Need Some Help With Learning Emt Basic Drugs

liz

Hey guys Im in the Emt-b class right now and today is our first test I am so very excited to be going into this field however I know it is going to be a very challeging class I need alot of help learning the classes of the 8 drugs that me the basic Emt will be able to admister I know all of them just need help with the classes and dosages

thanks

Title changed to reflect content....AK

Liz,

Welcome to the sit here. First of all let me congratulate you on deciding to join EMS, it's a decision that you are likely not to regret.

I think you need to be a little more specific with your question when it comes to druga and their dosages. Also remember that there any number of sources you can consult on the net. You will also find that a particular dosage varies from region to region, depending on the current opinion of your medical director.

Having said that, feel free to pose a specific question here, I'm sure there will be someone willing to help.

WM

In Michigan, the only drugs EMT-Bs are allowed to give are oxygen and oral glucose paste. They can assist patients with inhalers, nitroglycerin and aspirin if the patient has these already. Not quite sure what other drugs you may be referring to...

I'm sure s/he's referring to the drugs that IN HIS/HER STATE he may administer. Since s/he mentioned there are 8 of them, I'd think it's safe to say s/he's not in Michigan, therefore telling him/her all you can administer is oxygen and oral glucose is kind of pointless wouldn't you say?

I could list off all 11 medications (plus one assist med) that my state's EMT-Bs can administer, but how would that help him/her learn his 8?

you can also assist the pt. with a prescribed epi-pen if the pt has it with them.

Says who? S/He hasn't told us what the authorized meds are yet. Maybe s/he's not permitted to assist with an epi pen.

I'm sure s/he's referring to the drugs that IN HIS/HER STATE he may administer. Since s/he mentioned there are 8 of them, I'd think it's safe to say s/he's not in Michigan, therefore telling him/her all you can administer is oxygen and oral glucose is kind of pointless wouldn't you say?

:rolleyes: if you say so.

I agree.. flash cards work well. I quiz my students several times during the class to ensure that they are aware of the correct dosages, indications for use, and any contraindications that may take place.

Good Luck!

Jo

Actually I would be interested to hear what eight drugs EMTs are giving in other parts of the country. I can only think of a few: oxygen, oral glucose, epi pen, activated charcoal.... maybe assist with nebs, ASA, and NTG? I donno what else.

Memorizing 8 drugs (whatever they may be) shouldn't be that hard. Like others have said, it helps to make flash cards with their info on them and then just quiz yourself for a while. You'll get it.

Hand write a card with the following:

1. Generic name

2. Brand Name

3. Classification - may be more than one

4. Sub-classification - may be more than one

5. Actions/theraputic effects

6. Indications for use

7. Contraindications

8. Adverse reactions/side effects

9. Interactions with other drugs

10. Adult dosages

11. Pedi dosages

12. Precautions

13. Overdose management - even if something you can not do.

Then carry them with you and read them every free moment you get. Then quiz yourself by writing all the above by memory. Do this from day one and you will know your drugs. It is good practice to do this with every drug your service carrys even if you can not push them so you will be a better partner.