armpit and tie the arm against the body, and it will put pressure on the axillary artery and vein. The same can be done in the groin. The ball can be placed directly over gauze on a wound and tied tightly, maintaining direct pressure.

Storing small items. Cut a slit in it and you can store small things you don't want lost. As an added benefit, it floats and is brightly colored.

Securing impaled objects. Cut it in half, then cut a slit halfway through it. No need to waste bulky rolls of precious gauze or other bandage material.

Cut into strips for finger splints.

Drinking cup (insulated!)

Makeshift clothes pin. Cut a slit in the ball. Squeeze the two ends of the cut together to open the "mouth", then release and it closes.

One thing I forgot to mention. The meds I keep are in a small plastic divided box, a "bead box" that I bought at a craft store for storing small items. As my injectable meds expire from my regular kits, I add them to this one.

Also forgot to mention the space blanket. Good for emergency warmth, a fire reflector, and signaling.

Never forget that you will not rise to the occasion, but sink to the level of your training: http://www.zombietargets.net/ :D

'zilla

WANTED

One Tennisball ...

Will exchange for MRE .. (Lung in a Bag aka Scrambled Egg with veggies) puke.

An M4 is not a bad idea, it detures the looters too.

Space Blanket doubles as a zombie "Cloaking Device"

ps get a good one the little shiny ones blow away in the slightest breeze suck.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

WANTED

One Tennisball ...

Will exchange for MRE .. (Lung in a Bag aka Scrambled Egg with veggies) puke.

Those are the WORST. Not enough Tabasco in the bottle to cover it up. Just gotta choke it down, telling myself, "it's protein, it's calories, it keeps the body going..."

Trade ya a cheese spread for a chocolate peanut butter?

'zilla

Would you want to share a shelter with people who were eating nothing but beans?

I sure wouldn't but it is a good idea to have. IF you have beans Don't forget the TP!!! :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.