Sorry Can't Help, I'm on Break - EMT Admits Incompetence

spenac

And surely if you did respond you would be allowed to restart your break afterwards.

Under local protocols here in the FDNY EMS, that would be a negative.

Please note the 2 words in italics, we've established that for whatever reasons, NYC is a law unto itself. There's probably other areas around this 3rd rock from the sun where it is the same, or not!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the volly squad I run with we do not have a set protocol for breaks. I guess its different if you are a paid service.

Yup. Amazing the amount of people who think that US law applies to countries outside the US, before any other law.

The silly assumption was that the U.S. work ethic can be found in Europe.

Obviously not.

The work ethic is one of the biggest differences between cultures I have seen.

You are not going to get someone in the UK bragging about having 3 jobs, when they can easily get by with one.

As a generalization, just with what I have experienced working in both countries, and by no means typical of every job or profession...

US - spend less time off sick

UK - spend more time on vacation

US - has more jobs

UK - has more job benefits

US - has higher wages for the same job, even factoring in the exchange rate (paramedic pay is less though)

UK - pay more tax

US - need to consider healthcare insurance

UK - has more people to fight your corner if you lose your job

US - everyone is expendable and replaceable

UK - doesn't nurture, subsidize, and encourage professional development

US - does

UK - meal breaks are a right

US - meal breaks are a privilege

US - the constant fear of litigation drives working practice

UK - not nearly to the same degree

ergo...

US - work harder

UK - work smarter

Both places have their good points and bad points as far as employment goes.

Everything you just described was basically benefits being given to the workers in UK. How exactly does that translate into working smarter?

I couldn't agree more on that statement. Admittedly this was not a clever thing to do, but everyone here should first take the time to research the politics of meal breaks in the UK before shouting their mouths off.

Some people here are just determined to qualify my preconception of Yanks and their big mouths. Luckily, they are in the minority.

WM

My bad I wasn't aware that there is politics involved when it comes to meal breaks, especially when it comes to EMS.. Next time granny or little Tommy decides to code during my meal break...they will just have to wait. Im sure the patient and the family will understand.... <_<

Everything you just described was basically benefits being given to the workers in UK

I think you will find it was intentionally evenly balanced, or at least the best I could do without bending the truth.

How exactly does that translate into working smarter?

The term is subjective, and in reference to the general work "ethic". As I said, I was speaking from personal experience of working and living in both countries for many years, and under many different employers. I wonder if anyone else can share the same experience, or if they are merely chipping in conjecture, based on not knowing what they don’t know.

For the growing Army of doubting Thomas’s, you may want to look (closely) into the fundamental differences in healthcare manual handling regulations between both countries. Then you may see where I am coming from.

Ambulance hydraulic ramps and stretchers, a much greater emphasis on encouraging the patient to ambulate if no contras (apparently some places in the US will "carry" the patient to the ambulance for a cut finger - as recently revealed in a thread on EMT life), not to mention the "no lift policy" in effect for UK healthcare workers. The use of slide sheets, inflatable lateral assist devices, and hoists are the norm, not the exception. I would be lying if I said it had eradicated stress injuries though, and I know machinery can break, but a step in the right direction.

Working smarter, not harder.

Ambulance hydraulic ramps and stretchers, a much greater emphasis on encouraging the patient to ambulate if no contras (apparently some places in the US will "carry" the patient to the ambulance for a cut finger - as recently revealed in a thread on EMT life), not to mention the "no lift policy" in effect for UK healthcare workers. The use of slide sheets, inflatable lateral assist devices, and hoists are the norm, not the exception. I would be lying if I said it had eradicated stress injuries though, and I know machinery can break, but a step in the right direction.

Working smarter, not harder.

I agree in this regard you guys have us beat big time. But you see in the USA there are so many whacker want a bes it is cheaper to let us get injured and hire a replacement than to buy the right equipment. I started a thread about you guys rear door lifts. I want one but can't find a USA company to build it as they say there is no market here for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.