Sorry Can't Help, I'm on Break - EMT Admits Incompetence

spenac

I am sorry to say that the public's perception sometimes trumphs reality. That is why when someone pulls a blunder reported in the news medias, I declare myself to have a defacto "black eye", even if I have never heard of the individual, or their department, even their location, prior to that minute.

One persons incompetence, perceived or otherwise, is a poor way to make a judgment on an entire service.

Never underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people.

(Author Unknown)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ethics and morals aside, if the responces portraying how breaks are taken in the UK are accurate, then I'm not sure why this hasn't come up before or more often. (or maybe it has and just didn't get as much media attention or the medics went to help...who knows). Unless you are taking your break away from your ambulance and out of uniform, the possibility of getting requested for a call is still there; forget getting dispatched, all it takes (as can be seen from the original example) is someone walking up and asking for your help. If that happens, you've really only got 3 answers: 1)sure, let's go. 2)nope, I'm on break, let me call you an ambulance. 3)nope, I'm on break. Right or wrong legally speaking, which do you think will cause a problem?

If that happens, you've really only got 3 answers: 1)sure, let's go. 2)nope, I'm on break, let me call you an ambulance. 3)nope, I'm on break. Right or wrong legally speaking, which do you think will cause a problem?

1) Best answer, while calling in that you're "flagged", with the location.

2) Not that good an answer, but at least the crew is doing something, even if it is requesting another unit to handle.

3) Per the ethics I was trained on, and raised on, not the answer anybody wants to hear when asking for help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.