West Virgina

emtmccall

nice but tell me, what are you able to do with the 12 lead except notify your hospital that you are bringing a stemi in or whatever?m

edit::::

I was just on the west virginia protocols from your state ems bureau and I didn't find anywhere in the protocols 6000 that you can do a 12 lead. here is the website that I looked at. they were updated for 2008 if I read correctly. http://www.wvoems.org/media/37713/6000%20protocols.pdf

I did two searches one search for 12 lead and then a 2nd search for EKG and each of those turned up 0 (zero) results.

I'd be curious if there are other places that have the use of 12 leads listed out. If you can enlighten me or others on this I'd be appreciative.

Hello form North Central WV alot going on in WV EMS eletronic pcr, EMT-I program, 12 lead EKG for EMT-B so drop me a line and let me know what eles is knew in your state

Yes the electronic PCR will be here soon. The state has just developed the EMT-I protocols within the past year, if I remember correctly it is the I-99 standards, I am not even sure where the I-99 classes will be held, I dont know if it will be a RESA Public Service Training class, or I hope a college level class.. As for 12 lead EKG's for EMT-B's, I am pretty sure they are allowed to acuire the EKG, with training and the Squads Medical Director blessing, but unless they use telemetry to transmit the EKG to the ED, and the ED may determine if the MCP wants to you to divert to a cardiac cath. center. EMT-B's ARE NOT allowed to "read" the strip, lead placement, STEMI recognition, these skills are just simply not taught at that level in RESA classes.

Yes the electronic PCR will be here soon. The state has just developed the EMT-I protocols within the past year, if I remember correctly it is the I-99 standards, I am not even sure where the I-99 classes will be held, I dont know if it will be a RESA Public Service Training class, or I hope a college level class.. As for 12 lead EKG's for EMT-B's, I am pretty sure they are allowed to acuire the EKG, with training and the Squads Medical Director blessing, but unless they use telemetry to transmit the EKG to the ED, and the ED may determine if the MCP wants to you to divert to a cardiac cath. center. EMT-B's ARE NOT allowed to "read" the strip, lead placement, STEMI recognition, these skills are just simply not taught at that level in RESA classes.

Acquiring the 12 lead is one thing but the OP made it seem like they were getting them and reading them.

But I digress. If no telemetry or transmitting capability then it's good as a baseline for the doc to see but not much else.

Yes Ruffems, I agreee the OP did make it sound like the state was allowing EMT-B's to "read' 12 lead EKG's, all I wanted to emphasize is that is just simply not true. I have been ALS back up to rural BLS only squads, it does make it nice when I am handed a quality 12 lead tracing when I get there.

Welcome emtmccall to the forums.

Acquiring the 12 lead is one thing but the OP made it seem like they were getting them and reading them.

But I digress. If no telemetry or transmitting capability then it's good as a baseline for the doc to see but not much else.

Thaks for your concern The 12 Lead EKG is used for a premedicated EKG before Asprin or Nitro, and yes we have transmitting capabilaty to a life net recieving station at medical command, and it is done by training of are medical director

Thaks for your concern The 12 Lead EKG is used for a premedicated EKG before Asprin or Nitro, and yes we have transmitting capabilaty to a life net recieving station at medical command, and it is done by training of are medical director

thanks for the clarification. I do agree that if you have transmitting capability and you get the 12 lead before you give nitro or ASA that it serves a purpose.

Hopefully with you doing a 12 lead on a patient that you have ALS backup on the way.

thanks again for the clarification and welcome to the city EMTMcall

Ruffems,

It really depends on what part of the state he is from, some of the more rural counties only have BLS squads. I respond as ALS back up to as many as 3 counties any given day, and one county in Ohio. Our service does training with the BLS only squads to help them understand what exactly is needed from them when we get on scene. i.e. a detailed SAMPLE history, and OPQRST ASPN.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.