Personal Equipment Pack

brentoli

Rome nice first response kit. But this case we are talking about a kit for your personal survival if you are in a disaster. Though I do see you could treat friends and family with it if needed. I would suggest you add more food and water to the kit as in a disaster it may be sveral days before you can get food and water.

Mine is mostly for deployment for State DOD, so addition food and such is there when I get there if it is longer than 2 days, I also do keep additional water bottled (about 3 Gal) and had a box of MERs in my apartment but that is not with my pack at all times.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RV---> Why carry all the size blades and no ET tubes or advanced airway... also are you licensed to use the laryngoscope? Just wondering....

My kit is a BP cuff, some 4x4, a case of water, a box of energy bars, some gatorade powder, and a flashlight... being 15 minutes from D.C. even I feel this is overkill most of the time. I'm generally not going to stop for a car accident unless is looks major...even then... without lights/sirens I will seriously assess the safety of stopping. For those of you who have traveled to the DC area... I-495 the Capital Beltway is horrific when it comes to safety and traffic. Plus EMS is no more than 10 minutes away... In the case of a disaster (I was in D.C. for 9/11) things aren't as bad as they seem... even hurricane isable which knocked out government for a few days... I don't have any memories of things being in disaster mode with people starving and no food. Where I am though a scenario such as Katrina and Rita are highly unlikely.

I could see the need if you live in a tornado/hurricane/flood/earthquake area but here in D.C... I don't foresee the Potomac River flooding that bad anytime soon so my case of water, power bars, gatorade powder and 4x4's and tape will have to do :)

II know I got carreied away on your request. Hope it helped some just to see another approach. Ohhh.. btw... I know its not politically correct to talk abut some subjects but l also keep three different firearms ready to take with and enough ammuntion to "last awhile." I do think of myself as a doomsday type person at all... just try and couple a few hobbies with 'being prepared," thats all. Have a great day. If anyone would like to expand on that subject away from the board, I'd be happy to visit awhile.

flapsdwn@aol.com

They wont let me play with guns... accidently shoot one person in the foot and firearms are banned ;) But seriously that in this day and age not too far off the mark especially where I live in the rural area you could shoot rabbits or squirrels to eat.

Oh and don't forget a bag of beans. Not much weight and is healthy. Feeds you for days.

Never thought of that one but its a great answer spenac are you sick? You have a good point there... (makes note to buy a bag of beans today at the store.)

I could see the need if you live in a tornado/hurricane/flood/earthquake area but here in D.C... I don't foresee the Potomac River flooding that bad anytime soon so my case of water, power bars, gatorade powder and 4x4's and tape will have to do :)

One never knows what freak of nature that can happen to us at any given point and time.

Does anyone else think that posting pictures of one's privately owned huge "72 hour pack" is a bit whackerish?

Sure, you may need one because of your status with agency X or whatever, but the comments about handling an MVC until EMS gets there, taking pictures and putting them on the Internet, buying shiny medical kits with the word "tactical" in the name, etc. scores high on my whacker-scale.

At the very least, someone seems to have a touch of what we here call shiny kit syndrome. :lol:

The site also lists more points and items to consider for a survival kit. Between current freak weather events and even possible terrorism not a bad idea to be ready.

Wonder why it does not include a gun?

http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html

Emergency Supply Kit

When preparing for a possible emergency situation, it's best to think first about the basics of survival: fresh water, food, clean air and warmth.

Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Emergency Supply Kit:

Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation

Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food

Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both

Flashlight and extra batteries

First aid kit

Whistle to signal for help

Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation

Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities

Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)

Local maps

Additional Items to Consider Adding to an Emergency Supply Kit:

Prescription medications and glasses

Infant formula and diapers

Pet food and extra water for your pet

Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container

Cash or traveler's checks and change

Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov

Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.

Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.

Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.

Fire Extinguisher

Matches in a waterproof container

Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items

Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels

Paper and pencil

Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

Water

One gallon of water per person per day, for drinking and sanitation.

Children, nursing mothers, and sick people may need more water.

If you live in a warm weather climate more water may be necessary.

Store water tightly in clean plastic containers such as soft drink bottles.

Keep at least a three-day supply of water per person.

Never thought of that one but its a great answer spenac are you sick? You have a good point there... (makes note to buy a bag of beans today at the store.)

