What Do You Do In This Fictional Situation?

rpcarnell

Forgive my ignorance in advance. I am a newbie in need of professional help.

What do you do in this situation?

Driver crashes against a tree. His right leg is fractured and a few ribs are broken. He climbs out of the car even though the dashboard shot forward and is pinning him against the steering wheel.

It is raining, and since he is unable to walk because of a broken leg, he drags himself close to the road while getting wet. This is Wisconsin, so the rain is cold.

I am assuming that the paramedics arriving at the scene will stabilize his right leg first. Then they will use a cervical collar to stabilize the neck. They will do all this while asking him questions just to test his mental faculties.

That's what my research says, but it seems dealing with a C-cord injury is the first thing that must be done. I am assuming checking for signs of hypothermia is a must as well.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but is a Scoop-Stretcher necessary in a case like this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever nothing. Your first post is spent outlining a situation in such a way that clearly tells us you aren't in EMS, asking questions about what EMS personnel would do in a given situation.

Since most actual authors have the stones to actually say so in order to get quality, accurate information that would make their novels more life-like and fact-based, the only scenario I'm left with is that you're fishing for information in regards to a potential or current legal action in which the actions of an EMS crew are in question for whatever reason.

I guarantee that I won't be the only member of this site to think the same thing after they read your post.

Are you kidding me????!!! Even newbies in the business knows this answer. I don't know who you are but go somewhere else! Don't insult our intelligence with this stupid scenario. We have been in the business a lot longer than you are thinking. Even us old farts will protect the "true" newbies and you aren't one of those!!!

Forgive my ignorance in advance. I am a newbie in need of professional help.

What do you do in this situation?

Driver crashes against a tree. His right leg is fractured and a few ribs are broken. He climbs out of the car even though the dashboard shot forward and is pinning him against the steering wheel.

It is raining, and since he is unable to walk because of a broken leg, he drags himself close to the road while getting wet. This is Wisconsin, so the rain is cold.

I am assuming that the paramedics arriving at the scene will stabilize his right leg first. Then they will use a cervical collar to stabilize the neck. They will do all this while asking him questions just to test his mental faculties.

That's what my research says, but it seems dealing with a C-cord injury is the first thing that must be done. I am assuming checking for signs of hypothermia is a must as well.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but is a Scoop-Stretcher necessary in a case like this?

I guarantee that I won't be the only member of this site to think the same thing after they read your post.

That's what it looks like to me.

Although if this is fishing for "legal" information, the OP may just have made a huge mistake by stating on a public forum that the events are from a "Fictional Situation". Or to put it another way, an admission that said events never actually occurred.

Case dismissed!

the only scenario I'm left with is that you're fishing for information in regards to a potential or current legal action in which the actions of an EMS crew are in question for whatever reason.

First of all, I am not in the US, where you can file civil suits against everyone for dumb reasons like getting hurt while stepping on a IV Bag (yes, I read that post).

I am in Panama, where ambulances are donated by Taiwan, and there are only 10 of them for a city of 800,000 people, and the equipment is probably lacking, so the procedures I have witnessed might be different. Here, they put a cervical collar around your neck. Then they put you on a plastic stretcher, which they use to put you on another stretcher, and they take you to an ambulance. Maybe in the US that may seem primitive.

And yes, I am a writer, and you are right. I didn't have to stones to actually say that, since writers are a-dime-a-dozen worldwide, and sometimes people refuse to cooperate with them for fear that they will become too annoying. As an Electrical Engineer, I wouldn't like having writers making questions about electronic equipment all the time.

Forgive me for being annoying. You can remove my account if you think I came here to cause trouble.

Here, they put a cervical collar around your neck. Then they put you on a plastic stretcher, which they use to put you on another stretcher, and they take you to an ambulance. Maybe in the US that may seem primitive.

Not really, it's about as good as it gets here too.

Always be up front and honest. Let us make the decision to help you, with us you will get honest answers/feelings. Standard of care is correct take care of the neck, hypothermia....if they have scoop and then put on a stretcher thats ok to if that is all you have. I have been in a country more primative than yours. Stabilize with the materials you have sometimes is never enough. Good luck in your quest.

the only scenario I'm left with is that you're fishing for information in regards to a potential or current legal action in which the actions of an EMS crew are in question for whatever reason.

First of all, I am not in the US, where you can file civil suits against everyone for dumb reasons like getting hurt while stepping on a IV Bag (yes, I read that post).

I am in Panama, where ambulances are donated by Taiwan, and there are only 10 of them for a city of 800,000 people, and the equipment is probably lacking, so the procedures I have witnessed might be different. Here, they put a cervical collar around your neck. Then they put you on a plastic stretcher, which they use to put you on another stretcher, and they take you to an ambulance. Maybe in the US that may seem primitive.

And yes, I am a writer, and you are right. I didn't have to stones to actually say that, since writers are a-dime-a-dozen worldwide, and sometimes people refuse to cooperate with them for fear that they will become too annoying. As an Electrical Engineer, I wouldn't like having writers making questions about electronic equipment all the time.

Forgive me for being annoying. You can remove my account if you think I came here to cause trouble.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.