Hi all! Just to introduce myself

raiker

Welcome to the city Federico! I am an EMT-b in Washington, USA B)

I hope you learn a lot and enjoy it here like I do. :)

And if you have any trouble with English... spell check is a great tool to use! ;)

Don't forget to send some pasta over this way! :D

Welcome to the city Federico! I am an EMT-b in Washington, USA B)

I hope you learn a lot and enjoy it here like I do. :)

And if you have any trouble with English... spell check is a great tool to use! ;)

Don't forget to send some pasta over this way! :D

Never heard about that tool..I'm going to download it now..I hope its free :P

My first question: where can I find an explanation of all your qualifications like EMT-B , EMT-I and so on?? Cuz here we do not have them!! Just to understand what you all are talking about :P

Welcome, Frederico! It's great to have you here!

I believe the spellchecker that Kat was referring to is the built-in tool that used to be on this site. It's not here anymore, although I think they are going to be adding it soon. We just went through many changes here, and that is one of them that is not yet finished.

EMS education, training, and certification in the US is very unorganised, with much variation between each state. We have a National Registry that administers the certification test for most states, but other states use their own exam. There is no one licence that is good throughout the entire country.

Despite the differences, the standards are very similar across the country, and you can start finding info at the National Registry website, which is http://www.nremt.org

Basically, EMT-Basic is just a 120 hour first aid course that is completed in anywhere from 3 weeks full-time to 6 months part-time. The better schools, usually at colleges, last twice that many hours. In the bigger and better cities and systems, the EMT-B only does first responder work or work on non-emergency ambulances, and does not work on an EMS ambulance. However, in many rural areas, where they rely on volunteers, you will find EMT-Bs on the EMS ambulance too. Bandages and oxygen are really about all they are capable of.

The EMT-Paramedic is a minimum of 700 hours of training that is done in as little as 10 weeks in the bad, inner city systems. Typically it is around twice that many hours though, and lasts a year to two years. Some states require two years of college education to be a paramedic, and others are moving that direction. This is the level that is required for advanced life support like IV, drug administration, airway control, and cardiac monitoring and defibrillation.

Some states still have an EMT-Intermediate level in-between the EMT and the Paramedic level, and what they are trained to do varies from state to state. Usually, it is just IV administration and airway intubation, but no cardiac care.

Hope that gives you an overview. It's actually not a very good system compared to much of Europe, but we're working on it!

I believe the spellchecker that Kat was referring to is the built-in tool that used to be on this site. It's not here anymore, although I think they are going to be adding it soon. We just went through many changes here, and that is one of them that is not yet finished.

EMS education, training, and certification in the US is very unorganised, with much variation between each state. We have a National Registry that administers the certification test for most states, but other states use their own exam. There is no one licence that is good throughout the entire country.

Despite the differences, the standards are very similar across the country, and you can start finding info at the National Registry website, which is http://www.nremt.org

Basically, EMT-Basic is just a 120 hour first aid course that is completed in anywhere from 3 weeks full-time to 6 months part-time. The better schools, usually at colleges, last twice that many hours. In the bigger and better cities and systems, the EMT-B only does first responder work or work on non-emergency ambulances, and does not work on an EMS ambulance. However, in many rural areas, where they rely on volunteers, you will find EMT-Bs on the EMS ambulance too. Bandages and oxygen are really about all they are capable of.

The EMT-Paramedic is a minimum of 700 hours of training that is done in as little as 10 weeks in the bad, inner city systems. Typically it is around twice that many hours though, and lasts a year to two years. Some states require two years of college education to be a paramedic, and others are moving that direction. This is the level that is required for advanced life support like IV, drug administration, airway control, and cardiac monitoring and defibrillation.

Some states still have an EMT-Intermediate level in-between the EMT and the Paramedic level, and what they are trained to do varies from state to state. Usually, it is just IV administration and airway intubation, but no cardiac care.

Hope that gives you an overview. It's actually not a very good system compared to much of Europe, but we're working on it!

Thanks dustdevil!! Really a great explanation.. now i understand a little more than before, and i have to admit that your system is prettier complicated.

Here we don't have different quali's, like EMT or Paramedics.. Here only Nurse can get IV access, and only doctors can administrate drugs and intubate.

We can do cardiac care like monitoring and defibrillating only if trained and qualified to do it.

We work a lot with medics and nurse, so we don't need to get IV or to Intubate..

I'm pretty new in this "system" so i really do not know wich one is better :) i'm here just to have a larger knowledge of the ems also in other countries, and to share and meet with all of you!

I'm gonna visit that website soon ;)

regards!

Basically, EMT-Basic is just a 120 hour first aid course that is completed in anywhere from 3 weeks full-time to 6 months part-time. Bandages and oxygen are really about all they are capable of.

I wont bore you with alot of words about the abilities of the EMT-B, instead I will refer you to some of the areas the EMT-B has to be proficient in, by allowing you to read some of the type of questions that are on the National Registry test . Have a look at

http://www.emtb.com/9e/online_chapter_pretests.cfm

Good luck in your chosen field.

Tom

I wont bore you with alot of words about the abilities of the EMT-B

That would take all of two minutes. How boring could it get in two minutes?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.