To Go National Registry Or Not

tom5706

I am thinking about testing at the National Registry. I am a Basic EMT x 1 year+. Keep in mind I am cert in New York. I have read practice tests on line for the NR and it seems very close to the State test. My question is this. Aside from the ability to have NREMT next to my name, what bennies do I receive for having that title. I was told by one person that NY does not recognize the NR title. The course testing is 70.00 which is really not in my budget.

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Thanks,

Tom

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY will join the 90% of the rest of the US who recognize the NR sooner or later. My NY State EMT-P practicals were the NR practicals, so I only ever took 1 practical and 2 written tests for both State and NR accreditations.

I also read that there is a drive by the NREMT, that by 2014, to have only 4 recognized EMT certs nationally. At this time there are noticeably more bridge courses popping up from EMT-CC to paramedic, so I am sure CC is for the chop in the near future, when NY goes completely NR.

So, yes, I would go for NR. Anything that is not a protocol exam can only be a good thing.

I understand your concerns with getting a national registry title. My input for you is to go for it. I'm suprised to hear that there are states that do not recognize that, but here's the deal: What if something happened and you had to move to another state, for whatever the reason may be, if you hold a national registry card, you will be able to work in that state at your cert level, until you can get the new state's emt state card. National registry allows you to work anywhere in the united states. If you decide that you need a change of scenery, well then with national registry it will be easier for you to get hired on somewhere else and it buys you time to obtain the new state card. I strongly recommend that you go ahead and go for it.

i too am looking to take the nremt-b exam. some say its not worth it cause if you go to another state you have to take their exam. to me its worth taking are you using any study guides or just re-reading your text. i am hoping to take it in the next month. good luck.

The states I have looked at require the first responder, basic, and intermediate to take a refresher course, pass their test, pay them money.

At the Paramedic the states I have looked at just require my money.

So I would say no for you as a basic. Besides even if NY goes NR they will not can you for not having it.

Reciprocity. If the state you are moving to requires it.

I really wish you people would quit encouraging yet more New Yorkers to move to other states. It has already destroyed Floridia as it is, and threatens to destroy Texas too. :rolleyes:

But Tom, look at it a different way. It is not about putting letters after your name. It is not about the card or the patch. It is not even about interstate reciprocity. It is about your professional development. It is about challenging yourself and your knowledge. Don't you want to know where your competency stands in comparison to the national standard? You should! Also, check with the state, as they may award you CEUs simply for taking the test. Most states do, because it is quality practice and a learning experience that everyone learns from.

i echo what everyone else has said, get your NR while everything is fresh in your head. I would say the same thing for any instructor certifications you can get. You may never use it, but it gives you opportunities for the future. You never know what life will throw at you.

Also note that you may not know what the qualifiers for NR certification will be in 5-10 years; if they increase the standards, you may not qualify without taking another course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.