To Go National Registry Or Not

tom5706

I have to disagree with the last poster.

Taking the degree program absolutly makes you a better medic. Higher education is something we can all benefit from. That random "computer class" will only benefit you in the coming years as PCR's move to computers and 12leads/EKG are sent to computers to increase our ability to recognize dysrythmias.

I am so sick of new medics that just do the minimum and think they are strong medics because they can establish Iv's and sink tubes. People, these are Monkey skills that even bucketheads can do. These do not make you a good medic. A good medic knows their meds and when to use them, can recognize EKG dysrthmias and not just the basic ones, dont just look for tombstones to know when a stemi is occuring. I am so sick of these medics that just do the minimum in school and then get their medic just to get on a fire dept and suck.

We are never going to move forward as a profession with just a certificate program to establish you position in our field. I hope the degree program becomes the standard. So many of us are not great in school but you need to be able to read, have advanced math skills etc. Higher learning creates higher thinking, instead of cookbook medicine. Anyone can learn an algorithm or run a "code". Codes can be the easiest calls you ever do, but when you get that sick medical emergency are you going to shit your pants and rely on your partner or step up and know what you are doing.

We as a profession need to take all the courses we can, get all the certifications we can and constantly relearn and upgrade our knowledge.

If you think that taking your National is only useful if your are going to move, then you are lazy. Having your state and national shows you actually care about your professional and realize that just the minimum isnt enough. The national can actually be quite useful, expecally if you have been a medic 1+ year. It causes you to go back and study, relearn and bring out knowledge that you may have put in the back of your head.

We are never going to move up as a profession and progress unless we all take it upon ourselves to bring up the standard and make a cutoff line for these lazy, incompetant medics. The EMT to Medics that had to right taking the EMT course in the first place. I am an FTO at my job and I see it time and time again lately, these kids who are great in school, can regurgitate knowledge with the best of them, but when it comes to applying it, see ya later... just another transfer medic in the making. If the schools are going to continue just passing these kids through over and over again, then we as a profesion need to step up the standard and create some sort of filter. I can tell you one thing, I wouldnt want many of these people taking care of my sick family memeber. Would you?

-Boston

disclaimer: this is my opinion and hope that other agree. Dont take these views too personally and if you do, it may be a wake up call to go and bring your self up to a new standard.

You misinterpreted what I was saying. A degree program does make you a better medic in the long run.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"or some random computer skills class probably does not make you a better paramedic,"

Sorry you did not say in the long run, however... I think even in the short scheme of things it really does make you a better medic

Like I said before a good medic brings strong knowledge and transfers it to their actions.

I think if you wanted to go get a bachelor in business, it would create higher thinking and thus a better medic as opposed to just the minimum certificate program. Coupled with experience, if its for you... you will succeed

"or some random computer skills class probably does not make you a better paramedic,"

Sorry you did not say in the long run, however... I think even in the short scheme of things it really does make you a better medic

Like I said before a good medic brings strong knowledge and transfers it to their actions.

I think if you wanted to go get a bachelor in business, it would create higher thinking and thus a better medic as opposed to just the minimum certificate program. Coupled with experience, if its for you... you will succeed

Sorry for not spelling out things more clearly. "random computer class" was said because the classes vary from program to program. If you want my to list them so you will be happy, I will.

My post was stating that the more education you get, the better. No matter what the class.

Let's see - today is the 7th, so 7 days ago, I lost my NR licensure and it was a very sad day. I can't blame anyone for it but muself. I procrastinated and ended up not having my ITLS. I benefited from having my Registry initially. My school was in Ohio and I decided I'd like to work in Las Vegas. I was grateful I had my NR! You have to have your registry to sit for the protocol test and even ride. However, when I moved back to Ohio, I wasn't on the ball with my CEUs and classes. And for my own fault and lack of foresight, I now would have to retest the practical and written portions. Although I initially passed each with flying colors, I can't lie - I'm scared that I'll blank on pedi intubation or the combi tube. What if I forget to add dressings to a wound before elevating? What if my backboard straps aren't tight enough for the proctor (god forbid it's the KED I have to do). I plan on getting my Registry back, but I also plan on studying my butt of so I pass with flying colors again.

Go for it, get your Registry cert - If nothing else, but for the pride of knowing you are certified at that level. It's not easy, but it's not supposed to be! You'll feel so accomplished when you're done that it'll be worth every penny invested into testing!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.