Just keep a small pan to boil them in or make sure and keep empty can from canned food you eat and use it as a small pan.

Edited by spenac

scubamedic stated

I could see the need if you live in a tornado/hurricane/flood/earthquake area but here in D.C... I don't foresee the Potomac River flooding that bad anytime soon so my case of water, power bars, gatorade powder and 4x4's and tape will have to do

Actually, you do. It wasn't that long ago a hurricane came into the DC area, which got the US Army unit at the Tomb of the Unknowns, at Arlington National Cemetery, additional fame, as, when offered the chance to stay in shelter, they proudly declined, and continued the usual honor patrol, even in the extreme weather.

As for tornadoes, why would DC be exempt, the hot air coming from Congress push them away?

New York City suffered damage from one, on August 19, 2007. One doesn't think of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, as being on Hurricane Alley, but we had that tornado, and, while I cannot be as exact as to when, I know of 3 others that hit here, over the years.

Earthquakes? I am sure that there are currently undiscovered fault lines all around the country, and the world. My personal scariest is the one known to lie under the Indian Point Nuclear Power Station, in, I think, Buchanan, NY.

Floods could be from coastal tidal surges, storms overwhelming water drainage systems, or simply a busted pipe. As I write this, the residents of the capitol of North Dakota, in Fargo, are filling sand bags, as they are expecting flood waters from melting snow overfilling the Red River of the North. My brother is in Grand Forks, 70 miles north of Fargo, and I admit I am worried about him and his wife if conditions deteriorate (The Red River is a rarity in the US, as it runs North, into Canada. Most run at some degree of South, East or West into the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans, or the Gulf of Mexico).

I see you having to flee when civil unrest strikes when you consider the way the financial system is going and politicians are being blamed. You may be on the run to live.

RV---> Why carry all the size blades and no ET tubes or advanced airway... also are you licensed to use the laryngoscope? Just wondering....

I can't Intubate as an EMT-I civilian side but can when working with State Defense Force (DOD Scope of Practice vs Office of EMS Scope of Practice). I am not authorized to carry ET Tubes, IVs, Rx Drugs, or Advanced Airways Unless At work or under state active duty orders, carrying a Laryngoscope does not violate OEMS or DOD policy. I have ET Tubes and a CombiTube set up at home with my IV gear that I can add to my bag for a deployment.

scubamedic stated

Actually, you do. It wasn't that long ago a hurricane came into the DC area, which got the US Army unit at the Tomb of the Unknowns, at Arlington National Cemetery, additional fame, as, when offered the chance to stay in shelter, they proudly declined, and continued the usual honor patrol, even in the extreme weather.

As for tornadoes, why would DC be exempt, the hot air coming from Congress push them away?

New York City suffered damage from one, on August 19, 2007. One doesn't think of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, as being on Hurricane Alley, but we had that tornado, and, while I cannot be as exact as to when, I know of 3 others that hit here, over the years.

Earthquakes? I am sure that there are currently undiscovered fault lines all around the country, and the world. My personal scariest is the one known to lie under the Indian Point Nuclear Power Station, in, I think, Buchanan, NY.

Floods could be from coastal tidal surges, storms overwhelming water drainage systems, or simply a busted pipe. As I write this, the residents of the capitol of North Dakota, in Fargo, are filling sand bags, as they are expecting flood waters from melting snow overfilling the Red River of the North. My brother is in Grand Forks, 70 miles north of Fargo, and I admit I am worried about him and his wife if conditions deteriorate (The Red River is a rarity in the US, as it runs North, into Canada. Most run at some degree of South, East or West into the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans, or the Gulf of Mexico).

Actually, Bismarck is the capitol of North Dakota. I just got back from Fargo - spent 3 days there helping with the hospital/nursing home evacuations. The cold weather lately has really helped slow down the melt, which in turn has slowed the rise of the River. Things are mostly holding for now (there was a breech in north Fargo last night), but it's a day-to-day situation.

Grand Forks built an extensive diking system after the 1997 flood and officials believe it should handle this year's runoff, however it will be the first major test of the diking system, so there's still concern. It's still business-as-usual in Grand Forks. I work in Downtown Grand Forks, so really hope there's no problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.